Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying an Estate Car (03/04)

• 21-07-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Howdee,

I'm on the lookout for a semi old estate, but am not sure what to go for really. I suppose I've been thinking about reliabilty as it would be a few years old.

So I was thinking along the lines of a golf estate, octavia estate, focus estate, saw a volvo v40 estate.

They seem to go for roughly around 7K.

I was warned off the volvo (http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V40/1.9-DIES/200845190756256/advert?channel=CARS)

even though I think it's a fine looking car, and my sister drives a saloon, and it seems grand.

I'd be mainly throwing guitars and big amps in the back and surfboards.

Maybe the logical thing would be to get a van! I had a berlingo, but it was an antisocial vehicle, lol, could never give people lifts and it's not like I'd have gear stored in it all the time, mainly just weekends.

Another mate mentioned getting an old 4X4, but i don't see the point in having a 4X4, as I don't pull heavy loads, go off road, or have a 2 year old child ;). However if a used 4X4 was as economical as a car, I'd have no problems going for one.

Any other estate models you could recommend? I'd be looking to spend around 7K. If I could spend below that, great, but I'm not too fussed in spending much, as I'm not into cars as such, but am into ones that don't f**k up on you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

You might have a look at ford focus and mondeo estates, fairly reliable, widespread and cheap (relatively). You'll have no problem getting spares from breakers yards when things do go wrong. The petrol engines are fairly economical. If you had a berlingo I'd imagine your not in need of something that'll set your world alight with performance.

much better value on the focus IMO

http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?searchsource=finder&nParam=4294911142%2B102549%2B285%2B324&channel=CARS&cacheBuster=1248173155101140

http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?nParam=4294910976%2B200590&searchsource=browse&cacheBuster=1248173238282769#nParam=4294910976%2B200590%2B102549%2B285%2B324&sortby=Make|0&channel=CARS&currency=EUROS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, not too bothered about performance, just something that won't wreck my head at a mechanics all the time. I also currently drive a 30 mile round trip every day for work. I wouldn't rule out mondeos either.

I notice a few with high mileage, higher than what I have at the moment, which is nigh on 10 years old. My gut would tell me to steer clear of these, but maybe I shouldn't....?

hadnt considered a citroen yet. cheers for that. I'm in Limk but would travel if it was a good thing to do.

A quick Q. How much leeway can you expect from the list prices on sites such as driving.ie or carzone...?

€500?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm going to be predictable and suggest this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Forester/2.0XT/200926194399138/advert?channel=CARS

A bit heavy on fuel, but very good to drive and as reliable as the day is long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

don't rule out the Vectra estate....fairly big boot in them aswell and very cheap...you might even get a 05/06 for that money

that subaru looks the job, maybe a bit heavy on juice though..

vectra looks good too.

agggghh, too many choices...

I suppose some of the ex company cars would have the sh1te driven out of them...??

I also noticed some good Astra estates as well, for good money...

I think the C5s are a great value buy. Rubbish residuals but they'll have done most of their depreciation before they get to you. I've bought my last 3 cars privately, i always look for low mileage and a full service history and bargain hard. Hasn't failed me yet. I've driven the last three cars for 4-5 years each with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

E-Class W124 best estate ever but a nice W210 would be good if you can't find a W124
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200920192809974

kuro_man wrote: »
    E-Class W124 best estate ever but a nice W210 would be good if you can't find a W124
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200920192809974

Lovely cars but best of luck when something goes wrong....the purchase price will seem cheap in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭sk8board

problem solved?
    v70 volvo, D5, '02, €6.9k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V70/2.0-D5-S/200903191528700/advert?channel=CARS

heres an '03 2.0T for 7k
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V70/2.0/200925194357259/advert?channel=CARS

a fully loaded '05 will cost an extra 5k (2 years newer, and loads of extras, its still great value)
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V70/2.0-T-SE/200847190922202/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

You'd get a very well specced 04 Rover 75 CDti 2lt diesel estate from the uk for around €5k cleared maybe less. Don't let the Rover badge/rep put you off...they are extremely well equipped and are powered by a detuned version of the bmw 2lt diesel engine.

I like the look of the volvos, I think I'll suss them out more. I'm leaning more towards the v40, only for the smaller engine, but I shouldn't let engine size put me off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're only doing 10k miles a year, so i'd put reliability ahead of economy from an economic standpoint.

Very true,

what about one of these (reliable ou non..) Megane Sport Tourer

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194475173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

seachto7 wrote: »
    I like the look of the volvos, I think I'll suss them out more. I'm leaning more towards the v40, only for the smaller engine, but I shouldn't let engine size put me off...

The V40 is fine and perfectly reliable as long as you don't expect it to be your typical 'gigantic' Volvo estate. The V70 is a bigger, newer and much better car.
    Very true,

what about one of these (reliable ou non..) Megane Sport Tourer

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194475173

Lets just say reliability is not a strong point and leave it at that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Octavia estate is a lovely car! Youd get a new enough one for 7k!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Octavia!? Mazda 6 FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I guess the Rover 75 is out then?:P

I see 2004 Octavias on carzone for €7000. Is this an accurate price for now? It seems a lot to me....???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭mazza

I see 2004 Octavias on carzone for €7000. Is this an accurate price for now? It seems a lot to me....???

I looked at Octavia estates over the last month or two on Carzone (tho I'm not sure its the best place to look as a lot of variation in prices.

Anyway, the Octavia Estates there boiled down to the following rough types:

2005/2006 ex company cars (1.9 diesel, decent spec) with 90-110k miles asking price of 7.5 - 8.5k in dealers.

2002 - 2004 privately owned cars (ie non company cars, again 1.9 diesel) with similar miles but spread over more years for 4.5k - 6.5k from dealers.

There were also 'wildcards' where certain cars would be priced WAY higher than any of the similar cars listed.

So, I'd definitely watch Carzone for a while to get a feel for it and print out screenshots so you can see which cars / asking what price were sold since the last time you looked.

The petrol version of the Octavia (which you see much less often) sells for somewhere between a grand and two grand cheaper than diesel models and may suit someone who doesn't do too many miles each year and doesn't need pulling power.

Hope this is reasonably accurate and helps

I've narrowed it down to an Octavia estate or a focus estate. It all hinges on if I can fit a 7ft 9 surf board in the back. Saves me chucking up a rack. I can fit it into a bora saloon with the seats down etc, but I dont want to have to be doing that all the time!!

NOt discounting other suggestions, I'd initially go for an octavia or focus estate, while staying away from high mileage ex company cars....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've narrowed it down to an Octavia estate or a focus estate. It all hinges on if I can fit a 7ft 9 surf board in the back. Saves me chucking up a rack. I can fit it into a bora saloon with the seats down etc, but I dont want to have to be doing that all the time!!

NOt discounting other suggestions, I'd initially go for an octavia or focus estate, while staying away from high mileage ex company cars....

Octavia ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭mazza

Do you mean fitting the surfboard in without putting reclining the front seat for it to lie along? I'd be very doubtful whether you could fit it in without doing so, but bring a measuring tape just to make sure. Move to a short board maybe? ;)

Also, do you really want to put wet, salty boards inside your nice new car? I use a rack nearly all the time unless going down the country with dry boards.

The opinion I got (from a few people) was to avoid the high mileage ex co. cars as putting so many miles on so fast wasn't good, although they are generally in good nick and are high spec.

I'd also go for the Octavia over the Focus, but am no expert on cars. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Ah 7'9 board?! You would get that into most hatchbacks I'd wager.
    I have a Corolla 5dr hatchback and used to put 2 8'4 boards in with the front seat dropped.
    If you dont want the hassle of a roof rack your gonna have to drop seats, even if you get a reeeeealy short board.

Been thinking about an estate car myself recently because of a new 10'2 board but struggling to find a "good looking" one.

well, I'd have to be moving seats one way or anothers but its great to be able to just chuck the board in the car without having to tie it on the roof (pass me that, loop this, now, throw that over to me..!)

I would also have a cover for the board. At the mo, it's a tight squeeze, just with the bora, and all the seats down and the front seat reclined, so with an estate, it may just be chuck it in over the seats? Well, there would be some jiggery pokery with the seats, but it wouldn't take me an hour to get ready to leave the house!! lol...

soft racks do my head in too...

I could also fit in that marshall stack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Rover 75 tourer with the bmw turbo diesel engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you check the dimensions, you'll find that most estates are actually only a couple of CM longer (if even) than the same model saloon (or hatchback in the case of the Octavia). For instance, the Octavia estate and hatchback are the exact same length, and the Focus estate (05 on) is actually a little shorter than the saloon (4481mm vs 4472mm). The extra space you get in an estate isn't in the length, but in the height of the boot.
    mazza wrote: »
    Also, do you really want to put wet, salty boards inside your nice new car? I use a rack nearly all the time unless going down the country with dry boards.

I remember looking at a Focus estate in a dealers a few years ago. Irish Surfing Association stickers on the windows and literally a 2cm thick carpet of green mould on all the seats and all over the steering wheel :eek:. It looked like The Grouch from Sesame Street had been skinned and used to upholster the car.

Wet gear and car interiors don't mix. We have heavy duty boxes for the diving gear and always carry the boards on the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kodute wrote: »
    Been thinking about an estate car myself recently because of a new 10'2 board but struggling to find a "good looking" one.

not looking that hard then as there is plenty decent looking estates out there

This one looks in good nick...mileage is suspicously low but worth a look
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194343961

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    not looking that hard then as there is plenty decent looking estates out there

Indeed! In fact there's a whold thread of them :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055629192

I wouldnt be putting a wet board in a car, believe me, ive always had them covered.

Suppose the octavia estate would have more height in the back over the hatch, but the hatch still seems pretty big, id say the boot is way bigger than the bora...

Advertisement