Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the craic!

• 21-07-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hey, I've got just a quick question,

If you want to say "the craic" as gaeilge, does it become,

an chraic

Or do you just leave it...
    is it even ok to say "an chraic"? (using the definite article). it sounds a little odd to me.

either way,
    is maith liom an chraic!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Yup, it's "an chraic".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Ya'll hear 'great craic' (an-chraic!) being said too.

'very/great' is expressed by 'an-' and it gets the hyphen between it and the noun) so the hyphen will show the 'an' doesn't mean 'the'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Cool, I guess that sorts that one out!
    Thanks guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Just to clear it up:

the craic = an craic Bhí an craic nocha The craic was ninety
    great craic = an-chraic Bhí sé an-chraic go deo It was great craic altogether

-jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ye it is masculine so no h with the definite article (an)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

ye it is masculine so no h with the definite article (an)

Why do you say it's masculine. Most if not all words in this form are feminine in Irish. An Foclóir Beag and Ó Dónaill has it feminine.

Despite many people thinking it's an old Irish term it's actually a loan word from English slang.

"An Chraic" déarfainn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Yeah, my dictionary said it was feminine as well, that's why I started this whole thread, because, until recently, I never saw "an chraic" before, so I was just making sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Yeah, my dictionary said it was feminine as well, that's why I started this whole thread, because, until recently, I never saw "an chraic" before, so I was just making sure :pac:

Just checked an foclóir beag... and sure enough it says feminine. I'm not sure now to be honest. My instinct is that it's masculine, though.

-jp

Muna thagraíonn ainmfhocal do shlí bheatha nó do cháilíocht, má chríochnaíonn sé ar chonsan caol bíonn sé baininscneach de ghnáth. De réir mar a thuigimsa ar aon nós.

Ach bíodh an c(h)raic firinscinneach nó baininscneach, 'sé an rud is tábhachtaí ná go mbaineann sibh sult agus taitneamh as/aisti. :)

Jay1989 wrote: »
    I never saw "an chraic" before, :pac:

de réir an Uasail Gúgail:

Torthaí 11 - 20 as timpeall 1,870 le haghaidh "an chraic".

Torthaí 1 - 10 as timpeall 4,720 le haghaidh "an craic".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ah i fell into the trap of seeing ''f'' written down, by meself aswel lol, and not reliasing I had wrote ''f'' and ''b''

so ye it is feminine - so technically it is still ''an chraic''

my bad

Advertisement