Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavalier puppy-questions before i get one

Options
  • 21-07-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hiya

SO have been thinkin for about 18months and have decided to get one in October/November, and I came across a breeder who will have them around then. (Love the breed, will probably have kids in the next five years and they have one of the best reputations)

Several things impress me, i.e., I can go to visit the home before commiting to one, the lady answered all my questions, and was honest. She said they prefer to take the pups back than see them go to a pound, they are all vet checked twice a year, has references from vet, and has been breeding for 10 years. Also has a strict no inbreeding programme which is major thumbs up after watching the pedigree dogs exposed show.

Only thing is she said the dogs are bred from since 18months as long as the dogs are healthy, and i heard the parents should be 2 and a half years on another website, is this a big no no?

Also is 450-500 the going rate for these dogs? We bought a golden retriever for 600 about 3 years ago.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask where you found the breeder and was she recommended? does she have many breeding bitches, as it sounds like she is breeding a lot maybe, which wouldnt be a good sign.
    Does she do all the necessary health checks for cavs, and not just a quick once over, there are specific health test for cavs which should be carried out before breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

she said she had 20 or so dogs which would explain the amount of litters.

I found her through a breeders list and she was one of the only ones who didnt say "the cavaliers are generally a healthy breed and don't have any specific health issues" (which makes me think those websites are for people who just want a dog and dont do the research). I don't know anyone who can recommend a breeder to me unfortunately.

She gave me the name, email and number of her vet who has dealt with her kennels so i will contact him before deciding on purchasing one from her, and she has told me he is happy to recomend them. I am rather happy with that also!

she has the vets do complete physicals and she has checklists of what has been done that the vet is happy to verify, and has therefore health information going back four generations.

I was planning on going out to the kennels in thenext few weeks and taking a look around and then talking to the vet too after the visit.

eh 20 dogs??? is she breeding all of them?? sounds like puppy farmer to me. I wouldnt be too quick to go with this breeder if you ask me, sounds very dodgy.
    What breeders list was that? did you contact the IKC for a list of their breeders? id be wary of breeders list found on the net, as you just dont know who you are dealing with tbh.

There are certian health tests for cavs that need to be done and as i said, thats not just a physical with test done at the local vets, theres more to it than that.
    I would def be contacting the IKC first for breeders as 20 dogs sounds very dodgy to me.

Some of them are spayed and some of them are retired, some are pets, on the website they say they are a member of IKC, CKC and Canadian Club (but I know that on Pedigree dogs exposed they showed a champion cavalier that had S.M and the judges knew he had sm. The owner of the cav went on to breed something like 27 extra litters after diagnosis!)

I have also found a breeder who has only 5 adult dogs, she is slowly stopping breeding because she wants to retire, only one litter available for the rest of the year and like one planne for next year, something like 47 champions in the past 10 generations, and the parents and grandparents have been so far clear of S.M and she supplis proven documentation to prove it. Only thing is they are ready available a little earlier than I was hoping, and because of the bloodline are 550 which are a little out of my budget. I was hoping for 400, stretching to 450.

Just came across a rescue cavalier with one eye, I think I am going with him, he is gorgeous! :) I want him now! Totally fallen for the guy, only thing is we are moving to a different house in September so was hoping to hold on til got our new place so might have to check with landlord first ;)

He is in a galway pound, do they stil carry out a home check?! Im in the cork area,

Thanks very much andreac, you have given me a lot of thought for buying a cav from a breeder!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

messygirl wrote: »
    and the parents and grandparents have been so far clear of S.M and she supplis proven documentation to prove it

I'd be interested to know what documentation she is offering to supply re the SM?

sorry wrote in a hurry, meant to say that she proves documentation regarding heriditary diseases that she has them tested against (heart, and plagellata sorry re spelling), and regarding the sm free parents and grandparents, she says that they havent a record of it in the grandparents and parents to date. Said would be happy to provide certs and stuff. will keep her in mind if i cant get the rescue dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

i got my little girl from a nice breeder in wexford, she cost me 350 and she has had no calavier related problems so far , i think i have the number somewhere if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Congrats on the Charlie, our little girl just turned 11 and she's still the most affectionate little creature.

Don't you just love them? I would love this rescue one,my heart melted when i saw him so fingers crossed! In the meantime I would love that number for the Wexford breeder? Thanks a mil! Or is it a website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Arent cavalier king charles supposed to be suceptible to infections compared to other breeds?

they have an awful lot of health problems but are also seen as one of the friendliest and most loving dogs, espcially towards kids. Im 24 so figure i will be having kids in about 5 years so i want the most child friendly dog.
    I knew one cav and he lived until he was 14, same age as my jack russel. had a couple of health problems but they were all manageable. I know not every cav is the same but still. I love big dogs like german shepherds and golden retrievers but i want something that as the most impeccable child record.

i will also look at lurchers from rescues just because they also have a wonderful reputation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hi Messygirl,
    Fair play for researching the breed before you picked a dog.
    I had a cav for 14 years who died in September:(, she was a brilliant dog with kids. My vet recomended cavs to my mother when our previous dog died. He said that cavs were the only breed that he had come accross that he hadn't been bitten by! They are brilliant dogs but just be prepared to deal with all the shedding. Also, if you get a female, I would advise spaying as cavs are more prone then most dogs to mammary tumors.
    Good Luck with whatever dog you get and please post some pictures!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Hey, I have two cavs and both have breed-specific health problems. However I would still highly reccommend this breed to anyone. If you want more info feel free to pm me..

In the meantime take a look at Joey he's near the end of the page:
    http://www.dar.ie/index.php?page=dogs-needing-homes

he is gorgeous! looks like falcor from never ending story! We are moving house in the next three-four weeks so will hold off until then due to homechecks and stuff....
    do dar homecheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

try donedeal.ie, lots of choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

I'm not too sure about DAR's rehoming policy as I have only fostered for them in the past. I would express my interest in this chap asap as he will be snapped up!

I wouldn't follow the above advice re:donedeal.ie when looking for a ckcs, it would be way too risky imho..

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

merryhappy wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about DAR's rehoming policy as I have only fostered for them in the past. I would express my interest in this chap asap as he will be snapped up!

I wouldn't follow the above advice re:donedeal.ie when looking for a ckcs, it would be way too risky imho..

Good Luck!

if not donedeal.ie, where else would you try? just wondering btw, a friend of mine is considering getting 1

a lot of reputable breeders go on donedeal too. i think asking the right questions and the costs should help you determine. If it is under 200 i would be wondering how come. also visit the puppy once or twice before buying it.

these are the questions i have asked:
    age of parents bred from
    health checks, any reports of health problems in immediate lines, certs
    support after
    contract/guarantees
    registration details
    how many animals they have
    Policy on inbreeding

when you go to see the area check the parents to see if they are healthy, check the living conditions, check the puppies for personality.

never buy a dog because you feel sorry for it because they are all bunched together, never buy it if you don't feel 100%, never buy one to give it a happy home after a bad start.

Do the research as well as to the breed health problems. if the breeder tries to tell you that they are a healthy breed walk away! you might have to go through a lot of breeders but you should be able to find some reputable ones this way

i can pm you details of a breeder i found who seems pretty good if you want? one litter this year and they are ready in 7 weeks

if not donedeal.ie, where else would you try? just wondering btw, a friend of mine is considering getting 1

Contact the IKC for registered breeders and they will put you in touch with someone who might have pups.

• Advertisement

Do the ikc have a particularly higher standard or do they give details about anyone with purebred puppies and that are registered with them?

we got the golden from done deal and were very lucky first time buyers we could have been fleeced but are very happy with himself, with cavs its a little different so regardless of the breeders recommendations i still planning on asking th questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 divadoll

yes i finally realise who u are dealing with, she has close on 25 and possibly more dogs as she is a hoarder, she does have them health screened for heart and pateller but quite honestely she is purely a commercial breeder as those dogs are confined to kennels every day as she is not physically not able to walk or exercise them. she lived in canada for years hence the canadian connection,there are a mass of these commercial breeders in wexford hiding behind the fact that they can produce health certs from a vet, this is not good enough as the dogs are only breeding machines, some of them have possibly 3 and 4 different breeds goin on. these people are well able to produce cute picturs of puppies and are very good with words in other words they are pure and simple sales people and dogs are their business. most of these people are actually all friends.her friend has about 40 dogs a mixture of cavaliers, bichons, cavashons and newfoundlands, i could go on and on and on where wexford is concerned and like i said vets the majority of them are only delighted to work with a dog kennel as they will get paid before they leave the house or recieve it at their clinic , they will do their job ..its ready cash and thats what counts.

Wow don't think I will be going to her then, can anyone recommend a good breeder? There is one in Wexford (a different one) who has a litter just born and they are 550, its her only litter this year because she is winding down and she has the proper certs and everything regarding all the main hereditary problems. Im looking to spend up to 400, 450 at a stretch! I know the rest of the puppy care like crate and that will add on another load of cash too.

Can I just ask how you knew that woman?

Is there anyone who can recommend a good breeder who will have puppies between September-January? Would love one mid september but dont mind waiting really. Its tempting to go with available puppies really and i feel so bad for still wanting to contact her if she has the health checks done!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I figure I'd post in this thread as its as close to my needs as I can see. My family is thinking of getting a dog for my da for his birthday. We had dogs at home all our lives but after the last dog died we did not replace him as there was not enough activity around the house. This has all changed with a fair few grand kids being there on a near daily basis. I am looking for recommendation of breeds and where to go. He really likes labs and nearly all of our dogs were rescued labs or a dog with a majority lab breed in him/her but this time we are thinking of a pure breed dog. We had a fair few strays take up home over the years also. Something good with kids, a dog that likes activity, a good temperament is essential due to kids and the fact that as my parents getting on in years a big dog that could turn nasty is not a good thing. My sister found a golden lab pup for sale through the IKC for 350 Euro but I have not looked into it yet so cannot furnish with much more details. All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Do the ikc have a particularly higher standard
    Imo, no. It's a business like any other...profit making is their goal. A breeder told me that he went to see a dog that one of the higher up people (a judge) was rehoming....the dog was in such a neglected state that he couldn't take it cos he reckoned it wouldn't have survived the 2 hour car journey.
    or do they give details about anyone with purebred puppies and that are registered with them?
    Yep, and where possible they'll steer you in the direction of a particular breed's Club Secretary- they all promote each others breeding businesses.

I've no doubt some of them are puppy farmers themselves.

call me socket is absolutely right about ikc people steering puppy buyers in the direction of their own friends.its a business like any other and i did reply yesterday on the wexford lady and cavalier puppies but i wonder why it was not allowed to be shown.i named nobody and i do not intend to name and shame but in a round about way i could have steered buyers away from others just like her............pathetic really u try and help people and you are axed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

You should check out www.cavaliertalk.com - lots of brill info and advice on cavaliers;)

The woman who runs the site rehomes cavs and has almost 10 needing good homes at the moment. They are the most affectionate breed of dog I've ever come across I wouldnt be without my one!

YES AND SHE GETS PAID FOR EVERY DOG THAT SHE RE-HOMES SOMETHING LIKE 200 EUROS, SO IF SHE HAS 10 NEEDING HOMES THATS 2000 EUROS.ITS A WIN -WIN AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

It's a E250 rehoming fee, and for that the dog is wormed/flead, vaccinated, neutered/spayed, and possibly microchipped as well- not certain on that one. Plus, she knows the dog's temperament and which home he would be most suited to. On top of that, you're giving a home to a dog that needs one cos it's been given up or dumped.

Of course, you could just pay out E400 or E500 for a pup and pay for all the above yourself on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

And rescues have to house and feed dogs while they're waiting for a new home too!

Advertisement