Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimo dead?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard anything else about this?

http://www.fightlinker.com/kimo-passes-away.mma
    Just to be clear: at this point, there is no confirmation of the statements made regarding Kimo.
    MMA fighter Beau Taylor made a post two hours ago as of this writing stating that UFC and PRIDE veteran Kimo has died of a heart attack:
    Greg Wilson of Newport BJJ Academy just called to give me the terrible news
    BJJ Black Belt and UFC, Pride, K-1, Shoot Box, and WFA veteran Kimo Leopaldo died from complications from a heart attack earlier tonight at St Fancis Hospital in Costa Rica
    He was 41 years old and a good friend and instructor to Greg.
    Very sad news if true. I will follow up with an article once there’s confirmation or denial of his story. I’m not trying to sensationalize anything or make this site into a tabloid; merely making sure people are informed.
    Let this serve as either a heads up that a legend has passed away, or that Matt Wiman trains with an absolutely pathetic, despicable dickhead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Sad news if true, RIP.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

could only find 1 other report of this. This report seems to be confirmation :(

http://mmamania.com/2009/07/21/kimo-leopoldo-dead-at-41-because-of-heart-attack-complications/
    Mixed martial arts journeyman Kimo Leopoldo died last night from complications caused by a heart attack, according to several published reports. He was 41 years young. The UFC veteran last competed inside the Octagon at UFC 48 in 2004, losing to Ken Shamrock via first round knockout (knee). He fared no better in the last performance of his career, which was a technical knockout loss to Wes Sims at Extreme Wars 5: “Battlegrounds” in 2006.
    Kimo (10-7-1) is perhaps best known for wearing down Royce Gracie in a losing effort at UFC 3, thus allowing Nebraska police officer Steve Jennum his 15 minutes of fame.
    Throughout his 12-year career, Kimo struggled with substance abuse. He tested positive for steroids several times, including after his last fight with Shamrock and prior to a scheduled bout against Bas Rutten at the World Fighting Alliance that never materialized.
    Kimo — who made an unsuccessful bid to become the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) — was also recently held by police for drug possession in Tustin, Calif., after authorities spotted the ex-fighter wearing a Long Beach Police Department jumpsuit complete with patches and a cloth badge.
    It’s unclear at this time if drugs played any role in his untimely death or if it was due to natural causes. R.I.P. Kimo: Jan. 4, 1968 to July 20, 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Devastator wrote: »
    could only find 1 other report of this. This report seems to be confirmation :(

http://mmamania.com/2009/07/21/kimo-leopoldo-dead-at-41-because-of-heart-attack-complications/

That's not confirmation, it says that it's only going off of other reports, none of which seem to be 100% reliable. Although when something like this happens, it usually ends up being true

He didn't have the most uneventful of lives and unfortunately it wouldn't be a huge surprise if were dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Say what you will about him, he is a major player in the story that is modern MMA. I liked him and the few interviews I read/saw he came across as a decent guy who'd just had a colourful life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Not a surprise really but sad if true.

• Advertisement

Last i heard about him he was arrested with posession of crystal meth .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Fozzy wrote: »
    That's not confirmation, it says that it's only going off of other reports, none of which seem to be 100% reliable.

I didn't say it was confirmation, I said it seems to be confirmation. Look at both articles, does the second not sound a lot more definite than the first? anyway, I'm not getting into a daft discussion on whther or not the article is a confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

There is no confirmation yet.

Kevin Iole's (MMA journalist for Yahoo.com) twitter says that he talked to Kimo's agent and he was talking to Kimo last night and he was fine, but hasn't talked with him today and that he wasn't where the original story said that he died

www.twitter.com/KevinI

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Jeez this business with internet reports of people dying is crazy, I don't like it.

Anyways, why isn't it a surprise he's dead ?

I think those sites are just masquearding rumour as fact. It could well be true, but there is a good chance its a troll job. Check this out..

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2781

Just seen this too:
    http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10007/

Well I hope he gets a fight out of all this pub.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Jeez this business with internet reports of people dying is crazy, I don't like it.

Anyways, why isn't it a surprise he's dead ?

I'm just used to seeing it in wrestling with guys who've had drug problems and brushes with the law dying young

Right so he's not dead... who's ready for another Kimo vs. Shamrock fight ? :D

I'm just used to seeing it in wrestling with guys who've had drug problems and brushes with the law dying young

The thing is that rumours in those cases are true the vast majority of the time.

Ah yeah i know but I had a quick look at his wiki (yeah lol I know , they think he's dead:p) ... what else beside testing pos. for a banned substance and arrested for wearing a badge and having hash ? If he was caught injecting heroin into his toes then maybe but taking a banned substance and having hash hardly qualifies does it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's just OMA trolling..

The resurrection of Kimo?

The man died in Costa Rica and woke up in California.

kimo121399.jpg

Ah yeah i know but I had a quick look at his wiki (yeah lol I know , they think he's dead:p) ... what else beside testing pos. for a banned substance and arrested for wearing a badge and having hash ? If he was caught injecting heroin into his toes then maybe but taking a banned substance and having hash hardly qualifies does it :confused:

It was worse than hash that he was arrested for

• Advertisement

It was worse than hash that he was arrested for

No it wasn't.

Ah right, meth, yeah that's a bit different. Was it confirmed it was meth he was caught with ? Any more info on the charges ?

He was a bit of a weird guy though wasn't he ? Wasn't he some kind of preacher or minister or something ? He was into his religion anyways last time I saw an interview with him which would've been............ whenever that UFC Payback Shamrock fight was.

Yea it was just hash. It was falsely acclaimed to be meth by the media. Sherdog even did a retraction over it.

Ah right, meth, yeah that's a bit different. Was it confirmed it was meth he was caught with ? Any more info on the charges ?

He was a bit of a weird guy though wasn't he ? Wasn't he some kind of preacher or minister or something ? He was into his religion anyways last time I saw an interview with him which would've been............ whenever that UFC Payback Shamrock fight was.

It wasn't meth. That was a false allegation. It was just a bit of weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

If you want a good read pick up a copy of Flat Earth News about this kind of "news".

dlofnep wrote: »
    It wasn't meth. That was a false allegation. It was just a bit of weed.

I didn't realise that until last night. The correction didn't get nearly the level of coverage as the original story did :pac:

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's just OMA trolling..

:pac:

Advertisement