Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu: Edu forums

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dónal wrote: »
    :pac:<
    (click meh)
    I clicked you several times already ...

Ahem! In the virtual sense, ofc! >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Good suggestion.

I would be against separation of IT's and Uni's. Whats the point, theyre both third level? Unless someones trying to give their superiority complex a caress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Fad wrote: »
    The only reasoning behind splitting it into NUIs (Or Unis or whatever) & ITs was that if we were sticking with the current menu layout, the lists wouldnt be stupidly long, not exclusion or anything.
    turgon wrote: »
    Good suggestion.

I would be against separation of IT's and Uni's. Whats the point, theyre both third level? Unless someones trying to give their superiority complex a caress :)

I love having chances to quote myself.

Also, being between 2nd and 3rd means I have no complex to caress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I love having chances to quote myself.

You should try talking to yourself. Its even better :D

But seriously I see where your coming from, its just I could see IT people getting a grudge about this.

turgon wrote: »
    You should try talking to yourself. Its even better :D

But seriously I see where your coming from, its just I could see IT people getting a grudge about this.

I'd just expect arguments about WIT and DIT if we split it University and IT. Would be easier to put them together as institutions for example (as I did in my mocked up version of the new menu earlier), gets around the problem of private colleges fitting into the two above descriptions.

• Advertisement

I'd just expect arguments about WIT and DIT if we split it University and IT. Would be easier to put them together as institutions for example (as I did in my mocked up version of the new menu earlier), gets around the problem of private colleges fitting into the two above descriptions.

Or you could just move them, if and when they become Unis........

Or you could just move them, if and when they become Unis........

Problem comes if they are a university in all but in name :)

Problem comes if they are a university in all but in name :)

Then they get categorised by name :P

Seriously though, whatever works.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

My idea: Categories with sub forums under the following headings.

Second Level>JC/LC/Union of Secondary(Maybe even get rid of it)/Transition Year

ITs>DIT/DKIT/Carlow IT etc.

NUIs>TCD/UCD/DCU/UCC/NUIM/NUIG/UL

Other (Maybe Private Colleges)>Griffith.

They'd be main headings, then have the not so specific things out in the drop down menu (Teaching and Lecturing, Distance/Part Time, etc)
    I see no reason for separating between Uni and IT.
    Still come out with the same level 6/7/8 whatever after.
    Just snobby to separate them IMHO.

But +1 for the 2nd level, 3rd level, teaching & learning sections :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Back for a flying visit...

I think Study Abroad and NI/GB Colleges should be merged or cross-modded. Not because I want to increase my modding workload, but if you look at the first page alone of Study Abroad a fair chunk of the threads relate to UK study/grants etc. I would stand by my assertion at the time that renaming NI/GB Colleges to remove the 'UK' phrase was discussed would result in decreased accessibility, however technically and grammatically correct the new name would be.

I don't think there's enough taffic within the two to warrant further separation into QUB/UU etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Another suggestion.

could the forums dedicated to individual colleges not have their full names, i.e Dundalk IT as opposed to DKIT, Galway/Mayo IT as opposed to GMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Right, to summarise the thinking so far:

Break into sub-sections, I am suggesting the following, feel free to offer alternative suggestions:

- School : covering Primary & Pre-school, JC, LC, Transition Year, Union of Secondary Students

- Third Level : IT's and Universities

- Further Study - IT Certification, Graduate, Postgraduate, Mature & Non-traditional Students, Student Finance, Distance & Part-Time, Student Accomodation, Studying Abroad + NI/GB colleges

Not sure where to stick Teaching and Lecturing, perhaps it could be left at the root of the menu. Alternatively, it could be put into School.

Other suggestions:

• Merge Studying Abroad and NI/GB colleges as there appears to be a lot of duplication
    • Full names for Institutes (i.e. Dundalk IT instead of DKIT, etc.)
    • The creation of a general Education forum for discussion of all things education from all perspectives
    • And looking at the Z Edu Commercial - Link , not so sure what that is all about and if it is still needed

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Not sure where to stick Teaching and Lecturing, perhaps it could be left at the root of the menu. Alternatively, it could be put into School.

Teaching and Lecturing, Thomas. It doesn't fit in with school. I would leave it be.

Otherwise it looks good. :)

janeybabe wrote: »
    Teaching and Lecturing, Thomas. It doesn't fit in with school. I would leave it be.

Otherwise it looks good. :)

Thank you, Ms. Babe.

However, seeing as teachers outnumber lecturers by about a gazillion to one, I thought it was an idea. You know, to keep things tidy and stuff.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Thank you, Ms. Babe.

However, seeing as teachers outnumber lecturers by about a gazillion to one, I thought it was an idea. You know, to keep things tidy and stuff.

You're already condensing the menu down an awful lot. I don't think it would look untidy left on its own. And lecturers wont be enticed into the forum if it is hidden in School so it would become a teacher forum and that would be a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

+1 for the 2nd level, 3rd level, teaching & learning sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Here's my ideas.

Get rid of TY
    Have sub forums most Uni's and sort them region
    LC has too much topics for that section maybe create a sub forum for CAO related topics and debs related topics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cathedral

Apologies if this idea has already been discussed.

I'm coming to the end of a taught MA at WIT. During the past year, I bought some academic books for the course. They were quite expensive and I'd be only delighted to part with them for half of what I paid just months ago.

How about a forum where people can buy and sell books for 3rd level? I know trading and advertising is not allowed on boards.ie - but perhaps an exception could be made for students trying to help each other out / recession etc.

Boards could put up a disclaimer not accepting responsibility for transations etc.

any thoughts?

cathedral wrote: »

I'm coming to the end of a taught MA at WIT. During the past year, I bought some academic books for the course. They were quite expensive and I'd be only delighted to part with them for half of what I paid just months ago.

How about a forum where people can buy and sell books for 3rd level? I know trading and advertising is not allowed on boards.ie - but perhaps an exception could be made for students trying to help each other out / recession etc.

Boards could put up a disclaimer not accepting responsibility for transations etc.

any thoughts?

I always point people who want to sell books in T&L to www.adverts.ie

cathedral wrote: »

any thoughts?

That's not actually a bad idea. There is leeway for mods to allow certain things in certain forums, for example, I allow people post advertisements for their iPhone Applications in the Apple Media Devices forum. So expanding this idea to the Education category is worthy of discussion.
    janeybabe wrote: »
    I always point people who want to sell books in T&L to www.adverts.ie

Ordinarily, I would too. But I do think this is something we should discuss a bit further. Seeing as we would have people looking at the Education category, chances are they would be interested in buying/selling books.

Alternatively, we could look if it would be possible to get a corner of Adverts.ie for this purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My idea: Categories with sub forums under the following headings.

Second Level>JC/LC/Union of Secondary(Maybe even get rid of it)/Transition Year

ITs>DIT/DKIT/Carlow IT etc.

NUIs>TCD/UCD/DCU/UCC/NUIM/NUIG/UL

Other (Maybe Private Colleges)>Griffith.

They'd be main headings, then have the not so specific things out in the drop down menu (Teaching and Lecturing, Distance/Part Time, etc)

Better to sort them by county or province, no? You may as well say DIT ain't as good as Trinity when we all know it's miles better :pac:

sdonn wrote: »
    Better to sort them by county or province, no? You may as well say DIT ain't as good as Trinity when we all know it's miles better :pac:

Out of curiosity, did you read the rest of the thread?

I'm not going to quote myself again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Out of curiosity, did you read the rest of the thread

I did thumb through it.

Note to self: get bigger thumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Just wanted to bump this thread & see if any further thoughts or action had been put in?

I looked at the new menu, and it almost makes this request redundant, as its easier to see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I've been thinking about this for a while. I like the idea that the Colleges could be sub-catagorized into ITs and Uniersities, though that's only if pedants can be ignored :P

I like the idea of a general education forum, but how about a general Third level forum? This could probably fall under the same banner, but it's something that I think could be very useful. Basically, if somebody wants to find out about a course, they go to that College's forum, but if they are torn between a number of different colleges for the same course (eg. Medicine in UCD, Trinity or RCSI), then they have to post in each indavidual forum. The main problem I see with this is that the OP is going to getvery biased answers in each forum, and not get anyway near colser to being able to deicide. In a general 3rd level forum, there'd be an actual debate about each Institution and the courses being offered.

Thoughts? There are of course many other courses that could be included. Though general 3rd level issues could also be discussed.

Edit: Crap, just found this. And I thought I was onto a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Excuse the double post, but I just remembered this the other day.

Is anything going to happen, or is this just going to be put aside?

This was put to the side last August as I had the minor matter of moving to a different country to consider.

I'll throw it back out there for consideration and see what the consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Having IT Certification sitting between IT Blanchardstown and IT Tallaght is a bit weird ...

baalthor wrote: »
    Having IT Certification sitting between IT Blanchardstown and IT Tallaght is a bit weird ...

Yeah, that crazy alphabet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I think the "Careers and Jobs Discussion" forum should be re-named to the "Courses, Careers and Jobs Discussion" forum to give LC students a place to talk about courses.

Advertisement