Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing XP

• 21-07-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying this for my girlfriend. She wants a netbook, and that seems to be an alright deal. Problem is, it comes preloaded with a linux operating system. She'd have no time for that at all, so I'd be looking to get XP onto it straight away.

I'm fairly good with computers, but I've never installed an operating system before. I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on a copy of XP from somewhere. How easy is it to install a fresh operating system on a machine? And once I have XP on there, how easy is it to completely remove the linux operating system from the machine? Or is this done when installing XP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

When you install windows it will give you the option of removing the old hard drive partitions and setting up new ones, but you're going to have a bit of a hard time doing it without a cd drive!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oh yeah crap, completely forgot about that.

Hmmm, I'll have to rethink this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Don't get me wrong here, it's still possible... There are guides out there for installing Windows using just a USB key, but it will defintiely turn a fairly simple task into a bit of a headache if things go wrong...

This for example should do the job - http://www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Surely you can borrow an external drive somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You could get a usb drive that would do the job. You will also need the necessary drivers for when the OS is installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Onkle wrote: »
    Surely you can borrow an external drive somewhere?

I've started asking around, but I'm not too hopeful I know anybody that has one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Easy peasy

1)
    Format A Flash Drive
    Run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is addressed as "disk 1". you should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second drive using this command.
    (This was a warning that Josh added to his post along with the following commands that I copied from him, so kudos to Josh)
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32
    assign
    exit

2)
    Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive
    Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.
    xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

3)
    Boot from the USB key and your rocking.

Taken from Here

Advertisement