Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to claim ACCA exemptions

Options
  • 21-07-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all,

I recently registered with ACCA, to my surprise i only gained 2 exemptions (F2,F3). However when I looked at the syllabus for F1 and f4, i noticed that i had covered a large proportion of the material in my 4 year honours e-business course.

I emailed head office to explain my situation. Just wondering what are my chances of getting these other exemptions? It may have been a foolish enquiry, but I had to make some attempt!

Keep posting,
    Connery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Connery wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently registered with ACCA, to my surprise i only gained 2 exemptions (F2,F3). However when I looked at the syllabus for F1 and f4, i noticed that i had covered a large proportion of the material in my 4 year honours e-business course.

I emailed head office to explain my situation. Just wondering what are my chances of getting these other exemptions? It may have been a foolish enquiry, but I had to make some attempt!

Keep posting,
    Connery

To have any chance you will need to send them a copy of the exam paper(s) you sat and to also send them on a copy of the syllabus. If I recall correctly it has to match to 80% of ACCA's syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 yeah_ok

can I ask how long it took you to get your exemptions?

I got a letter the other day from ACCA expecting my registration to be done and my exemptions sorted but all it said was my registraion pack will be dispatched within 6 weeks, once my application has been successfully processed.

am really hoping they will be sorted soon because I'm hoping to start the classes next month.

cheers and sorry for hijacking your thread connery

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

I was annoyed with my exemptions, only got two (F1 and F3). Since I have a BBS and and MSc in business I thought I would have gotten more.

You need to send your transcripts of all the exams you did and they will decide whether you can get any more exemptions

It really does take six weeks, sorry about that. I wouldn't register for any class until your officialy told about the status of your exemptions. Enjoy your summer!!

well I know that I definitely won't be exempt from the Tax subject so I'll at least go ahead with that.

do you have to have F1-F3 completed before you can start F4 onwards?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

do you have to have F1-F3 completed before you can start F4 onwards?
      You can only do four in any six month period
      You must do them in order
    So, let's say for example that you get exempted from F1 and F3 only. That means that the exams available for you to sit are F2, F4, F5 and F6.

It is possible to do F5 and F6 (even though they're not in logical order) by registering for all four exams and only sitting F5 and F6. The fact is you've followed ACCA's rules but you've still managed to 'jump ahead' and cherry pick the exams you wanted to do.

Understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

Climber,
    that is incorrect. You can do any of the fundamental papers in any order (F4-F9 in this case). You cant do the professional papers before the fundamentals and within P papers you have to atempt essentials (P1-P3) before options (P4-P7).

So progression rule is: F1-F9 >>P1-P3 >>P4-P7

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

i had a similar problem in 2000 when i registered. my college said i was due 4 exemptions but when i applied to ACCA i was only given 2. got on to my employer at the time and ACCA dublin and both of these were a waste of time to put it mildly. i contacted Glasgow and they were not much better. i contacted my college but the person in charge was on holidays so i wrote a strongly worded letter to ACCA in Glasgow basically saying i am after spending 4 years in college and i am not going to spend any longer doing their exams than necessary. within 2 weeks i got the exemptions!! my adivce to you would be to liase with your college and take it from there.

raffles wrote: »
    Climber,
    that is incorrect. You can do any of the fundamental papers in any order (F4-F9 in this case). You cant do the professional papers before the fundamentals and within P papers you have to atempt essentials (P1-P3) before options (P4-P7).

So progression rule is: F1-F9 >>P1-P3 >>P4-P7

Regards

Thanks for that.

So if I was exempt from F1 and F3, I could do F5 and F6 at my first sitting and then maybe F2 and F4 at the second sitting for example?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

F5 builds on f2, so you'd need to do f2 first or do them in the same sitting

Advertisement