Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flgihts withair asia...

Options
  • 21-07-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Anybody flown with them? toying with the idea of going home for christmas, they have flights from KL to London for E200...

So thinking of getting a jetstar flight to singapore, bus to kl then ryan air from london...
    Just have to figure cheapest way from nz to singapore...

Just wondering are air asia decent to fly with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yellowstar

Ive only flown short-haul flights with them but they are the ryanair of Asia!! ha ha!! I love them in fairness thats so cheap. I would expect zero frills, I wonder if they would even have tv?? sorry not tryin to kill your idea but youl get what you pay for :) Cheap tho prob not cheerful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It'll take you well over 60 hours to get from Australia to Dublin. If you're happy with that then go for it. I was going to go with them for €450 total one way (inc hotel etc) but have decided to go with Etihad for €603 for an all-in 24hr flight with one stopover. Far better use of your money imo. 60 hour journeys are not fun at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

60 hour flights may not be fun but why do it all in one go?
    Fly to KL and stay a few days, a few weeks/months (go to Thailand or Borneo)

Then when you have a nice tan go the rest of the way. I really dont understand why people don't stay longer in these stopover spots.
    KL is good but singapore is class IMO. Both are the hubs of south east asia travel.

Oh air asia are class as well, way better than ryanair

jank wrote: »
    60 hour flights may not be fun but why do it all in one go? I really dont understand why people don't stay longer in these stopover spots.

A lot of people don't have the time or money to run around for three or four weeks. It's much cheaper and more efficient to go straight to the destination for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Confab wrote: »
    A lot of people don't have the time or money to run around for three or four weeks. It's much cheaper and more efficient to go straight to the destination for me.

I understand in some minority of cases that this may be the case but mostly people jump on the plane and want to get to OZ so they can get pissed with the lads!

Like we are not talking about alot of money here. A few hundred euro could do you for a week or 2 in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam. Money that otherwise in alot of cases will be pissed up against a wall outside scruffy Murphy's! How exotic!:rolleyes:

I am talking about the backpacker/independent traveler here as these guys have alot more time to spare than say someone going on a 2-3 week holiday to OZ or return from OZ to see family before returning back to OZ. In that case one wants to get to the destination fast and I totally understand that 60 hour flights is not the way to go but hundreds and thousands of backpackers just fly to OZ without ever stopping to see whats in Singapore/KL or further afield have on offer!

I just don't understand it and its so cheap compared to OZ. They would rather spend 1-2 months on the Pi$$ in OZ as a way of "finding themselves" rather than spend that time seeing vastly different countries and cultures. I think they are missing the whole point of going away. Yet it is these guys who generally don't settle as well and head home disappointed. I am speaking from personal experience here as well from friends going away. Those that saw a bit of South East Asia were by and large taking the whole thing as a new experience and found their time in OZ/NZ alot better than the ones who flew right there got pi$$ed, found themselves in a rut and flew home disappointed.

Like in my case ill be having to head back about April/March for a wedding but will do it in such a way that ill have 3 weeks in China and or Japan on the way home! The flights will be paid for anyway so why not kill 2 birds with one stone and see the world! On the way back we might go via LA/Vancouver.

Yep!, a RTW ticket will cost just a little bit more than a return flight from NZ but we can fit in 2/3 different countries!

In a few months my parents are coming for a visit. Now they could have flown direct to me but they are like myself. Why run, when you can walk. So they are taking in San Francisco (1 week), LA (2 days), NZ (3 weeks), Sydney (4 days), Singapore (4 days) before heading back to Cork. All these flights which is a RTW ticket is costing them a whopping 1600 euro! Bargain!!!

Bare in mind that they are turning 70 next year.Fair Fcuks to them!
    Now they wont be staying in Hostels, they have booked themselves some nice hotels but **** it they worked all their lives and are now retired so they can enjoy themselves a bit.

I don't know, this is something that irks me!

• Advertisement

Have to say I agree with you by and large but the concept is the same as it was back in the day of the Grand Tour around Europe in the 18th/19th century. Initially it was a way of broadening horizons, of understanding how others lived and fitting in with them, of casting aside bias. Eventually it degraded into an unholy pissup and fcukfest. It's the same with Australia. Granted, you're not exactly going to find white Australian culture (if there is any) there, seeing as the backpackers are all European anyway and Australia is not exactly overburdened with cutting edge artistic/creative intellect anyway.

From a personal perspective I'm going because firstly my girlfriend is there 12 weeks now and I miss her, second I don't have a job anyway, and thirdly I probably won't get another chance to have an extended holiday again. I'm not going to be bothering with the backpacker culture as it's an expensive and painful way of clearing out a bank account in record time. And I hate hostels.

Advertisement