Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Prize 2009

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Same one from the 02 ad is that right?

Florence + the Machine? Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

cashback wrote: »
    Florence + the Machine? Yep.
    Yeah she has a great voice yer one. Reminds me of Nico a bit. I think when they look back on winners in few years time PJ Harvey's album will be up there with the best. Album stripped down the the bare minimum in terms of production which gave it a very authentic feel. A definite classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thought I'd bump this seen as the ceremony is tonight. It's been the year of Florence so for that reason alone I don't think she'll win. The panel don't often go for the most hyped act. Plus I think the album is pretty good but no classic.

I do think they'll try acknowledge that it's been a big year for female artists so I reckon La Roux is in with a big shout. Stuck a couple of quid on at 12/1.

Anyone care to make a prediction ahead of tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think it's between Glasvegas, Bats for Lashes and Florence And The Machine.

I hope Florence wins myself.. I loved the album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I like Florence, Glasvegas and Kasabian, and am recently getting into The Horrors and Friendly Fires.

But I still definitely want Bat for Lashes to win. I thought Fur and Gold was a bit overrated and had some filler, but Two Suns is spectacular. One of the few albums I'll listen to from start to finish, over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Anyone else think Glasvegas are one of the most over rated bands of the last few years? I remember laughing first time I saw them on a TV show they looked like a bad velvet underground tribute band. I've given their music a chance though- but it's really REALLY s**te.
    Also, they have a horrid cover version of "be my baby"- truly awful

Saw them support Muse last year and they were truly awful, never heard of them before but will not be willingly listening to them again! Also, their drummer was a joke :rolleyes: Really doesn't do that stereotype of female drummers any favours....! :o

Live on BBC2 now... I despise Lauren Laverne though!

Forgot how stunning Lisa Hannigan's voice is!

Congrats to Speech Debelle...

.. never heard her album unfortunately. But congrats all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Speech Debelle's album is great... but not better then Florence & The Machine.... robbed by commercial success?

Every year I manage to get more and more tired and cranky about the Mercury Music Prize...

• Advertisement

Yes saw highlights of the show. What was all that nonsense about Lisa Hannigan's album being too nice to win the prize. Those two music pundits were a bit annoying to be honest. Has anyone heard the album that won the prize. Does it stand the test of time on repeated listenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

London born rapper Speech Debelle, has won the 2009 Barclaycard Mercury Prize beating others like La Roux, Kasabian, Glasvegas and (bookies favourite) Florence + the Machine.

As well as her debut album "Speech Therapy" crowned 'Album of the Year', she also receives a cheque for £20,000. The Mercury Music Prize awards the best album from the UK and Ireland with 12 albums compete for one prize each year, and this is their 18th year.

well done but must admit never heard of her until now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Guy from Irish Times (his name eludes me), on Matt Cooper yesterday mentioned that the winner had sold 1,500 copies of her album before winning. An embarassing amount as he put it. The sort of number you get when friends and family and the record company purchase copies.

Sorta reminds me of David Brent's cover version of Simply Red's 'If You Don't Know Me'. Classic. (Gareth admits having 10 copies of his single in his garage, not gonna listen to them)

Since she has won sales rocketed to 3,000.

Guy from Irish Times (his name eludes me), on Matt Cooper yesterday mentioned that the winner had sold 1,500 copies of her album before winning. An embarassing amount as he put it. The sort of number you get when friends and family and the record company purchase copies.

Sorta reminds me of David Brent's cover version of Simply Red's 'If You Don't Know Me'. Classic. (Gareth admits having 10 copies of his single in his garage, not gonna listen to them)

Since she has won sales rocketed to 3,000.
    Well obviously it is not a mainstream record. Florence and the Machine which is a very big on production and had a song on 02 add to boost sale. Should we necessarily be judging music on sales
    Agree 3,000 it is a low sales figure but wouldn't hold that against artist.

Advertisement