Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quinn direct insurance cover am i covered?

• 21-07-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

My car got broken into and my side window got smashed as they stole a number of things from my car,i have Third party fire and theft..would i be covered for the window?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

No, you would only be covered if they had stolen the car, or set fire to it. The window is not covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

ok thanks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

thegame wrote: »
    My car got broken into and my side window got smashed as they stole a number of things from my car,i have Third party fire and theft..would i be covered for the window?
    It depends whether you have glass cover - AFAIK, it's generally an option with TP F&t. Check your policy/ask Quinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

yeah it says on my policy windscreen cover no..so im not covered,just rang aiw glass it will cost me 160 euros would i better off getting going to a scrap yard would it be cheap to get a window and get a garage to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

yeah it says on my policy windscreen cover no..so im not covered,just rang aiw glass it will cost me 160 euros would i better off getting going to a scrap yard would it be cheap to get a window and get a garage to fit it?

Hi

I would call the insurance company up and query it. As far as i know, this would be attempted theft damage-the damage arose out of theft so there is a possibility you will be covered but your excess will apply which is usually around €200-€300. So basically will not be able to claim as the cost of replacing the window doesn't excess your excess! If only you paid the extra 20-30 euro for windscreen cover!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

windscreen cover usually only applies to the windscreen itself, the side window which was damaged would not be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My Quinn Direct policy booklet says "We will pay the cost of repairing or replacing damaged or broken glass in the windscreen or windows of the vehicle, as long as there has not been any other loss or damage".

Exceptions: (they won't pay for)
    2. sunroofs
    3. vehicles on temporary cover

I've only picked out bits here but this suggests you're covered under your windscreen cover - assuming they don't try to invoke the "any other loss or damage" clause.

Ring 1890 512345 (24-hour windscreen helpline), give them your policy number, tell them what window is broken and ask them if it is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sarahlulu wrote: »
    windscreen cover usually only applies to the windscreen itself, the side window which was damaged would not be covered.

Completely wrong I'm afraid ;)

I have QD insurance and windscreen cover, and they covered it, after exactly the same thing happened, stereo gone etc. The put me in touch with some glass crowd who did it the next day and all they took was policy no., presto done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just to follow up on my last post. This is from my policy booklet.

picture.php?albumid=544&pictureid=3478

Again, check with QDI / windscreen company for your exact level of cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Check policy booklet - does it state the theft must be total theft?

Anyway, given that your loss amounts to €160 a claim would be crazy - you will lose no claims bonus of up to 2 years - i.e. if you currently have 40% it goes to zero. You lose the option of NCB increasing in the current year also so effectively NCB goes from 50% to zero!

Additionally Quinn will charge you an excess against the cost of the claim - this will be at least €150 (and I believe with Quinn it is €250)

Best just to stump up the costs of repair and move on, cheaper in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

thebiglad wrote: »
    Check policy booklet - does it state the theft must be total theft?

Anyway, given that your loss amounts to €160 a claim would be crazy - you will lose no claims bonus of up to 2 years - i.e. if you currently have 40% it goes to zero. You lose the option of NCB increasing in the current year also so effectively NCB goes from 50% to zero!

Additionally Quinn will charge you an excess against the cost of the claim - this will be at least €150 (and I believe with Quinn it is €250)

Best just to stump up the costs of repair and move on, cheaper in the long run.

We're talking about claiming under the €25 optional windscreen cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

Check quinn out before you claim cos there sneaky russians, you could loose your no claims bonus if you claim, i know someone it happened too

del-bhoy wrote: »
    Check quinn out before you claim cos there sneaky russians, you could loose your no claims bonus if you claim, i know someone it happened too

Yes it counts as a claim on the policy therefore no claims bonus would be lost, anyway it would not be possible to claim as cost would not exceed your excess (depending on what type of make/model glass is being replaced on, prices vary) Get windscreen cover next time! You will have to pay for the repairs yourself im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On any insurance policy I've ever held, "Theft" cover included any damage due to attempted theft, windows broken, steering & ignition damage etc.

Having said that, it's always wise to research how it will or won't affect your premium before you go ahead with a claim. Some Ins companies will just recoup the cost and more from you over the next couple of years.

I know with Quinn, if your excess is €200-€300 you the cost of replacing the window (if you don't have windscreen cover) is less that this excess (€160 in your case) then you CANNOT claim.

Advertisement