Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson - Tevez not worth £25m

• 21-07-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Ferguson has publicly stated that in his opinion Tevez isn't worth £25m and I must admit, I agree with him. While Tevez is a very good player, I always expected more of him. To be voted South American player of the year 3 times in a row I expected great things of him and was delighted to see him move to the Premiership.

He started off very average but finshed the season well with West Ham. That lead to him going to Utd. for 2 seasons which in all fairness were very ordinary. All he seems to do is run around a lot like a headless chicken. He seems to play best when coming on as a substitute as he provides energy and spark.

I have seen him play a no. of times for Argentina as well. He played well in the last WC as an impact sub. Now he is first choice and again he seems ordinary. He does have flashes of brilliance though but at £25m for an impact sub - not a chance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why did Alex bid 25 million for him so? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

From Gills interviews with the media after xmas onwards it was clear he thought the same. That stance softened when it became clear what a fan favourite he was which Fergie refered to the importance of in the interview which this thread comes from.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

there was nothing "very ordinary" about scoring 19 goals and then 15 in two seasons with the second one being primarily from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Boggles wrote: »
    Why did Alex bid 25 million for him so? :confused:

I don't think he did, which was part of the problem no?

mayordenis wrote: »
    there was nothing "very ordinary" about scoring 19 goals and then 15 in two seasons with the second one being primarily from the bench.

he was something like 1 in 6 in the league last year

that's pretty damn ordinary in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ntlbell wrote: »

He did a few times.

Not the same wages as City though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

They announced on ManUtd.com that they'd reached an agreement with Kia for Tevez.... £25.5 million it stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He's not worth it IMO!

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    They announced on ManUtd.com that they'd reached an agreement with Kia for Tevez.... £25.5 million it stated.

dirty hypocrite!

:D

maybe it was a case of fergie wanted him, he didn't feel he was worth the money they were looking for but gill et al were willing to pay up to 25m?

it's very hard to know what really goes on most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Fergie should just keep his trap shut on pre-season.
    He talks the biggest load of shyte ever.

He's also come out to say Ronaldo is the best player in the world and might come back to Utd.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Its all relative really, but surely if Adebayor is worth £25 then Tevez is worth at least that and Id love to know what value he puts on Berbatov.

He also claimed in an interview yesterday that Ronaldo was ''streets ahead of kaka and messi'' now granted an arguement can be made that he is the best (personally I would go with Messi) but to suggest that Ronaldo is ''streets head'' is redicilous.

He also claimed last year that the squad he had was the strongest he had ever had :D:D So basically he either talks alot of sh*te or he's loosing it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Idiotic thing to say.

Utd paid 10m to take the lad on loan! and then tried to pay 25m on top of that to buy him outright. He then rejects Utd, and all of a sudden he is not worth 25m. Pathetic tbh.

Oh and i actually think in this current market, 25m for Tevez is a bargain.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Idiotic thing to say.

no more idiotic than slamming players for going to a club for money reasons when on two separate occasions faling to buy him when they had a chance.

eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Tevez is a bargain, especially for City all things considered.

..can't wait to see him score the winner at Old Trafford again... :)

Ntl, you may wanna read the title of this thread, its about Ferguson & Tevez.

If you wanna start a new thread where you can stir ****, fire ahead, but i won't be partaking in your petty arguments in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Personally, I'm glad Tevez is gone and Owen is in.

Me too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tevez was treated worse by United than Keane was treated by Liverpool... FACHT

how?

he fulfilled his loan period.

keane was brought in and thrown back out.

totally different circumstances and irrelevant to the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Idiotic thing to say.

Utd paid 10m to take the lad on loan! and then tried to pay 25m on top of that to buy him outright. He then rejects Utd, and all of a sudden he is not worth 25m. Pathetic tbh.

Oh and i actually think in this current market, 25m for Tevez is a bargain.

yeah thats a fair point about the current market didn't think he was worth 25 million myself but as you say in the current market he is defnatley worth it..
    but at the time when it was coming up to it at the end of the season didn't think he was worth it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What an idiotic comment from Fergie, especially after actually attempting to bid £25m for him! It reeks of hypocrisy, and failed attempt to get one back at City after the poster.

Old man has lost his marbles :)

"In my opinion, I don't think he was worth 25 million pounds," he said.
    "He was popular with the supporters. The fans quite rightly have their heroes and I was happy to go along with the deal as long as it was the right one but, quite simply, he is not worth 25 million."

that sounds very much like 25 mil was too much but i wanted to keep him and the voices that be were willing to spend 25

hows that idiotic?

the bullsh|t is warming up nice and early

people in glass houses etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Worth every penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Me too :D

Me three and I'll be willing to back it up with a freindly wager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Worth every penny
    In fact, I hope for the world that Tevez does well at City.

RasTa wrote: »
    Me three and I'll be willing to back it up with a freindly wager.

I'd like a slice off this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If I remember correctly Tevez made 51 appearances last season (29 out of 38 league games) scoring something like 15 goals, 6 of which were in the Carling cup. Nothing special, he had one or two good performances but overall was nothing special. I'm sure we'll miss his 5 league goals though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Worth every penny

You should probably wait until he's actually played a few games for City before declaring that.

You should probably wait until he's actually played a few games for City before declaring that.

Part of me is just happy we've caused this shit storm by nipping in and bagging him.

The fact is Fergie wanted him and we got him. That's almost worth the transfer alone :D

• Advertisement

Part of me is just happy we've caused this shit storm by nipping in and bagging him.

The fact is Fergie wanted him and we got him. That's almost worth the transfer alone :D

i think your kidding yourself.

if fergie really wanted to keep him that badly it would have been wrapped up long ago.

i'm sure we'll find 5 goals this year elsewhere and tevez can enjoy the 8 striker rotation schedule and a middle of the road side who hasn't won anything during tevez's lifetime

happy days all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Agreed, I think he'll give us a better return.
    facepalm.gif
    Liam O wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Tevez made 51 appearances last season (29 out of 38 league games) scoring something like 15 goals, 6 of which were in the Carling cup. Nothing special, he had one or two good performances but overall was nothing special. I'm sure we'll miss his 5 league goals though...
    Yep, his goals return simply wasn't good enough.

sure Tevez and his 5 goals, cos that's all he brought to the team, nothing else.

good one.

kinaldo wrote: »
    sure Tevez and his 5 goals, that's all he brought to the team, nothing else

good one.

Sorry, I forgot he also dived with his head at defenders feet.

Personally, I'll miss that.

Sorry, I forgot he also dived with his head at defenders feet.

Personally, I'll miss that.
    More than Newcastle got out of Owen in the last 6 months.

maybe he wasn't playing with a team who can provide him with goal scoring chances and have an uncanny desire to win at all costs

I don't think i seen one person with that at newcastle last year, did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

No one got anything out of Newcastle in the past 6 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Paying nothing for a player who can actually finish his dinner or paying £25m for a good player, not great! who offers incredible work rate but dismal first touch and poor finishing.

I liked Tevez but his attitude last season stank beyond belief, I'd personally rather have Owen on a free than pay 25m for Tevez, Michael Owen with the service he will be receiving next season will score more league goals than Tevez at City IMO.

maybe he wasn't playing with a team who can provide him with goal scoring chances and have an uncanny desire to win at all costs

I don't think i seen one person with that at newcastle last year, did you?
    Yeah it was the players around him that caused him to miss a hat-trick of absolute sitters in that must win home game against Portsmouth back in April, his last meaningful game for Newcastle. Fantastic captain he was.

Habib Beye, Steve Harper, Steven Taylor, Sebastian Bassong, Jose Enrique, Jonas Gutierrez.

i think your kidding yourself.

Forgive me for salavating at the prospect of a Tevez, Adebayor, Robinho front 3 when only a couple of years ago we were entering a season with Corradi and Dickov leading the line.
    if fergie really wanted to keep him that badly it would have been wrapped up long ago.

I don't see why he would have paid so much for a 2 year loan if he had no intention of making the move permanent.
    i'm sure we'll find 5 goals this year elsewhere and tevez can enjoy the 8 striker rotation schedule and a middle of the road side who hasn't won anything during tevez's lifetime

And with quality like Tevez in the line up we have our best chance in decades to end that drought. Again, forgive the excitement.
    happy days all round.

Indeed

Yeah it was the players around him that caused him to miss a hat-trick of absollute sitters in that must win game against Portsmouth back in April, his last meaningful game for Newcastle. Fantastic captain he was.

and yet he's all ready two from two around good players.

good times.

• Advertisement

No one got anything out of Newcastle in the past 6 months..
    And yet one more goal for a point would have kept us in the division, sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

TEVEZ > BERBATOV AND OWEN.

If Ferguson things Tevez isnt worth 25 Million, and Berbatov is worth 32, then he is most certainly going senile. Tevez was, is and always will be the mutts nuts !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSd6mjr0rIA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHcrGVuWKY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNrs_q32Zuw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wRt4uB_rpo

and yet he's all ready two from two around good players.

good times.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Tevez will always be loved by the fans of whatever team he plays for because he literally looks ready to die for his team and gives 110% all the time. Within two months I expect City fans to worship him, even more than they already do simply because when he plays for your team its pretty much impossible not to love him.

However, Tevez's extreme effort levels mask his lack of technical ability for a £25m player. His first touch is just found wanting too often and he is not a particularly intelligent player. He was third choice, and justifiably so, at United and I was happy when we didn't get him because £25m is a ridiculous amount to spend on a substitute, especially at a time when United do not really have money to burn.

Having said all that, I don't think for a minute its a bad signing on City's part. Money is no issue for them and he is undoubtedly an improvement on the attacking options they had last year.

Right now, City are trying to move up to the next level. If they ever want to become a world force, they will have to break into the top 4 and a player like Tevez will certainly help them do this. But when they reach the top 4, they will need better players than Tevez if they want to push on and actually start challenging for major honours in England, and above all in Europe.

Cliffnotes of this ramble: Tevez is worth £25m to City, but not to United.

In 5 years time when City are pushing Madrid all the way for the European Super Mega League, a disgruntled Tevez will leave, fed up at being left on the bench, and join Sven at Notts County as they try to break into to the big 4:D

I don't see why he would have paid so much for a 2 year loan if he had no intention of making the move permanent.

If that was the case why not buy him out right from the off? he got him on loan to see how he would fit into the premiership

he scored 5 goals.

I would score 5 goals playing in that united side never mind f*cking tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Het-Field wrote: »
    TEVEZ > BERBATOV AND OWEN.

If Ferguson things Tevez isnt worth 25 Million, and Berbatov is worth 32, then he is most certainly going senile. Tevez was, is and always will be the mutts nuts !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSd6mjr0rIA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHcrGVuWKY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNrs_q32Zuw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wRt4uB_rpo

I would disagree about Tevez being better than Berbatov, and especially given that United have Rooney who is a similar but better version of Tevez.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't recommend starting a youtube war between Tevez and Berbatov. Apart from the fact that youtube proves pretty much nothing about a player's overall effectiveness, there will only be one winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJ9wdXXbwY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Agree with carlop.

Tevez is a good signing for City, but he didn't really cut it at the highest level. Despite Fergie's posturing infront of the media, he knows that Tevez is replaceable. The same can't be said of Ronaldo though.

If that was the case why not buy him out right from the off? he got him on loan to see how he would fit into the premiership

he scored 5 goals.

I would score 5 goals playing in that united side never mind f*cking tevez.

Out of curiosity how many league games did he start last year? Can't find it on Google.

Tevez is a good signing for City, but he didn't really cut it at the highest level.

Tevez was key to a team that won the Premier League & Champions League, starting week in, week out, playing with some considerable style. He has shown beyond any doubt, he can cut it at the top level.

All last season showed was that he does not take too well to being rotated or left on the bench, same could be said for most top players imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

carlop wrote: »
    I would disagree about Tevez being better than Berbatov, and especially given that United have Rooney who is a similar but better version of Tevez.

That may be true.

However, I would be concerned if I was a Man Utd fan. Losing Tevez and Ronaldo is of no benefit at all. Plus, taking a punt on Michael Owen could be a master stroke, or a master flop. I feel that Fergie will need to pull another masterstroke in the Transfer Market, before I will believe Man Utd are going to retain their title.

• Advertisement
Advertisement