Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham confronts fans.

• 21-07-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

You would think that Beckham would have heard it all after playing in England. Seems a little WWE-esque to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Go on Golden Balls. Show em what for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

super-rush wrote: »
    You would think that Beckham would have heard it all after playing in England. Seems a little WWE-esque to me.

Great the way he calls the fan down to confront him ... all while backing away knowing that security will be on him like a tonne of bricks when he jumps down from the stand.

He cant have expected them to greet him back with open arms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Whats funny is, he does an interview afterward and says he went over to calm the situation down and was trying to call the fan down to shake his hand, but he was being abusive so he was taken away by security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is how you do it.

cantona-kick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whats funny is, he does an interview afterward and says he went over to calm the situation down and was trying to call the fan down to shake his hand, but he was being abusive so he was taken away by security.

To be fair, I trust the testimony of the player, and the calm looking lady fan at the end over the drunken fans spoiling for a fight.

Either way, he should've done all his talking on the pitch. Either that, or wait till the second half started and hit the fan with a "wayward pass". :p He can drop it on a sixpence so I wouldn't put it past him.

Btw, thats the greatest photo of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

ShaneU wrote: »
    This is how you do it.

cantona-kick.jpg

First thing that came into my mind :pac:

This is some of his interview afterwards

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12602_5444303,00.html?ssvTab=1&ssvSelectedTab=12599&ssvBasket=12602&ssvPage=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kirby wrote: »
    Either way, he should've done all his talking on the pitch.

When he actually deigns to be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Goldenballs is so 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Didn't he just ask the guy to come down to shake his hand? The lady at the end of the video admitted as much, as did Becks himself.

Tbh, I'd trust her and Becks more than the words of some ranting and raving lunatics (Presumably the same guys who had the "Is evil something you are or something you do" and the "23: repent" signs )

I'm sure he's taken worse abuse after the world cup, with chants about Brooklyn and Posh. I'm not sure why he'd randomly chose to "confront" fans now. It looks like he was trying to make peace. I've seen the interview afterwards on the pitch and leaving the stadium and seemed very relaxed.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    more than the words of some ranting and raving lunatics (Presumably the same guys who had the "Is evil something you are or something you do" and the "23: repent" signs )

How do you know they're ranting and raving lunatics?

Because they feel short-changed by Beckham?

Because they're brandishing a sign that is mildly critical of a player that their money is helping to pay?

I feel that there is an element here of Beckham taking the abuse in places like England, but perhaps feeling that supporters in places like America should be beholden to him.

Beckham is getting paid more than enough (when he actually shows up for work) to turn his, no doubt immaculately moisturized, cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

In fairness Stovelid what you say above is baseless and goes against anything I (and I would say most on here or anywhere) have seen of Beckham generally for that matter.

and no they are not getting paid to take abuse. Doesn't matter how much they get paid either.

mayordenis wrote: »
    In fairness Stovelid what you say above is baseless and goes against anything I (and I would say most on here or anywhere) have seen of Beckham generally for that matter.

and no they are not getting paid to take abuse. Doesn't matter how much they get paid either.

Sure, it's presumptuous of me, in fairness. Whatever about the silly abuse he took in England, there is some basis to this which makes it even more imperative that he keeps the head.

I don't know much about them, but I have some sympathy for the supporters, who just sound to me like your basic Ultra group, who obviously feel let down by Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

stovelid wrote: »
    The guys after the game in their comments (who themselves were doing quite a bit of ranting) did say the people he was dealing with were demented drunk.

As for beckham himself though, i would be very pissed off myself if i were a galaxy fan, nearly halfway into the season and he's only just coming back. What you want most from the players of your team is for them to display some of the same love for the club which you do, and to do their utmost to bring success to the club. Spending so much of their season off having the craic in europe doesn't really match up to this.

Now, i like beckham a lot, both as a player and person, but i can totally understand galaxy fans being annoyed with him.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The guys after the game in their comments (who themselves were doing quite a bit of ranting) did say the people he was dealing with were demented drunk.

Who hasn't been at football? :D

Picture your average fan on boards - full of drink - and their top (obscenely remunerated) player has just sauntered back from a basically unauthorized loan period in Europe to lend a hand.

Whether or not Beckham is a decent guy, and I had lots of time for him when he was with United, he is pushing it here surely.

Because they feel short-changed by Beckham?

Because they're brandishing a sign that is mildly critical of a player that their money is helping to pay?

I feel that there is an element here of Beckham taking the abuse in places like England, but perhaps feeling that supporters in places like America should be beholden to him.

Beckham is getting paid more than enough (when he actually shows up for work) to turn his, no doubt immaculately moisturized, cheek.

Lots of things here....

How is his loan spell "unauthorized"? Did LA Galaxy agree to it? Yes.

The "fans" involved are are the "LA Riot Squad" and were hammered drunk by all reports, with signs that could be perceived as eccentric to say the least.

"Is evil something you are or something you do?" - Come on now - mildly critical? They said he was "evil"?!?!!? You'd swear he'd murdered someone. In my mind, there are no doubt that these people were complete loons.

Why would Becks not do something similar after the WC against Argentina, when he was heckled by fans at every ground in England, who sang songs about his son and his wife?

He didn't "confront" the fans, he tried to make peace with them, but of course, that isn't really as sensational. If wanting to shake someones hand to make peace with them, even while they continue to swear at you, is "pushing it", then, yes, he was.

The fans can feel hard done by, thats fair enough, but wanting to make peace with them provolks criticism? I don't understand this. It's just another chance to have an unwarranted pop at Becks.

Lots of things here....

How is his loan spell "unauthorized"? Did LA Galaxy agree to it? Yes.

Unauthorized is probably a bit strong. What about under duress.

Do you reckon LAG (management, team-mates, fans) were completely happy about spending so long in Milan?

The "fans" involved are are the "LA Riot Squad" and were hammered drunk by all reports, with signs that could be perceived as eccentric to say the least.

"Is evil something you are or something you do?" - Come on now - mildly critical? They said he was "evil"?!?!!? You'd swear he'd murdered someone. In my mind, there are no doubt that these people were complete loons.

Drunk? At a football match? :mad:

I don't know the group, but they just sound like Ultras. I doubt Beckham is too fazed deep down. The guy has played in Italy and England, and in loads of needle-matches at international level.

The sign seems fine to me. Bit of poetic license maybe. Clue: Evil may be figurative, and not literal.

If you think that's OTT, I assume that you haven't been to many derbies.

I don't like songs about his family. Or obviously any kind of actual confrontation. Nothing wrong, however, with feeling the ire of the people shelling out to watch LAG and by extension, Beckham's exorbitant wages.

I suspect that all this hoopla about the supporters is diverting attention away from the fact that Beckham has treated the supporters - and his teammates - pretty shabbily.
    Why would Becks not do something similar after the WC against Argentina, when he was heckled by fans at every ground in England, who sang songs about his son and his wife?

He didn't "confront" the fans, he tried to make peace with them, but of course, that isn't really as sensational. If wanting to shake someones hand to make peace with them, even while they continue to swear at you, is "pushing it", then, yes, he was.

"Becks" should ignore them and concentrate on making amends on the pitch, instead of publicity-seeking, elder-statesman acts of contrition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My opinion on the matter would be that he should expect fans to give him a hard time. He has shown no loyalty to the club and has put his international career before his club career. This suggests he's there for the money more than any desire to help the fan's club.
    He may have simply been trying to make peace with the fans but that's a very naive approach. It's not a thing than can be done by talking. He should be out on the pitch busting his gut to win over the fans again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Fan who confronted Beckham,is it just me or is this fella missing half his body?The invisable fan

article-1200828-05C628FA000005DC-66.jpg

Unauthorized is probably a bit strong. What about under duress.

Do you reckon LAG (management, team-mates, fans) were completely happy about spending so long in Milan?

Of course some sections of the support were going to be unhappy, thats fair enough. Thats their right to be unhappy. Its their right to boo him. Ultimately, its not going to change what happened, benefit the team, or the player, but as fans, that is their choice.
    I don't know the group, but they just sound like Ultras. I doubt Beckham is too fazed deep down. The guy has played in Italy and England, and in loads of needle-matches at international level.

Exactly my point. He wasn't fazed, my whole point is that he didn't "confront" fans as the video suggests, unless you regard confrontation as the offer of a handshake. It suggests he was aggressive. He wasn't in the least. He laughed off the whole thing after the game, but people are trying to portrait him in a different light.
    The sign seems fine to me. Bit of poetic license maybe. Clue: Evil may be figurative, and not literal.

"Becks" should ignore them and concentrate on making amends on the pitch, instead of publicity-seeking, elder-statesman acts of contrition.

Maybe so, but there was still a section of his own fans giving him abuse. He tried to calm the situation by making peace with them at half time. How could he possibly be in the wrong by wanting to defuse the situation? Do you honestly think that as he was taking abuse, he paused, and thought to himself, "hmmm, i wonder how I could get some publicity out of this?". Come on now, lets not be silly.

People always seem to try to see the worst in Beckham. Criticise him for leaving for Milan, but don't critcise him for trying to make peace with some malevolent idiots giving him a torrent of personal abuse.

Abusive fans get too much protection in general. It doesn't matter if you get paid €1 per week or €1,000,000 per week, you get paid to play football, not take abuse. If you want to boo to show your displeasure, fine, but why does it have to result in personal abuse? Does the guy in the picture above ("clue" - as you put it ;) - the guy being restrained ), look like he is using "poetic license". Although, the hat is quite dashing, I will admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

If I was a Galaxy fan, I'd be a little upset by the board's original decision to hire Beckham; and if I was a player there, I'd resent him for being on wages multiple times greater than my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I hate the way Beckham stories get all this front page coverage. The man is essentially a retired footballer.

People always seem to try to see the worst in Beckham. Criticise him for leaving for Milan, but don't critcise him for trying to make peace with some malevolent idiots giving him a torrent of personal abuse.

Abusive fans get too much protection in general. It doesn't matter if you get paid €1 per week or €1,000,000 per week, you get paid to play football, not take abuse. If you want to boo to show your displeasure, fine, but why does it have to result in personal abuse? Does the guy in the picture above ("clue" - as you put it ;) - the guy being restrained ), look like he is using "poetic license". Although, the hat is quite dashing, I will admit.

I think we'll agree to differ on this one.

I have no major negative feelings about Beckham, but I can think of few players who would "try to make peace" (with all its overtones of omniscience) with abusive fans instead of buckling down and winning back respect. At best, it's naive; at worst, it seems to trivialize the supporter's anger and smacks of arrogance.

When is the last time you've heard of a player getting abuse from fans and strolling over for a chat to reason with them. Who does he think he is?

Most players who treated the club as shabbily as that would be finished with the supporters forever.

As for that guy, I can't comment on a single picture. Perhaps he is responding aggressively to being manhandled or he is a nutter. I haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Some things I find ironic about Beckham's behaviour:

1) He complained to the media about Landon Donovan's comments about him, saying that he [Donovan] should have come to Beckham personally to discuss differences... ...so why was Beckham then not confronting Donovan personally instead of using the media?

2) Throughout his career, he complained about negative media attention towards Victoria and his children. Why didn't het just get court orders to block all of the attention? Michael Jackson did it for his children. I think Victoria secretly needed the attention because her career otherwise would be in tatters.

3) He's a good-hearted guy, but ever since laeving United, you get the feeling that he thinks the whole world is against him. I like him, but some things about him are odd (see above!)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

When is the last time you've heard of a player getting abuse from fans and strolling over for a chat to reason with them.

+1 was never a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Beckham's had another run in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8169956.stm

The circus is unravelling, and he needs regular football to be considered for South Africa next summer. If you take one look across the Atlantic Redknapp, I'll cut your jacobs off...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Beckham's had another run in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8169956.stm

The circus is unravelling, and he needs regular football to be considered for South Africa next summer. If you take one look across the Atlantic Redknapp, I'll cut your jacobs off...:D

In fairness he does well playing in proper leagues and really badly playing in shíte leagues. He's the polar opposite of Landon Donovan basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

-Beckham wants to be in the AC Milan tag team over the Galaxy one...check
    -has a media spat with team mate Landon Donovan...check
    -Calls the fans out of the crowd...check
    -insults the wife...check

Now for Wrestlemania 2010, Becks V Galaxy Ultras in a no holds barred match.

Bet ya that was written into his $250m contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Beckham is still a quality player & is good enough to play for virtually any team in Europe.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    is good enough to play for virtually any team in Europe.

He really isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Beckham is still a quality player & is good enough to play for virtually any team in Europe.
    BS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He really isn't.

He really is.

I'd welcome him back to Milan with opened arms, he worked his bollox off for the few months he was there and got a good amount of assists.

He is still one of the fittest players on the planet and MilanLab said the only problem he had was a minor dental problem and the only corrective treatment he undertook was the wearing of a retainer for 4 weeks.

His game was never about pace, it was always about busting a gut and delivering quality balls from beep and wide right, he did that in bucket loads while at Milan.

He wouldn't be the first name on the team sheet but he would certainly be in the match day squad.

He'd walk onto the spurs team to be very f*cking fair.

Seaneh wrote: »

And most other PL sides, but that doesn't mean he'd walk into virtually any team.

He would not secure a starting role in any of England's top 4.

He would not secure a starting role at Real or Barca.

He does not command a starting role for his national team.

He is a very good option off the bench, but playing him at the highest level of competition for 90mins so he can take free kicks and corners is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

He really is.

I'd welcome him back to Milan with opened arms, he worked his bollox off for the few months he was there and got a good amount of assists.

He is still one of the fittest players on the planet and MilanLab said the only problem he had was a minor dental problem and the only corrective treatment he undertook was the wearing of a retainer for 4 weeks.

His game was never about pace, it was always about busting a gut and delivering quality balls from beep and wide right, he did that in bucket loads while at Milan.

He wouldn't be the first name on the team sheet but he would certainly be in the match day squad.

He'd probably be considered young in the milan team:D

Quint wrote: »
    He'd probably be considered young in the milan team:D

He'd be the oldest midfeilder in the team and only Dida, Kalac, Flavalli and Inzaghi would be older than him, of those only one is likely to play any given match day (Inzaghi). Two of them will not play at all (Dida and Flavalli) baring a lot of injuries and one of them is onyl cover untill Abbiati is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Maybe he wouldn't start every game, but there's no denying that Beckham still has bundles to offer. His crossing is still absolutely lethal and his set-pieces are world class.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And most other PL sides, but that doesn't mean he'd walk into virtually any team.

He would not secure a starting role in any of England's top 4.

He would not secure a starting role at Real or Barca.

He does not command a starting role for his national team.

He is a very good option off the bench, but playing him at the highest level of competition for 90mins so he can take free kicks and corners is nonsense.
    Free kick and corners? What about his passing? No one can pick a player out of a crowd like Beckham can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Free kick and corners? What about his passing? No one can pick a player out of a crowd like Beckham can.

Xavi?

Alonso?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Xavi?

Alonso?

Neither are close in terms of putting the ball in the exact spot, they might have a better footballing brain will see more but Beckham's long ball/corner/free kick delivery rate would be a lot higher than both.

Also, Pirlo's delivery > Alonso > Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Neither are close in terms of putting the ball in the exact spot, they might have a better footballing brain will see more but Beckham's long ball/corner/free kick delivery rate would be a lot higher than both.

Also, Pirlo's delivery > Alonso > Xavi.

I had highlighted where you were saying his passing was top notch. He is nowhere near Xavi, or Alonso for in game passing. I would agree that he is better in dead ball situations than either, but he is not in their league when it comes to passing and controlling a game's tempo with passing, and his long range passing is nowhere near as accurate or as consistent as Alonso's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I think the reason for Beckham's outbursts against these fans is that his once golden image in the US is being tarnished by his actions. The "Beckham Experiment" book by Grant Wahl where everyone at the Galaxy is quoted, except Beckham of course who wanted a stipend for his precious words of wisdom shows how the Beckham Circus made crazy demands when he first arrived and his lack of commitment especially last year.

Beckham has been showing his immaturity and breathtaking two-facedness of the guy. Long after Beckham has slunk back to Europe, citing dreams of lighting up South Africa in 2010, his name will be mud in MLS. Quite right too. Truth is, in MLS terms, Becks is not fit to clean Landon Donovans's boots. Beckham is a wannabe Pele who was a superstars in the US in the 70's but also wants to get his 125 caps and be part of the World Cup, and therefore he must play in Europe to satisfy Capello. But he can't have it both ways and expect everything to be rosy.

Also, Galaxy fans as Ultras? Give me a break. They are very loyal and committed and they are right to have their grievances. But the negative aspects attached to the Ultras' image are not part of the LA Riot Squad. Violent they're not. You can't get away with that sort of stuff in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Great the way he calls the fan down to confront him ... all while backing away knowing that security will be on him like a tonne of bricks when he jumps down from the stand.

He cant have expected them to greet him back with open arms!

What you don't see is the clip before hand with his hand out asking the supporter to shake it. Sky News had shown it.

Good post, Father Ted although I totally disagree that Ultras groups are all violent.

I didn't know about the Riot Squad before this, but I just thought they sounded like they had the hallmarks of Ultras - the vocal commitment, loyalty, tifos and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Becks joined Galaxy for ubbers of cash, realised he is a long time retired and it was a mistake, fair enough, must people told him that at the time.

That does not give the right to any scumbag to say horrible things about his family, even worse when they say it from the cowardly stance of being safe in a crowd.

People on here demonising Beckham but making light of the animals that abused him really need to take a step back and think before they post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Maybe he wouldn't start every game, but there's no denying that Beckham still has bundles to offer. His crossing is still absolutely lethal and his set-pieces are world class.

which is why I would have him back at United in a heartbeat....just as a squad player mind.

Advertisement