Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for a web developer?

• 21-07-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've been developing web apps for a few years now, but this time - i'll be getting paid. What is the going rate for web developers? Is it priced hourly? Or estimated for an overall project?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I've been developing web apps for a few years now, but this time - i'll be getting paid. What is the going rate for web developers? Is it priced hourly? Or estimated for an overall project?
    There is no 'going rate' it depends on how good your work is, what experience you have and what level of service you deliver.

People both price hourly and for total project depending of various factors which you'll find out with a quick Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GhostfaceKillah

p wrote: »
    There is no 'going rate' it depends on how good your work is, what experience you have and what level of service you deliver.

People both price hourly and for total project depending of various factors which you'll find out with a quick Google.

Well i'm about to begin my final year of a computer science degree next year in college, so i have no qualifications as of yet. Basically its a beginner rate. I mean, i was going to charge ~€20 an hour but it's difficult to make estimates when i've no previous work to compare it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well i'm about to begin my final year of a computer science degree next year in college, so i have no qualifications as of yet. Basically its a beginner rate. I mean, i was going to charge ~€20 an hour but it's difficult to make estimates when i've no previous work to compare it to

A lot depends on your skill, experience and the project at hand.

~€20 / hour is a reasonable starting point. Whether you go slightly up or slightly down from there depends on how good you are.

In terms of pricing per hour or per project, usually - for project based work - the client will be looking for a per-project quote. Separate the work out into blocks (design, css/html, content creation, development, integration, testing) and estimate yourself the time this will take you; build a price on that based on your decided hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

I think you would be better off making up a few mock-up brochure websites in your own time and working out how long they took.
    Then you can apply an hourly charge that you think your work would command and apply as you see fit.
    I do simple brochure websites for around €150 + whatever the hosting and domain name costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

damienmcd wrote: »
    I do simple brochure websites for around €150 + whatever the hosting and domain name costs.
    Do you have any examples of what you can do for €150? Seems very low for any form of website.

At 20/hour that's 7.5 hours for concept, design, development, integration, testing and launch... and that doesn't leave time for back-and-forth with the client. Seems remarkably good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I mean, i was going to charge ~€20 an hour but it's difficult to make estimates when i've no previous work to compare it to
    That seems fine for the level you're at right now.

Advertisement