Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

200bhp for VAG 1.4 TSi

• 21-07-2009 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭

How long before this baby goes pop?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/241636/

£550 to up the 158 brake 1.4 TSi to 200 brake giving GTi performance. Nice for the money but I wouldn't fancy risking it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Nothing new about small capacity turbo cars producing high BHP figures, many Renault 5 GT turbo's from the 80's and 90's were tuned to 200+ BHP.

It all depends on how the car is driven and maintained, wheather the engine lasts or not, many new cars have major mechainical failures because, people don't bother to check oil levels etc.

As for the VW TSI engine, Revo tech have been tuning it to 205 BHP for awhile now.

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=1055

http://www.revotechnik.com/reviews/pdf/golf_tsi.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

but didn't cars like R5 turbos have a habit of going pop? And there has been some problems reported with that engine in higher states of tune even on cars that were looked after

EPM wrote: »
    but didn't cars like R5 turbos have a habit of going pop? And there has been some problems reported with that engine in higher states of tune even on cars that were looked after

Probably, but look at it this way, even F1 engines blow up during races, and while the turbo F1 cars were notorious for it, the modern large capacity normally aspirated one's aren't awhole lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

there's a huge difference between f1 engines and road engines though. Road engines aren't designed to be ringed permanently. I like the 1.4 tsi 125 brake version but i'd definitely have the 2.0 tfsi if i wanted 200 brake. Wont be as highly strung and stressed when pushing it

EPM wrote: »
    there's a huge difference between f1 engines and road engines though. Road engines aren't designed to be ringed permanently. I like the 1.4 tsi 125 brake version but i'd definitely have the 2.0 tfsi if i wanted 200 brake. Wont be as highly strung and stressed when pushing it

True, but have a read of the PDF in my first post, definitly makes me want to get my TSI Touran upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

i donno, if the engine is designed for high revs and high output, fair play.
    The only thing is that the cc is small, or the capacity is less.
    Look at it this way, a 3l race engine produces 900 bhp @ 18,000 rpm. (F1)
    A 1.4 can surely manage 200 bhp at a quarter of the revs .....
    Not the same tech I know but, don't be put off by the size of the capacity of the engine. If they design it right, there should be no problems.
    It could be the way forward.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Kawasaki ZZR1400 make 199bhp with a naturally aspirated 1400cc engine... out of the factory.

200bhp with a Turbo 1.4 should be alright, provided you can keep enough coolant flowing through the engine/airflow through the radiator to prevent the engine overheating. Also, watch for detonation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Weren't VAG having big reliability problems with the 170bhp 1.4 TSI's? I fear what'll happen with them pushed to 200bhp.
    Comparisons with race engines aren't really valid, when you consider that the engine in a road car is expected to last its entire lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Stephen wrote: »
    Weren't VAG having big reliability problems with the 170bhp 1.4 TSI's? I fear what'll happen with them pushed to 200bhp.
    Comparisons with race engines aren't really valid, when you consider that the engine in a road car is expected to last its entire lifetime.

Define lifetime :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

craichoe wrote: »
    Define lifetime :)

Anytime from when the manufacturer's warranty expires. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement