Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson - Tevez not worth £25m

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how many league games did he start last year? Can't find it on Google.

18 starts, compared to Berbatovs 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ziggy wrote: »

there's a HUGE different in playing for west ham and playing at united, huge.

if it wasn't to see how he fitted in what other reason would there be?

keane played with spurs long enough could benitez not work it out?

the nonsense from football fans about anything related to football is laughable TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »

Whats your point. United won the league didn't they? easier and with more points than last year?

I'll make all further posts pedantic neutral

Boggles wrote: »
    Whats your point. United won the league didn't they? easier and with more points than last year?

don't have a point. just answering Xavi's question as to Tevez's starts.

don't have a point. just answering Xavi's question as to Tevez's starts.

Xavi didn't ask anything about a Berbatov comparson, did he, why through that in?

#

did you read the thread title?

this thread is about tevez ;)

• Advertisement

Xavi didn't ask anything about a Berbatov comparson, did he, why through that in?

thought it fitting to compare his playing time in comparison to the man who was brought in to replace him.

apologies if it offended you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

+1
    What if you compare Tevez first league season at United to Berbatovs.
    Both played about the same amount of time. Tevez got 14 goals, berbatov got 9. It's shocking how united fans are talking about Tevez. And about 2 days Owen changes to an injury prone has been to better than Tevez:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The irony of this transfer which seems to be lost on Mr.Tevez is that he wanted to leave Man U as he wasnt playing every week....and hes moved to a team that bought him as their NINTH forward player & have since added a TENTH in the form of Adebayor.

Good luck with that Carlos, me thinks you will be lucky to get the same gametime as you got at Utd. Winter of discontent looming.

Tevez will be playing week in week out at City. Himself & Adebayour will be first choice imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Liam O wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Tevez made 51 appearances last season (29 out of 38 league games) scoring something like 15 goals, 6 of which were in the Carling cup. Nothing special, he had one or two good performances but overall was nothing special. I'm sure we'll miss his 5 league goals though...

But considering he came a lot of the bench, how would a goals/minutes played look?

Quint wrote: »
    +1
    Both played about the same amount of time. Tevez got 14 goals, berbatov got 9. It's shocking how united fans are talking about Tevez. And about 2 days Owen changes to an injury prone has been to better than Tevez:rolleyes:

what has berbatov got to do with anything?

tevez was offered a deal apparently he refused it and moved on.

berbatov or rooney or anyone else is irrelevant.

the question is is tevez worth 25 mil only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Tevez will be playing week in week out at City. Himself & Adebayour will be first choice imo.

Not sure about that - Robinho has to start and Hughes loves Santa Cruz and Bellamy.

thought it fitting to compare his playing time in comparison to the man who was brought in to replace him.

apologies if it offended you.

Why would it offend me?

Berbatov 29 starts

Tevez 18

United won the league, right choice made all round, I'd say.

Thanks for pointing that out actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sizzler wrote: »
    The irony of this transfer which seems to be lost on Mr.Tevez is that he wanted to leave Man U as he wasnt playing every week....and hes moved to a team that bought him as their NINTH forward player & have since added a TENTH in the form of Adebayor.

Good luck with that Carlos, me thinks you will be lucky to get the same gametime as you got at Utd. Winter of discontent looming.

*sigh*

Yes we have a lot of forwards, but for the umpteenth time - Hughes said he will sell AFTER he buys. Some of them will be gone by the time the season starts.

We will be left with probably 5 strikers - Adebayor, Tevez, Santa Cruz, Bojinov, and Caicedo (he might go out on loan though). Bellamy, Evans and Benjani could be shown the door.

he would want to ramp up his return rate on last year for that to happen?

you're not going to be kept in with 6/7 attacking players sitting on the sideline

Warper wrote: »
    Not sure about that - Robinho has to start and Hughes loves Santa Cruz and Bellamy.

Robinho out on the left i reckon.

And Bellamy & Santa Cruz are not in the same league as the other two lads.
    Why would it offend me?

Berbatov 29 starts

Tevez 18

United won the league, right choice made all round, I'd say.

Thanks for pointing that out actually.

Don't mention it Boggles. You know i like to please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

+1

If Tevez had of kept his mouth shut since he left and stopped crying to the press about never getting a game nothing would have being said.

Look at Ronaldo, every comment he has praised United and Fergie.

Ronaldo left to go to Real Madrid and Tevez left to go for for a club that has won nothing in 31 years.

ntlbell wrote: »
    he would want to ramp up his return rate on last year for that to happen?

last year isn't really relevant as he was not starting week in week out & felt mistreated by Utd.

Wats more relevant is the previous season, if he plays for City like he did then (when he was first choice), he'll be worth more than 25m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Tevez was key to a team that won the Premier League & Champions League.
    :rolleyes:

Ronaldo scored 31 Premier League and 8 Champions League goals. Did Tevez even score half that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

if Ronaldo is worth £80 million, Tevez is worth £250 million.

Close thread.

last year isn't really relevant as he was not starting week in week out & felt mistreated by Utd.
    Of course it's relevant! Fergie is no fool and certainly wouldn't bench a good player out of spite. The fact is that when Tevez got his chances last season, he didn't take them.

Robinho out on the left i reckon.

Santa Cruz are not in the same league as the other two lads.

last two seasons in league

Santa Cruz 57 apps 23 goals

Carlos Tevz 63aps 19 goals

your right tevez is not in the same league ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wats more relevant is the previous season,

No.

Tevez wasn't first choice last season because the most successful manager of the generation didn't think he merited it.

And on performances, I think he was correct. When Tevez was in the team, he didn't perform to the level that Rooney or Berbatov did, the players he was in competition with for a starting berth.

I do, however, find it laughable that certain Manchester United supporters are taking this hardline stance. All they are short of saying is "I never liked Tevez me, I always thought he was shíte, never loved him".

:rolleyes:

Ronaldo scored 31 Premier League and 8 Champions League goals. Did Tevez even score half that?

I didn't say he was the only key to that season, there was a lot of factors, Ronaldo being the main one.

But Tevez scored more than Wayne Rooney in Champions League & Premier League the previous season.

Yet Rooney is one of the worlds best, and Tevez can't cut it at the top level :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

a swing of Bellamys 9 iron might change that...

Tevez is well worth 25 mill to city since the cost is irrelavent to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

RasTa wrote: »
    If Tevez had of kept his mouth shut since he left and stopped crying to the press about never getting a game nothing would have being said.

Look at Ronaldo, every comment he has praised United and Fergie.

Ronaldo left to go to Real Madrid and Tevez left to go for for a club that has won nothing in 31 years.

So Tevez isn't that good anymore cos he didn't bullsh!t the press about the reasons why he didn't sign a new contract? Nothing to do with his on field contributions?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

if Ronaldo is worth £80 million, Tevez is worth £250 million.

Close thread.

watching too much rubgy imo :pac:

If you think Santa Cruz, fair enough.

would have been funny to see your reaction to that 6 months ago though.
    Des wrote: »
    And on performances, I think he was correct. When Tevez was in the team, he didn't perform to the level that Rooney or Berbatov did, the players he was in competition with for a starting berth.

on performances? des, my point is that he wasn't given the opportunity to perform, he was told he'd still be first choice, he wasn't, and his bit-part appearance performance levels suffered as a result of that.

you yourself think it was a massive mistake for him to be let go, so don't just argue with me just for the sake of it.

And i think that Tevez was far better than Berbatov last season, just my opinion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I love how people are calling Alex Ferguson senile, probably the same people who champion managers who haven't won a trophy in a few years.

Im one of the Utd fans who certainly wont be bad mouthing Tevez.

I felt he proved himself in his first season with us. He was unlucky not to be regarded as first choice for his 2nd season but such is life at a big club. The fact for me is that Fergie knows best and while i am not Berba's biggest fan Fergie will no doubt have done the right thing for the long term benefit of the team and club.

He'll do well at City but I obviously will be hoping he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So Tevez isn't that good anymore cos he didn't bullsh!t the press about the reasons why he didn't sign a new contract? Nothing to do with his on field contributions?:D

Huh? He did bull**** the press, oh no you think he went to City to win Trophies?

Oo-eerr, interesting that Tevez scored a goal every 0.3 of a game.

Peter Crouch in the last two seasons: 49 games, 15 goals which also works out as a goal ever 0.3 a game.

RasTa wrote: »
    Huh? He did bull**** the press, oh no you think he went to City to win Trophies?

I'm going to leave one of the most successful clubs in england.

the current champions.

champions league football.

challenging for the next title.

surrounded by world class players day in day out

fans who adore me....

to...go to city for some medicoricy mid table hope to get a run in the "littlewoods" cup that'l;l show them!

right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Fergie is no fool and certainly wouldn't bench a good player out of spite.

Eh... Van Nistelrooy, Staam, Bruce to name but a few.

Oo-eerr, interesting that Tevez scored a goal every 0.3 of a game.

Peter Crouch in the last two seasons: 49 games, 15 goals which also works out as a goal ever 0.3 a game.

Tevez and Crouch scored a goal every 30 minutes!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

on performances? des, my point is that he wasn't given the opportunity to perform, he was told he'd still be first choice, he wasn't, and he bit part appearances performance levels suffered as a result of that.
    But he was Alan. You can find a few posts from this season where people are criticising his performances.

I mean, a player who spent the three months from Xmas to Easter crying because he wasn't "First choice" to go out and perform the way he did was baffling.
    you yourself think it was a massive mistake for him to be let go, so don't just argue with me for the sake of it.
    I do think it was a mistake on behalf of Manchester to let Tevez go. However, he wanted to be guaranteed first choice, no player in the world can demand that. Nobody. I don't think Owen is a like for like replacement either. Owen is an out and out goalscorer, something which many Manchester United fans called for on this message board all through the season. Tevez wasn't that, isn't that, and never will be that. Owen, if he stays fit and plays the games, will get more goals for United than Tevez did. However, Berbatov and Rooney are ahead of him in the pecking order.

He had Berbatov and Rooney ahead of him, and in my opinion, that was warranted. I do think Berbatov had a better season than Tevez. Our opinions differ on that one.

I couldn't care less about the United/City rivalry, so how Tevez fares there is of no consequence to me. I do think he will start as first choice, however, once his "work ethic" is not backed up with goals, I think someone like Santa Cruz will pip him to the starting position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

And i think that Tevez was far better than Berbatov last season, just my opinion though.

Totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the money is not the issue so much as his place in the team

At United with Berba Rooney and now Owen and a little back up from Macheda and Wellbeck possibly, the United team could more wisely spend the 25million in other departments

The fact is that Tevez didnt do enough in Fergies eyes to warrant a first choice place, it is irrelevant what other people think as he is the manager and his decision matters

he has said he tried to sign him for that money because he was clearly a fans hero, this is also true, and if he just keeps his mouth shut from now on he may not tarnish his name at united too much.

I think Tevez is a very good player, but with Rooney in the team and since Fergie showed who he wants there as his first choice with Rooney last year by buying Berbatov it really isnt feasable to spend that much money on a 3rd choice striker who doesnt return a great amount of goals

His loan deal was an excellent bit of business for the club in fact as he contributed to the team winning a premier league twice and a champions league along with a carling cup for 10million, if that was indeed the actual figure so united easily recouped the loan fee in the 2 years

been taking breaks as i write this so i completely lost my train of thought :)

I would have liked Tevez to stay but i did feel the price was a little high and that he wasnt going to be happy and he wasnt going to be the striker we need

on the other hand the Owen signing could prove very good for the club as he exactly the type of striker i have wanted but wether he is still up to it is yet to be seen

Tevez and Crouch scored a goal every 30 minutes!! :eek:
    :o

Other way around.

But he was Alan. You can find a few posts from this season where people are criticising his performances.

do you reckon i could find more posts criticizing Berbatov's or Tevez's performances? :D

do you reckon i could find more posts criticizing Berbatov's or Tevez's performances? :D

why do you keep bring it up, what's it got to do with tevez's worth

what has berbatov got to do with this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

snip

I do think it was a mistake on behalf of Manchester to let Tevez go.

snip

They didn't. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Im one of the Utd fans who certainly wont be bad mouthing Tevez.

Same as this. I really admired Tevez for the sheer work rate he put in alone. When the City game comes around, I won't be booing him. I hope his sheer popularity will spare him of this, because he was a great part of two of the most successful seasons in our history. I would have loved him to stay, but he didn't.

Realistically, paying £25 million for a substitute striker isn't great business, even when he's overwhelmingly popular.

I wish both Fergie and Tevez would leave well enough alone now. We'll move on with Owen as his replacement...

Tevez joined City for Cash, and a false illusion of playing more first team football.

He could have joined, Liverpool, Chelsea, United and Real Madrid.

Self preservation and cash was the crux of the move, not ambition.

For me players that go for 25 million have to be packed with not just talent and a will to win, but a large dollop of ambition, Ferguson called it right in my opinion.

I wish Carlos well, he was one of my favourite players for United the past 2 years, I am willing to forget what he said and did, so good luck to him, time to draw a line under it.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Same as this. I really admired Tevez for the sheer work rate he put in alone. When the City game comes around, I won't be booing him. I hope his sheer popularity will spare him of this, because he was a great part of two of the most successful seasons in our history. I would have loved him to stay, but he didn't.

Realistically, paying £25 million for a substitute striker isn't great business, even when he's overwhelmingly popular.

I wish both Fergie and Tevez would leave well enough alone now. We'll move on with Owen as his replacement...

Yeah sums it up nicely for me.

I can understand some of the bad blood that some fans have and obviously choosing City is a no-no.

He just needs to shut up now though and get on with his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well would you be happier if he'd joined Liverpool for less money, but with more chance of winning silverware?

• Advertisement
Advertisement