Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to the smoke

Options
  • 21-07-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi all
    am new to dublin (and to this forum!) and was wonderin if anyone could giv me advice bout clubs and societys to join to meet people. I know no-one here lol

tnx!x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

depends on your hobbies really...

what you into and where are you from? (second part just being nosey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aoifeosull

Well am into cinema,music,tennis and drama

Am from Galway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Where are you? There are tennis clubs in Raheny and Malahide, but that's no good to you if you are in Rathmines.

I'm in Terenure - is that close to those lol

am a total noob - no idea where anything is yet

No, sorry, but you are in a lovely area with lots and lots of amenities. A bit far from the city for my liking though! I am sure there will be a few locals on soon to tell you what is in the area, not overly familiar with it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a big tennis club just down the road from you in Templeogue. Nice bar there too.

http://www.templeoguetennis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a Boards Drama Group (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1089), afaik they do there stuff in Synge St School which is not to far from Terenure (16 or 16a will leave you right outside of the school basically).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

aoifeosull wrote: »
    I'm in Terenure - is that close to those lol

am a total noob - no idea where anything is yet

Depending on what part of Terenure you're living in rathgar tennis club might be closer.

http://www.rathgartennis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Not sure if you are student, part time, full time worker but I found working in a bar part time in Dublin was a great way to meet people. Just worked two nights a week but made alot of great friends and we used to organise things on our nights off together like bowling and the likes. Not much help if you are already busy working though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

aoifeosull wrote: »
    Well am into cinema,music,tennis and drama

Am from Galway:)

Firstly, welcome to the Big Smoke. Teranure isnt that far from the city at all.

if Your into cinema, You could try the IFI (shows mainly non-mainstream films)

Tbh, meeting people in a city is simular to meeting people at home.

Have you sorted a Job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

There is a boards midweek movie club, they have a facebook page 'Dublin Midweek Movie Club', the latest post seems to suggest they've stopped meeting up for the moment, and recommends this alternitive: http://arthouse.meetup.com/130/

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the help guys:) Will look into them all.

Ive moved here for work.Dont start til next week. Wil prob meet people thru that -but am just a bit lonely now lol

Teranure isnt that far from the city at all

Maybe not for you! ;) I did say "for my liking"...

OP, don't forget to do your route in to work, and... do it during rush hour to get your timing right, Agent Smith will agree as I am sure he likes to be prepared! fleur-de-lis-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There's a Boards Drama Group (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1089), afaik they do there stuff in Synge St School which is not to far from Terenure (16 or 16a will leave you right outside of the school basically).

The boards Drama Group is AWESOME and a great way of meeting people. I started going to the workshops a couple of months ago and they really are the coolest bunch of people I've ever met, and unbelievably welcoming.

We're on a break for the summer at the minute, but will be starting back up with workshops in a few weeks. Most weeks (ah who am I kidding, every week :p) we end up having a few drinks after the class and there are all sorts of other social events organised on the forum (murder mystery weekend, camping trip, boat-trip on the shannon, going to plays, going for drinks, going to the park, and that's just off the top of my head!).

I'd definitely recommend coming along to the workshops once they start up again, if you're nervous at all about heading in (you shouldn't be, cos like I said everyone is really welcoming, but a bit of nerves is understandable) feeo free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to meet up with you before the workshop and head in with you so you don't have to walk in alone and I'll introduce you to people :)

Welcome to Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

If you go to the cineworld cinema on parnell street in the city centre,its not far from the spire/o'connell st they do cinema cards. Its 20 euro a month and you can watch as many movies as you like. Its great if you have no cash,you can just spend the day watching movies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

lots of people new to dublin have liked the various boards beers because a lot of people are meeting up for first time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Give these guys a go alright, I know a few people involved, and they're great people.

Other than that, have a look around for a few pubs and the like. Personally, I like Sín É (On the Quays) - It's a pretty friendly spot. If you hear of any of the forums on boards.ie having beers, pop along. You might think it'll be a bit awkward, but they're good fun. Number 3, Fade St. is a good spot too, it can have a bad reputation, but I like a pint in there before it gets too busy :)

There's plenty of gigs on too, which is great. Spots like the Village and Whelans (Both Wexford St.), Thomas House (Thomas St.), Eamon Dorans (Temple Bar) and the like have free gigs midweek, which could be worth popping into. Gigs might not be the best spot to meet people, but at least you'll be out and about!

If you like your art, Thursday is generally the main day for openings, and you'll find a few every week. You'll meet some nice and some unusual people at them. It's usually a source of free alcohol aswell if that takes your fancy. Three spots to watch are Monster Truck and Le Cathedral (Both around Thomas St), Filmbase (Temple Bar) - They're both near enough the bus in from Terenure. Don't forget you've got IMMA and Collins Barracks during the day too if you're in need of a wander.

Advertisement