Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinforcing an old building

• 21-07-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Not sure if this is something directly related to this area, and may belong more in construction - but ye all seem to be a resourceful bunch - so here goes :)

We have an old building, and one of the walls is starting to fall outwards - what I would guess is required (and this is purely a guess on my part) is to reinforce it with bracing rods through it, connected to steel beams put into the ground at the back of the building.
    The building is split level, the ground level at the back is higher, which should allow for beams to be buried which would ensure the roads dont pull the back wall.

Its an old building (an old mill), so I dont want a superb (or very expensive) job, just something to make it structurally sound.
    Maybe I shouldn't waste money on it, I should demolish it and just build a new shed. But I'd like to hold onto it if I could.

My question is where or how would I go about getting these reinforcement rods, and how big a job is it to put them in? (Or should I just demolish it and be done)

What ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's just an idea but you could add a wall, or walls, at right angles to the falling wall, like that shown in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

It depends how elaborate you want to get or how much money you want to spend, The simplest and quickest way is to prop against the outside of the wall with A-Frames,(similar to silage pit end stops) .
    Depending on the length of your wall and the height , you will probably need about one every ten foot along the wall for the same height, or what ever size you need ,for this porpouse can be made from6"x3" timbers ,common enough in 16fts or 20fts.
    Of course this depends on whether you have the room outside the wall.
    Another way without loosing any ground is to dig holes along the wall at ten foot apart and about 5ft out from the wall and about 2ft deep ,and remove a hole also in the wall then using a pre-welded sort of T-bar(one side 4ft other side2ft made from H Iron standing in the hole with the 2ft side in the wall , then pour concrete into the hole this just leaves the H Iron showing upwards and if the auld wall falls in the mean time then you use them for uprights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

inn very old buildings they had a bar going from one end to the other and treaded on the ends and the nuts adjusted to suit, that may not suit you because it would be in the way and could just end up cracking the wall somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

John_F wrote: »
    inn very old buildings they had a bar going from one end to the other and treaded on the ends and the nuts adjusted to suit, that may not suit you because it would be in the way and could just end up cracking the wall somewhere else

Hello all,

Thanks for replies.

I was thinking of the treaded bars all right - you'd see them on old buildings. But I have no idea where to get such an item, or where to start looking... :(

Its not so much a restoration project or the likes, more something to keep the building stable, so I dont want to spend a fortune either.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

ya could cost a bit, is there a roof on the wall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Need to see some pictures ,Any chance? If youre going to span that gap with a long bar you might need to weld two threaded bars( come in 10mm 12mm 16mm 20mm x 1m 2m 3m lengths from hardware ) on either end of an angle iron or re-bar you know the stuff they use in reinforcing inside shuttered walls,that would give you from 26ft up to 35ft no problem and then just hang the centre of it up to the ridge with same material , fairly common! (its called a collar tie)

Advertisement