Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Prize 2009

Options
  • 21-07-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

La Roux, Kasabian and Florence and the Machine are among this year's Mercury Prize nominees.

Bat For Lashes, The Horrors, Glasvegas and Friendly Fires are also on this year's list, which is voted for by a panel of critics and music industry workers.

The winner, which will be announced on September 8, takes home a £20,000 prize.

The list of contenders features the usual eclectic mix of acts with eccentric Jazz quintet Led Bib, art-rockers The Invisible and folk act Sweet Billy Pilgrim among the more unusual nominations.

Florence and the Machine and Kasabian have been installed as the early bookmakers' favourites by William Hill, with Sweet Billy Pilgrim as the 10/1 outsiders.

Doves (Kingdom Of Rust) and Lily Allen (It's Not Me, It's You), who were hotly tipped to make the list, miss out.

Previous winners have included Arctic Monkeys, Dizzee Rascal, M People, Gomez and Franz Ferdinand. Manchester rock act Elbow took home the gong last year for their Seldom Seen Kid LP.

The full list of 2009 Mercury Prize nominations are:

Bat For Lashes: Two Suns

Friendly Fires: Friendly Fires

Florence and the Machine: Lungs

Glasvegas: Glasvegas

Lisa Hannigan: Sea Shew

The Horrors: Primary Colours

The Invisible: Invisible

Kasabian: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

La Roux: La Roux

Led Bib: Sensible Shoes

Speech Debelle: Speech Therapy

Sweet Billy Pilgrim: Twice Born Men

I hope Lisa Hannigan - Sea Shew wins - its great that she is shortlisted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

C'mon Bat For Lashes! :D

Although I'd be fairly happy too if Glasvegas won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Pretty underwhelming list. As much as I'd like Lisa Hannigan to have a Mercury Prize to rub in Damien Rice's smug face:p , I'd have to go for Bat for Lashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Aye,Bat for Lashes for me although theres a couple there I'd never listen to,so they'll probably win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

is Sea Shew available on I tunes yet. couldnt find it the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Not the most inspiring list - Friendly Fires would be my personal favourite. I find it hard to take the Mercury too seriously, there's been some fairly dodgy winners in the past. M People, anyone?

• Advertisement

Elbow i think were a good choice last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wonder had Florence and the Machine and La Rouxs albums come out a little bit longer ago would they be there. La roux's aint all it's cracked up to be, I think little boots' is better. Florence is probably justified. No Phantom Band though and a bit shocked the Doves didnt get in seeing as Kasabian did.
    other overlooked , Manics, SFA, Maccabees. Of that lot im going for Bat for Lashes. Im thankful White Lies didnt get nominated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

definitely an underwhelming list. the horrors would probably be my favourite. nice to see lisa hannigan get a nod. and little boot's album is ****, la roux's is actually alright, I'm delighted little boots didn't make the cut tbh :pac: I hope kasabian or glasvegas don't win it anyway. what is the point of this award anyway? they need to make up their mind. I thought it was for cutting edge music and then last year they were saying it's for representing underappreciated music :confused: I don't know what it's meant to be

definitely an underwhelming list. the horrors would probably be my favourite. nice to see lisa hannigan get a nod. and little boot's album is ****, la roux's is actually alright, I'm delighted little boots didn't make the cut tbh :pac: I hope kasabian or glasvegas don't win it anyway. what is the point of this award anyway? they need to make up their mind. I thought it was for cutting edge music and then last year they were saying it's for representing underappreciated music :confused: I don't know what it's meant to be
    Isn't it chosen by the critics for the best work of the year. who said it has to be cutting edge. Lisa Hannigan's music is good but hardly cutting edge. But A worthy winner i thought a few years ago was PJ Harvey's album "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea" which i think should be the standard bearer for all entries really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paul Flynn

Florence and the Machine is going to walk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Hey,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Paul Flynn wrote: »

Agree 100%.
    The amount of hype surrounding this band the last 6 months is enough to guarantee that
    Friendly fires outside favourite, just on the strength of the album..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sinbadthesailor

Anyone else think Glasvegas are one of the most over rated bands of the last few years? I remember laughing first time I saw them on a TV show they looked like a bad velvet underground tribute band. I've given their music a chance though- but it's really REALLY s**te.
    Also, they have a horrid cover version of "be my baby"- truly awful

Anyone else think Glasvegas are one of the most over rated bands of the last few years? I remember laughing first time I saw them on a TV show they looked like a bad velvet underground tribute band. I've given their music a chance though- but it's really REALLY s**te.
    Also, they have a horrid cover version of "be my baby"- truly awful
    Geraldine a good song to be fair. But not groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 enola/alone

Kasabian are fantastic. I know they're favourites, but their new album is fantastic. Seen them supporting Oasis, and I'm seeing them in Holland as well. Think they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Paul Flynn wrote: »

they frequently go for the outsiders in the final judging (not always, but often) and Florence is the favourite at the moment.

I'd definitely go the the Friendly Fires record out of that list, but nothing on there is world-beating (nor can I think of any other British\Irish albums from the last year that I'd describe as "world-beating")

Looking at that list again it really is a **** list. a bad year for british music eh? I want the horrors to win and I think they have a good chance.

Looking at that list again it really is a **** list. a bad year for british music eh? I want the horrors to win and I think they have a good chance.
    You mean British and Irish music dont you (Lisa Hannigan included in list)!

You mean British and Irish music dont you (Lisa Hannigan included in list)!

yeah but it goes without saying that it was a bad year for irish music :pac:

Ýes gone be the days when Something Happens and Stars In Heaven ruled. That said Damo a lej.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

yeah but it goes without saying that it was a bad year for irish music :pac:
    Eh.......
    Can't understand your statement, from my point of view it was excellent.
    New material from heaps of Irish bands.
    The aftermath, Super Extra Bonus Party ,Delorentos, Ash, Director, Codes ,U2, Fight Like Apes......... and may more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Go Florence. But that's solely based on her performance at Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cozziej

la roux?? terrible list...few good ones, but completely overshadowed by horrendous bands...Doves should have been listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Glasvegas is probably the best of an average lot (though that 'Stabbed' song drags it down sooooo much). Kasabian's album is woeful.

Doves not being listed is a disgrace.

squod wrote: »
    Eh.......
    Can't understand your statement, from my point of view it was excellent.
    New material from heaps of Irish bands.
    The aftermath, Super Extra Bonus Party ,Delorentos, Ash, Director, Codes ,U2, Fight Like Apes......... and may more
    Btw what are the Immediate doing at the moment. Ghost in this house was a great song but haven't heard anything of them since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

Btw what are the Immediate doing at the moment. Ghost in this house was a great song but haven't heard anything of them since.

They broke up in 2007. Frontman has a new band called Villagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd be happy if it went to Florence or Glasvegas to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hope Florence gets it, although I'd prefer if Doves won.

I can't believe they didn't get nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

phasers wrote: »
    I hope Florence gets it, although I'd prefer if Doves won.

I can't believe they didn't get nominated.

I think the fact that Elbow won last year definitely worked against Doves. Still they at least deserved a nomination ahead of the likes of Kasabian or Little Boots.

Probably would go for Bat For Lashes or Florence from the list, though still haven't heard the Friendly Fires album.

• Advertisement

yeah heard her for the first time today. Same one from the 02 ad is that right?

Advertisement