Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple - we are being ripped left right and centre

Options
  • 21-07-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

4 days in Dublin at Jurys €89 per night no B&B for 3 of us, pub meals during day €12 to €15 average and not too flash at that, dinner at night - couldnt face the trash service for the price of the meals, cheapest at €15.95 so ate 2 minute noodles. No travelcard option on buses, Luas or trains, so in the pocket again for change for each, average cost over the day €10

4 days in London at Jurys Croydon £59 per night including B&B for 4 of us, pub meals in central London £7.50 to £10 average, dinner - I used the bar service at Jurys £8 for a great steak burger, chips and salad. Travelcard for the day which covers all buses, tube and train to East Croydon £7.50, kids £1.

No wonder tourists wont come here, we are kidding ourselves if we think they will come just for the craic? What craic is there in being overcharged every time you turn around???

And that is just the accomodation and meals, what about all day every dau stuff? Grocery items were often 50% less than what I pay, even Aldi was loads cheaper than they are here. My sons football boots I priced in Welch & Mahers, €60, in London at Sports Direct £18.....................I rest my case!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm going to jump on the hotels bit.

Different country, different levels of vat, overheads, etc.

The lunches, £7.50 to £10 converted would roughly be say ?9 to ?12.50, then add in the different vat, not much difference.
    However, there is no excuse for poor service. Ever.

Hotels charge different rates shocker, happens everywhere. Jurys Croyden, while busy, is not the same as Jurys Dublin, i'm guessing it was Parnell St?

Thats to do with occupancy and revenue management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

When we all accept the same level of tax (including £2000 council tax & £400 water rates) ) & the same level of pay as our counterparts in the UK then we can expect and demand that prices here are the same. That day will never come, and therefore the prices will never be the same.

But also we can do our bit & shop around - Sandymount (10min walk from Jurys) plenty of restaurants & Bars with superb prices for lunch & dinner including 2 good places offering dinner with starter, main & glass of wine for €20.
    Upper baggot Street - 10min walk. Loads of good food places with very good value.

Also Croydon can't be compared with ballsbridge and is not the same company. Ballsbridge is D4 Hotels offering a very good €89 room only rate for a good standard room within walking distance of Dublin City, Croydon is a far out suburb of London. - I'm in Leeds tomorrow night and am paying £79 for a room in the bewleys hotel (no breakfast) - probably more comparable to the D4 Hotel in Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

go to d4 hotels for 39 euro a night

use laterooms.ie

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Redbilby wrote: »
    4 days in Dublin at Jurys €89 per night no B&B

jesus, they don't even give you a bed?
    rameire wrote: »
    use laterooms.ie

that's just a parked domain, nothing useful there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

once again i apologise

www.laterooms.com

they do a mystery hotel for a discounted price,
    its easy to find what hotel it is though by goooooglllling the description of the hotel.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

East Croydon is not in Central London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Apples and oranges.

Depends on the location of the hotel but if its Ballsbridge, then how much would a hotel cost where it in Whitehall or Westminister in London?

Factor in the higher cost of utilities / staff / tax & rates.

The lack of integrated ticketing for tourists across the public transport "network" in dublin is the fault of the gov rather than Jury's Hotels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Redbilby wrote: »
    No travelcard option on buses, Luas or trains, so in the pocket again for change for each, average cost over the day €10

Travelcard for the day which covers all buses, tube and train to East Croydon £7.50, kids £1.

Always has been a travelcard for dublin - not sure if they sell them on the busses on not.

Rambler Tickets
    The Rambler ticket will give you unlimited travel for non consecutive days on all scheduled Dublin Bus services including Airlink (excludes Nitelink, Special Events and Private Contract Services).

Tickets

1 Day Rambler €6.00

3 Day Rambler €13.30

5 Day Rambler €20.00

1 Day Family Rambler* €10.00 (2 adults & 2 children)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Apples and oranges.

Depends on the location of the hotel but if its Ballsbridge, then how much would a hotel cost where it in Whitehall or Westminister in London?

Factor in the higher cost of utilities / staff / tax & rates.

The lack of integrated ticketing for tourists across the public transport "network" in dublin is the fault of the gov rather than Jury's Hotels

people on a holiday dont give a sh1t about cost of utilites/staff etc
    all we want is a room for a reasonable price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dinkers

With regard to public transport in Dublin you can also buy rambler tickets which intigrate Bus and Rail or Bus and Luas. I am not sure if you can buy tickets which will include all three means.

• Advertisement
Advertisement