Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C180 Parking Brake Problem, or is it???

• 21-07-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Ok, done a search for any old threads on this topic but couldn't find anything relative.

It's a '04 C180 Classic model (mother's car). Yesterday, the father was driving it and when he went to engage the parking brake (naturally at a complete stop), the pedel engaged without the clicking sound you would normally hear.

Brake itself still holds the car in position and still releases with the lever as normal.

Only got told about it this morning and the folks have already booked it into the main dealers to look at it on Thursday morning.

Anyone with a previous similar experience to this especially with C180's or other cars?

Or is it a common thing in cars with this particular feature. Should we be worried about this?

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

needs the little plastic piece that makes the clicking noise at the pedal,takes 5 mins to fit it,easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

vw4life wrote: »
    needs the little plastic piece that makes the clicking noise at the pedal,takes 5 mins to fit it,easy fix

Thanks for that vw. Would you know where i could pick up one of those? Probably as handy to go to a Breaker's yard, cos i could have a go at fitting it myself. I'll have a look at the piece thats already there and take it from there.

Just to update, merc garage told us it was fine, nothing to worry about.
    However, to do a full repair of it would cost in the region of €400.

Just an interesting note to add to this, I remember reading the guidelines that the NCT use and there was a paragragh about engaging a handbrake and that they must be audible (ie a definite sound) from it.
    I think it was classed as a fail for the NCT. We could run into a problem come next year when its due for NCT again.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Brabus wrote: »
    Thanks for that vw. Would you know where i could pick up one of those? Probably as handy to go to a Breaker's yard, cos i could have a go at fitting it myself. I'll have a look at the piece thats already there and take it from there.

Breakers yard is best, Traynors in the north have C180 breakings...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

robtri wrote: »
    Breakers yard is best, Traynors in the north have C180 breakings...
    Would you know of any one in the republic who deals in breaking C180's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

the part only costs €2 ish from a main dealer,you'll only break the part takin it off another car,and how the **** can it cost 400 to fix it,they're talkin ****,€50 at the most in a main dealer,I've fitted millions of them,which garage did you bring it too

• Advertisement
Advertisement