Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Account Suspension

• 21-07-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Okay so just off the phone after having WAR with some script reading agent from O2 Account. Been a pay monthly customer with the network for 5 years, and thismorning I had outgoing AND incoming calls suspensed because of an over due balance of a WHOPPING….. 62euro.

I know. Crazy.

Anyway, been wanting to leave the network for a while but stuck in another like 8 month contact, so just wondering, if I DON’T pay…. Whats the WORST than can happen other than I lose my number? Which I could prob dispute with comreg anyway and get it moved.

They'll prob come after the 62 euro but thats all they'll get right?

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I know. Crazy.
    you didn't pay your bills and they stopped your service. That's not crazy. Whether it's €10,000 or €1 you still didn't pay the bill
    Anyway, been wanting to leave the network for a while but stuck in another like 8 month contact, so just wondering, if I DON’T pay…. Whats the WORST than can happen other than I lose my number?
    What will happen is they'll sell the debt on to a debt collection company who will call to your door and hound you for the money
    Which I could prob dispute with comreg anyway and get it moved.
    No you couldn't
    They'll prob come after the 62 euro but thats all they'll get right?

Plus the debt collector's fee plus your monthly commitment times the 8 months you have left in your contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I don't know what it is about mobile phones that alters people's sense of entitlement! You didn't pay your bill, so they cut you off. I see no reason for outrage here.
    I'm pretty sure that they give you a reasonable amount of time to pay before they cut you off, too. Why didn't you ring them and tell them if you were going to be late with your payment?

Also, €62 is not a small phone bill and in this economy O2 certainly cannot afford to let people away with not paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

O2 used to have a policy. Bill went unpaid, warning or reminder after a month, termination of outgoing calls after 2 months but you could still receive calls. Now its 2 weeks. Reason being, is the level of bad debts/ unpaid bills is gone through the roof so a tougher approach had to be taken. Happened me recently due to an employer not paying wages so literly hadn't a bean to pay them.My custom is aproximately 11 years with a tenure of €22,000. It doesnt matter if you owe them a fiver of 500 euro same approach is taken.

If you dont pay them you will lose your number as you wont be able to port it. They will also keep charging you line rental so the bill will go up & up for the remainder of your contract. If it continues to remain unpaid they will send letters etc etc until they will eventually get Stubbs gazette to take over. For the sake of 60 odd euro it may not be worth the hassle to go down that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right so, you didn't pay your bill and because your debtor had the gall to actually call you on it, you're going throw a huff and continue to refuse to pay it? How does that make any sense whatsoever? How can you be outraged about something which is your own fault?

Most companies are getting very tough on any kind of outstanding debt because a lot of individuals and companies are starting to put off their payments because they think they can get away with it.

Worst-case scenario: O2 take you to court for €62 + 8 months contract fees. They win and get a judgement against you and you will be unable to get any kind of loan/credit for 5 years because no-one will want to touch you.

Best-case scenario: O2 cut you off, cancel your contract and hand the debt over to a debt collection agency who harrass you for the guts of 2 years or until you pay up.

If you actually cannot afford €62, then clearly both of these avenues are the least of your worries. On the other hand if you have €62, then pay your debt and save yourself a load of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

At what point did you know you couldn't pay the bill? At what point did you tell o2? Did you tell them or just ignore the problem?

Why can't you pay the bill? Have you made an offers to o2?

From the limited info you've given us (you didn't pay your bill so got cut off) i don't see what your complaint can be without answering my other questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Firstly nice to see nobody in here seems to be feeling the pinch of a recession, all bills paid ontime and in full by everyone here yea?

The reason I was in debt with O2 was because my bill is made through standing order everymonth, I'm paperless billing so didnt notice when I went over my bundle.
    I got a call, and a text message from O2 on Friday, I Called Customer Service and advised i'd pay it on the next bill to just add it on.

Today I get disconnect. Last year O2 recieved around the 5 grand mark in cash form me.... a daylight robbery when my usage totally isnt mental.
    Every bill has always been paid in full, for 5 years. So when I give a company such respect and pay them there dues everytime, ever after experiencing network outages, faulty handsets, billing errors etc You'd expect some leeway in return for otherwise good customers.

Instead, they cut me off with a weekends notice, when even getting a payment from my bank to O2 would be difficult in that short time.

Was onto comreg thismorning, have the number porting as we speak onto a meteor sim, should be working by morning.

They can have they're 32 euro, I wont be paying the remeinder of the contract through. Sue me. No doubt they'll try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

5 grand? 400 odd a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Firstly nice to see nobody in here seems to be feeling the pinch of a recession, all bills paid ontime and in full by everyone here yea?
    This discussion is about you. You brought up your situation in the original post.
    The reason I was in debt with O2 was because my bill is made through standing order everymonth, I'm paperless billing so didnt notice when I went over my bundle.
    I got a call, and a text message from O2 on Friday, I Called Customer Service and advised i'd pay it on the next bill to just add it on.

What did they say when you called them and said this? Did they agree to it?
    Today I get disconnect. Last year O2 recieved around the 5 grand mark in cash form me.... a daylight robbery when my usage totally isnt mental.
    Every bill has always been paid in full, for 5 years. So when I give a company such respect and pay them there dues everytime, ever after experiencing network outages, faulty handsets, billing errors etc You'd expect some leeway in return for otherwise good customers.
    Leeway is fair enough. I agree if you're a decent customer for a long time you should be given a chance .. half a one at least .. but I'd like an answer to my question above first.
    Instead, they cut me off with a weekends notice, when even getting a payment from my bank to O2 would be difficult in that short time.
    They told you they were going to cut you off?
    Was onto comreg thismorning, have the number porting as we speak onto a meteor sim, should be working by morning.

They can have they're 32 euro, I wont be paying the remeinder of the contract through. Sue me. No doubt they'll try.

They haven't breached any T+C that both partys (you and them) agreed to yet, but you have.. from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Just so you know even though Meteor submitted a port request to O2 this will most likely got rejected by O2 as you owe them money and your account has been suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Walkman wrote: »
    Just so you know even though Meteor submitted a port request to O2 this will most likely got rejected by O2 as you owe them money and your account has been suspended.

I was going to say the very same thing. The likelihood of them approving a port on a suspended account that owes them money is almost nil.

I'd just ring them, be polite and explain the situation. Believe it or not, O2 don't like suspending people's accounts and losing money, so I'm sure that they will reinstate it for you. Also, getting angry with the agents doesn't get you anywhere, justified or not.

If you try and move to another network and don't pay them, they will have a legitimate reason to cut you off and not release your number. If you are in the right and this is O2's mistake as you claim, then they are much more likely to fix this problem if you talk to them and sort it out instead of trying to dodge their charges and breaching your contract.

If you want, use their forums; the guys there are usually fair and helpful. Daryll even posts here from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

O2 are fairly straight forward and as you said they were reading off a script and iv dealt with them alot and never have they scripted me on anything , if it was 3 you were talking about here i wouldnt expect any less.

And by you having war with them is certainly not going to get you anywhere , you hear people giving out crap to CC lines but all they are doing is there job and there calls are mostly recorded and they have to keep their jobs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Not O2's fault. Yes, there is a recession, so adjust your spending accordingly. All my bills get paid on time.
    Again, not O2's fault. I always have a rough idea of how much I will owe meteor for my bill each month, at any given time. You don't pay a previous bill, then they will cut you off. Any other company will be the exact same, not just O2.
    Again, not O2's fault. How is it daylight robbery? You get quick a lot of minutes for €50 I imagine. If you're not using the minutes in your plan, drop down to a lower tariff! Its hardly fair if I, for example, call Meteors €90 plan "daylight robbery" just because I don't use the 600 inclusive minutes. I don't use the minutes, so I'm not on the tariff! Are you on the more expensive tariff, because you got a really cheap phone, which retails for quite a large amount of money, by any chance?
    It's quite likely as others have pointed out, that when Meteor go to perform the port in the morning, O2 will not release the number and the port will be rejected. In fact, chances are this has already happened. Port's generally take 20 minutes, 2 hours max, from the time you contact the new operator to request the port.

In the unlikely event the port does go ahead though, this will not stop O2 from proceeding to recover what you owe them.
    Oh they will. They're quite entitled to do so too - you signed the contract! Further, if they pass your details onto a debt collection agency, then you run a big risk of having your credit rating affected. That means next time you go for a billphone, credit union loan, bank loan, credit card, mortgage, car loan etc. the finance company won't want to know. Bit silly over €60 odd, no?

Sorry if the answers you get aren't what you want to hear, but the fault lies entirely with yourself, and no-one else.

Advertisement