Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from BT Broadband / Talk a lot

Options
  • 21-07-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving away from BT Broadband / Talk a lot at the moment - the bills are just getting too expensive.

Are there any do's and don'ts with cancelling / moving to another provider? (and also):

- If I am out of Contract, can I just give my details to my new provider and let them organise it
    - Are there any hidden charges with BT once I am out of Contract, I can't see any on their own website
    - Line rental is paid two monthly in advance. Is this refunded if I only recently paid my last bill

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tinycrocodile

Hi,

I am just in the process of doing this - switching to UPC for broadband and phone line from BT. There are a lot of older threads complaining about BT not processing cancellations, so I think it can be a problem.

I am porting my old phone number over to UPC and they said that they will contact BT for me - so I don't cancel the phone number at all. They can't port a cancelled number, so this is important. Instead I fill out a form which they provide authorising the cancellation, and they liaise with BT.

However, I have to cancel the broadband myself, which I just did by phone today. BT's sales people are the ones who are the most likely to pick up the phone so I phoned them on 1800 923 924. They took the cancellation of the broadband, and said it would take effect in a few days. We'll see!

Hope this helps!

Advertisement