Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu: Edu forums

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hi mods, I just wanted to comment on the Edu forums. There are 38 items in this list, and I think it might need some sub-forum grouping.

Or at least one, moving the colleges into their own sub-forum, for e.g:
    Educational Institutions > Carlow IT, Cork IT, etc

The reason behind this: I've always bypassed the Edu group because I thought it was simply a list of colleges/schools/etc. However there are some good forums in there for us poor souls already in the workforce.

The same doesn't really apply to the Sports menu, as its a simple A-Z of sports, so is easy to navigate. Edu contains a slightly more varied range of topics, so some grouping might help a little.

Just a friendly suggestion for you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Interesting suggestion.

Anything that makes the Edu category more accessible is good in my opinion.

Any of the Edu mods have an opinion on the matter?

Something along the lines of

1st/2nd Level -> Leaving Cert, Junior Cert, Primary/Pre School, etc.
    Third Level -> All the colleges/universities
    Studying-> Mature/Distance/IT Certification

Is that what you are thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Yeah thats about right.

Any kind of intuitive grouping really. Colleges/schools could be grouped by region, or whatever really.

I'm sure a quick discussion between the relevant mods would result in a decent plan.

bw wrote: »
    I'm sure a quick discussion between the relevant mods would result in a decent plan.

I'll have my people look into it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'll have my people look into it.

When your people decided to talk to my people, let me know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Actually it's a good idea I think. Until the OP mentioned it, I never realised there was some boards there not directly targeted at full-time students. It'd reduce the clutter of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

FWIW, the whole sub-categories thing didn't work great with Biz and will soon to be put back to a list of about twelve forums. Obviously there are three times as many in Edu so that probably changes things, but it's worth mentioning.

Also Tom, if there were a re-jig, might be worth seeing if any can be merged/dropped at the same time.

Also Tom, if there were a re-jig, might be worth seeing if any can be merged/dropped at the same time.

Yeah, I'm thinking the TCD and UCD forums are more hassle than they are worth.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, I'm thinking the TCD and UCD forums are more hassle than they are worth.
    Yeah, sure I'll just merge them. They're both by-and-large identical - both based in Dublin, both Universities, both offering relatively low standards of education (no offence, Tom) but highly regarded*, both forums have almost the self-same threads and both forums are overrun by hacks.

*Anyone, and I mean anyone who pulls international rankings/stats or any rankings to differentiate between the two will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My idea: Categories with sub forums under the following headings.

Second Level>JC/LC/Union of Secondary(Maybe even get rid of it)/Transition Year

ITs>DIT/DKIT/Carlow IT etc.

NUIs>TCD/UCD/DCU/UCC/NUIM/NUIG/UL

Other (Maybe Private Colleges)>Griffith.

They'd be main headings, then have the not so specific things out in the drop down menu (Teaching and Lecturing, Distance/Part Time, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Fad wrote: »

They'd be main headings, then have the not so specific things out in the drop down menu (Teaching and Lecturing, Distance/Part Time, etc)

I like your idea.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think when we get the menu system sorted I'll be a lot happier sub-dividing the list into sub categories...

At the moment subcategorising tends to seem like a good idea but always ends up burying the forums... the new menu sub categorises them but keeps the flattened structure (if you get me).

DeV.

*Anyone, and I mean anyone who pulls international rankings/stats or any rankings to differentiate between the two will be banned.

Pfft, who needs real rankings when we can Google Fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

FWIW, the whole sub-categories thing didn't work great with Biz and will soon to be put back to a list of about twelve forums. Obviously there are three times as many in Edu so that probably changes things, but it's worth mentioning.

It's a bit different though. For Biz, the categories are a bit broad whereas sub-categories like Second Level, Third Level etc are much more specific.

ITs - DIT, WIT

NUIs - TCD

:) There may be trouble ahead...

Is the attached the type of thing that people were suggesting, if using the new menu (as DeVore said)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It might be useful to start a QUB forum, test the waters of course first regarding demand for one etc... Yeh, I agree on the merging of the UCD-TCD forums, there all the same anyway. Tipperary Institute might not need a forum with the publication of the An Bord Snip Nua Report.;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dónal wrote: »
    :) There may be trouble ahead...

Is the attached the type of thing that people were suggesting, if using the new menu (as DeVore said)?

Yes, thats exactly what I was thinking of. Nice one Donal (see the attachement on Donals post at the end of page 1... click the [>] icon at the end of his quoted name above to be taken there...).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

[pedant]TCD, DCU and UL aren't NUI's[/pedant]

[**** stirrer]They're fake universities[/**** stirrer] :P

OK, serious reply:
    bw wrote:
    The reason behind this: I've always bypassed the Edu group because I thought it was simply a list of colleges/schools/etc. However there are some good forums in there for us poor souls already in the workforce.
    That's a very valid point and not something I would have thought of before.

I think Fad's idea is good but I wouldn't go splitting the educational institutes based on whether they're NUI's or IT's because their status may change at some point: a sub cat heading like "Third Level" would probably cover that.

Then maybe have the other forums together in the drop down menu or else in a separate "Other" subcategory?

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd go for institutions A-Z. Then it'd be easier to pick out the other forums from the institutional forums.

[**** stirrer]They're fake universities[/**** stirrer] :P

Pfft. Trinity became a univerity in 1592, each of the NUIs only became universities in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

bw wrote: »
    Hi mods, I just wanted to comment on the Edu forums. There are 38 items in this list, and I think it might need some sub-forum grouping.

Or at least one, moving the colleges into their own sub-forum, for e.g:
    Educational Institutions > Carlow IT, Cork IT, etc

The same doesn't really apply to the Sports menu, as its a simple A-Z of sports, so is easy to navigate. Edu contains a slightly more varied range of topics, so some grouping might help a little.

Just a friendly suggestion for you.
    Interesting suggestion.

Anything that makes the Edu category more accessible is good in my opinion.

Any of the Edu mods have an opinion on the matter?

Something along the lines of

Is that what you are thinking?

It's really nice to see a constructive thread on Feedback for once! I think the idea of reorganising the EDU category into 2nd Level/3rd Level/Studying/Teaching is a good one. I'd be against categorising by whether it's an IT or University as it seems a bit uneccessary. People will know if they're looking for a 3rd level institution or not and can search under "3rd Level".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Thanks all for the replies.

The screenshot of the new menu looks pretty good.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The only reasoning behind splitting it into NUIs (Or Unis or whatever) & ITs was that if we were sticking with the current menu layout, the lists wouldnt be stupidly long, not exclusion or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I for one, where I may not be the most frequent of posters on either, am against the merging of TCD-UCD. Both do contain seperate issues and I reckon would just cause more hassle for those posting in them. Rivalry might even heighten. Just my two cents.

Jammyc wrote: »
    I for one, where I may not be the most frequent of posters on either, am against the merging of TCD-UCD. Both do contain seperate issues and I reckon would just cause more hassle for those posting in them. Rivalry might even heighten. Just my two cents.

Nah it'd be grand, the mods of the HaUToQE,ND forum would give those cute UCD students at least one shiny thread to post in I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not mad about "Studying", likely to confuse ... "Lifelong learning" or "Returning to study" or some such, perhaps?

Also, any chance of introducing a core forum for the discussion of broad educational issues which impact across the board?

At the moment such issues either get discussed / duplicated in a number of forums, OR more often don't get properly discussed at all because they don't really fit into the individual forums, OR pop up all over the place from AH to Politics to wherever.

Given the current economic climate, and the likelihood of further cutbacks over the next year or so hitting services, these issues are likely to come more and more to the fore.
    FWIW, the whole sub-categories thing didn't work great with Biz and will soon to be put back to a list of about twelve forums.
    I think the sub-cats. in Edu as suggested above would be much more intuitive though, esp. under the new system as illustrated
    .... each of the NUIs only became universities in 1997.
    Hmmm, that statement has huge holes in it, historically speaking, but let's not go any more OT here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

El Siglo wrote: »
    It might be useful to start a QUB forum
    Already covered under NI & GB Colleges.

Dónal wrote: »
    Nah it'd be grand, the mods of the HaUToQE,ND forum would give those cute UCD students at least one shiny thread to post in I'm sure.
    To make them feel at home it could be called the "Trinity College Dublin, Dublin" forum.
    Hmmm, that statement has huge holes in it, historically speaking, but let's not go any more OT here!
    Not the way I phrased it it doesn't ;)

Jammyc wrote: »

I should point out that my suggestion to merge TCD/UCD was completely tongue-in-cheek. :) It was not for a moment considered a serious suggestion.

Unless we want to create our very own Boards.ie version of An Bord Snip Nua.
    Not mad about "Studying", likely to confuse ... "Lifelong learning" or "Returning to study" or some such, perhaps?

Absolutely, let's not get too hung up on the wording, it was merely a suggestion. "Returning to study" is actually more appealing, imho.
    Also, any chance of introducing a core forum for the discussion of broad educational issues which impact across the board?

At the moment such issues either get discussed / duplicated in a number of forums, OR more often don't get properly discussed at all because they don't really fit into the individual forums, OR pop up all over the place from AH to Politics to wherever.

Given the current economic climate, and the likelihood of further cutbacks over the next year or so hitting services, these issues are likely to come more and more to the fore.

Hmmm, I see what you are saying. There is generally very lively debate on the Teaching/Lecturing forum about the education cuts. Them teachers are a grumpy bunch. Not to mention the handy number they have, the holidays.......

Joking, joking, settle down at the back. :D

I would welcome a general "Education" forum under the Edu section, but I wonder how popular it would be, and how it would overlap with the T&L/College/Postgrads/Graduate type forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Absolutely, let's not get too hung up on the wording, it was merely a suggestion.
    Oh, I know, I was just throwing out an alternative.
    Hmmm, I see what you are saying. There is generally very lively debate on the Teaching/Lecturing forum about the education cuts.

I would welcome a general "Education" forum under the Edu section, but I wonder how popular it would be, and how it would overlap with the T&L/College/Postgrads/Graduate type forums?
    That's kind of the thing, though, isn't it? Teachers discuss it one place, parents another, students in a whole host of other forums, and the general public somewhere else again. Isn't there a case for encouraging them all to interact somewhere?
    Not the way I phrased it it doesn't ;)
    I'd argue that too, I'm afraid.

For example, UC Double D which is arguably the most recent of the NUIs apart from NUI Maynooth (I'll admit I don't really buy the "we've been a university since 1795, therefore we're the second oldest!" line) is a direct successor to the Catholic University of Ireland founded in 1854 with Newman as the first rector. It had a few re-jigs in between before it was chartered in its own right in 1908. To say it's only been a university since 1997 is a bit disingenuous.

In fact, it's a bit like arguing that TCD has never been a university in its own right ... which is in fact technically correct, as the the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin is in fact the sole constituent college of the University of Dublin, rather than itself a university.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I see what you are saying. There is generally very lively debate on the Teaching/Lecturing forum about the education cuts. Them teachers are a grumpy bunch. Not to mention the handy number they have, the holidays.......

Joking, joking, settle down at the back. :D

That's kind of the thing, though, isn't it? Teachers discuss it one place, parents another, students in a whole host of other forums, and the general public somewhere else again. Isn't there a case for encouraging them all to interact somewhere?

:pac:<
    (click meh)

Advertisement