Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSLR - What to get next

Options
  • 21-07-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a FuliPix S7000 and I have grown tired of it as well as grown beyond the limited functions - I now wish to move up and get a DSLR for between €700 and €850.

I have looked at many and I think certainly Canon and Nikon are the 2 front runners - with the Canon 500D as something which I liked straight off.

I am looking for something which can take very sharp daylight shots as well as long night exposures as I often do night time city-scapes.

Any Suggestions?

What DSLR Camera would you choose? 18 votes

Canon 500D
    0%
    Canon EOS 1000D
    55%
    CabaalDotOrgcharybdisFreddie59PaulieCstephend2006AnimalRightsdaycentpftchezzer 10 votes
    Nikon D40
    5%
    .Longshanks. 1 vote
    Nikon D60
    5%
    Teferi 1 vote
    Other (please outline in post)
    33%
    chat2joecoolmoosexshayxmaddogcollinsKbeg3gary82 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Im in the same boat as you shanemcdonald..I have the Fuji S5700 and am looking to upgrade to DSLR so ill be keeping an eye on the above results.

At the moment im drawn towards the Nikon D60. Although in my opinion very little between the lot, it feels best in the hand. I would advise if you have not held them to do so..It can makea difference on your perception of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

hey shane, maybe try something like the nikon d80, ye can pick them up second hand for 300-350 or a d200 for maybe 100 or so extra and use the rest of the money to get a good lens, a good lens is worth its weight in gold!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can't speak for the Nikon, but if you can stretch the budget I'd go for the Canon 50D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

32finn wrote: »
    hey shane, maybe try something like the nikon d80, ye can pick them up second hand for 300-350 or a d200 for maybe 100 or so extra and use the rest of the money to get a good lens, a good lens is worth its weight in gold!!!

My thoughts exactly. (even if a a bit better put.) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Hey I recently moved from a Fuji s6500fd to a Nikon D60.

I'd warn you that if you're investing in the best dslr with kit lens you can afford, then you'll find yourself even more limited than before! So I would definitely hold onto the Fuji until you can invest in a few good lenses.

For some things (macro and control of depth of field) I find the Nikon miles ahead (with the 18-55mm kit lens)... but when I want larger apertures for faster shots and more notably further zoom - I still pick up the Fuji.

I'd recommend getting an entry level dslr with some good lenses as recommended above, then you can upgrade the body later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Olympus E520 twin lens kit.

The best bang for your buck combo in the market at the moment. IS in body so all lenses are stabilised, the 2 kit lenses are best in class and there are some fine lenses available to upgrade to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Canon EOS 1000D
    I choose from that list the 500D ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Another vote for the Olympus especially if you will be stuck for a while with the kit lenses. The lenses are also so much smaller and lighter than Canon and Nikon lenses for the same focal length.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am looking for something which can take very sharp daylight shots as well as long night exposures as I often do night time city-scapes.

Any of the Bodies on that list will fulfil the need you have stated above. You will probably not get much better results than you get with the Fuji, especially with the kit lenses.

The glass and a good tripod is what you should be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

don't forget the Olympus lenses are sharper than the competition too.

Also you could look at the Panasonic G1, if you're used to framing with the LCD and like a Electronic viewfinder it's an amazing little camera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Canon EOS 1000D
    I have a FuliPix S7000 and I have grown tired of it as well as grown beyond the limited functions - I now wish to move up and get a DSLR for between €700 and €850.

I have looked at many and I think certainly Canon and Nikon are the 2 front runners - with the Canon 500D as something which I liked straight off.

Any Suggestions?

I went from a Fuji s5000 to a Canon 450D (predecessor of the 500D) in April 2008. As stated above, the Fuji can be a more versatile camera if you don't have the lenses for the DSLR.

If you're used to shooting in Manual then it won't be a major learning curve. But for someone coming from a Bridge in Auto (like me) it can be a nightmare.

There is no doubt that when you get down to the detail the DSLR is superior, but the 2004 Fuji still gives it a run for it. Have a look at my Flickr page. Majority are shot with the 450D - but check the New York set, shot with the Fuji, and you'll see what I mean.;):)

From the list above?

For the few quid involved go with the 450D ahead of the 1000D.

I've also had an Olympus C2W020Z P&S (outstanding quailty) so I wouldn't rule out the 520.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

32finn wrote: »
    hey shane, maybe try something like the nikon d80, ye can pick them up second hand for 300-350

Is that all they're worth now?:eek: I was considering putting mine (with only ~2.5k actuations)up on adverts, but if that's all they're worth I think I'll keep it.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Get a second hand body and a nice second hand lens.

Go for something like the 450D or 40D. Can't advise on Nikons but a second hand D200 would be a good investment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

Nforce wrote: »
    Is that all they're worth now?:eek: I was considering putting mine (with only ~2.5k actuations)up on adverts, but if that's all they're worth I think I'll keep it.:o

afraid so, i just bought a d80 with 6600 actuations as a backup camera for 310 with a few extras thrown in, bad time to be selling anything!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Unfamiliar with canon but at least consider a nikon body with an inbuilt AFS motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanemcdonald

Thank you all very much for your detailed replies - certainly loads for me to contemplate!

If I was considering purchasing second hand, are there any shops in Dublin / Cork which are reputable and who do body only sales ?

Also, to the Fuji S7000 owners, do you not find that the shots are not that crisp especially when zoomed? I find the colour depth a but weak and the edges somewhat soft ... maybe its just me.
    I will certainly be keeping the S7000 as I am very happy with the shots it produces, I just want to use techniques which the Fuji cannot produce due to a limited f2.8 to f8 range.

But thanks again to everyone for their time.
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bermingham cameras have a good selection of 2nd hand lenses, not sure about body's though. No harm in giving them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Keep an eye on the iso with the fuji - it was only when I stopped using Auto that I realised Auto always selected iso800 :confused:.

Advertisement