Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court fines coarse fish poachers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Please, they're not bailiffs, they're fishery officers. Thanks!

Also, the article doesn't say if they actually attended court. It is notoriously difficult to track down some people and actually get them to pay those fines. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

About time. A long time coming even if they were not in court it will send a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Wow thats a bit harsh, looks like I will be frying in future then.

aaaand on a serious note... what constitutes a poacher? A person without a license? or a person taking undersized fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

absolutely delighted... great to see a judge coming down hard on these absolute scum bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Are they allowed to publish their home address like that? I'm all for naming and shaming but divulging home addresses like this is going a bit far IMO!

Don't we have some sort of Data Protection Act in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Jumpy wrote: »
    What constitutes a poacher? A person without a license? or a person taking undersized fish?
    Both IMO.

I think we can use the term "poacher" when somebody is not 100% in compliance with the laws / rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

neil_hosey wrote: »
    absolutely delighted... great to see a judge coming down hard on these absolute scum bags!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

About time this started to happen. With any luck this is only the start of people being punished for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Are stroke hauls illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tinytony wrote: »
    Are stroke hauls illegal?

Yes. Completely illegal.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes. Completely illegal.

I thought as much. I remember being down in Cork years ago and fellas were using em on the incoming tide, not sure what they were after, looked like it would be impossible to catch a fish with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Crimbo

Great news indeed. Our fish stocks are getting targeted on a daily basis now. I observed 3 poachers using nets on Saturday. The lake they were netting is a private lake and is reported to hold specimen pike. If the average person could see the state some of our best waters have been left in after these guys they would be sick to their stomachs.

Tourism ha who would want to come to a country where the lakes have been emptied of their most prized fish just to feed some toe-rag's that are too tight to buy food in a shop like the rest of us.

Forgot to say the fisheries and guards were called for the guys netting. Damn it did i just call these fish stealing feckers "guys"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Are they allowed to publish their home address like that? I'm all for naming and shaming but divulging home addresses like this is going a bit far IMO!

They shouldnt just be named they should be in prison.

It's the exact same as any other case that comes before the courts. Do you not see the name and address of people who have been convicted of motoring offences etc in the local paper every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Delighted - should be a lot more of this TBH.
    And whether or not they pay the fines - it means the now have a criminal record in this state, and that can make life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Gunth

Hopefully this will send out a strong message to other poachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Jumpy wrote: »
    Wow thats a bit harsh, looks like I will be frying in future then.

aaaand on a serious note... what constitutes a poacher? A person without a license? or a person taking undersized fish?

both i hope

Advertisement