Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Vs Oil central heating, which is cheaper?

• 21-07-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

The folks are considering changing from gas central heating, currently using oil from a tank in the garden. Which is cheaper?

(please move to a more suitable forum if appropriate.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

depends, piped gas is cheaper than oil tank is cheaper than gas tank.

see here

http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Tank gas is expensive and most people are in contract with whichever supplier supplies the tank, prices are up to 40% higher when locked into contract. There was a thread on askaboutmoney that mentioned a source for unbranded gas tanks.

Oil tanks are cheap and easily obtainable used. Boilers are generally more expensive for the equivalent. Oil combi boiler v. expensive.

Mains gas is cheap in large quantities, my parents can't use anywhere near the minimum with bord gis to achieve the cheap rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Thanks guys it is piped gas AFAIK. I think there used to be piped oil on the estate many years ago which changed to tanks. I am just 5mins down the road and have piped gas so presume it is the same.

Cheers

Advertisement