Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show - time to go!!!

• 21-07-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭

Is it just me who's starting to think that Iano's show has started to go downhill big time and badly needs a shake up or just to be replaced? I thought the show was far better while he was on holidays. At least Floody was a bit of a change.

I do like Leagh's Fame slot. She's funny and it can be interesting. The rest of it is a lot of talking, the odd tune and rabbiting on about stuff that's int he Metro or Herald AM already (I know that doesnt' apply to those outside Dublin).

Gift Grub is gone to hell. Jokes Monday... aah please! Bad jokes read out by Mario using character voices doesn't automaticaly make them funny. The Fair City slot on a Wednsday is ****e! He does one new sketch per week now. Lazy git.

If Ian rabbits on about Portugal and Golf one more morning I'm switching to Colm & JimJim, that's how bad it's gotten :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I heard bits of it in the last 2 weeks and I thought it was Phil Cawley who presented it, not Floody.
    I have to admit that I did like Floody in the morning, I liked his choice of music.

I think the show needs a shake up, cos it has got complacent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

My bad Robo, you're right, it was Phil Cauley. I liked his presentation and he played a bit more music because he was sitting in. More of that. I ended up wishing Ian would stay in Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I can't stand Dempsey on the radio. He comes across as quite think IMO. It's like he can't do two things at once so he loses concentration and just lapses into verbal diahorrea. Also, stop saying hello to individual people in various parts of the country. No one cares that Michael in Waterford wants to say hello to Mary in Sligo!! :rolleyes:
    He is badly in need of a co-presenter. Someone funny preferably....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

IMHO he has is and always will be top dog for breakfast radio. All the others have come and gone but Iano is still there beating them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Has anyone else noticed that the Ian Dempsey show is filled to the brim with adverts. I don't mind the "It's 8'o clock, time for you to bla bla bla" stuff in front of the news or whatever but it's when he's plugging something during the middle of the show it's very annoying.

Things like "And now its time for the ____ Quiz, brought to you by starbucks. where you can get a cool, fresh cup of coffee each morning in starbucks, with outlets nationwide"

That kind of crap is ongoing for years throughout his show, or am I only one who notices it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Badabing wrote: »
    IMHO he has is and always will be top dog for breakfast radio. All the others have come and gone but Iano is still there beating them all.

I agree but the others are woeful...:rolleyes:
    I tell ya Phil Cawley is a contender for breakfast radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

I used to listen to his show.. but recently I've swapped over to newstalk.
    Thought that it was just me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

robo wrote: »
    I tell ya Phil Cawley is a contender for breakfast radio.

Many people found him a more than able replacement for Ian, but he's not my bag.

Tell ya what tho. He's a champion at on-air blagging. I heard him on various days during his fill in for Ian Dempsey telling people how great certain products were (in a personal, and non-sponsorship capacity), only to announce in the next day or so that "xxxx" ltd had very graciously provided him with said products free gratis.

For instance, early in the week, a certain racing venue was repeatedly mentioned favourably, and a lo and behold, it was announced a day later that Phil was very grateful for the free tickets that had arrived for him for said venue.

Perhaps riding his luck a little, he then proclaimed his desire to see a certain band at a certain festival, as he had Sunday night free; he mentioned by name a food product that is freely available in shops that he's partial to; and he wholeheartedly and unashamedly gave an on-air endorsement to a ferry company which he "regularly uses" after their current advertisement had already featured prominently in an ad break.

I know the pay isn't great, but surely the BCI would consider such brass-necked blagging to be a bit cheeky ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think in the mornings it's heads above anything else that's on at that time.

I would though ditch jokes on mondays though, it's crap and I must have heard that Ronaldo Penneys joke twice when Dempsey was doing it and again when replacement last week was doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I tuned out in the mornings last week. Just boring **** TBH. I can't tell the difference between Cawley and Flood. They are just 2 DJ's who will play Top 40's music, try to be entertaining and never venture outside of the norm that is Irish Radio.

Moyles is just streets ahead IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

[FONT=&quot]Considering the JNLR's are currently pretty strong for Dempsey’s show, i can’t imagine Ian going anywhere to soon.

With Today FM building Ray Foley’s profile on the afternoon slot, I’m guessing he and his team being a very strong option for the breakfast slot when it does become vacant![/FONT]

Ian is a great radio guy alright, there's no denying that. He certainly has the touch.

He does have a co-presenter, Mario. It's all getting a bit stale. The Daniel O'Donnell thing is getting very tired at this stage. Maybe if you watch Fair City, the Daniel's TV slot is great but it just sounds fairly tired tbh.

I do like Free For All Friday though. I wish they'd play more music. There's too much talk.

if Ray Foley is the man in waiting though, we could be begging Ian to come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I listen to dempsey on the way in to work most mornings and have to say it well past it's sell by date. Mario is out of ideas, the news team are hopeless and the show is just plodding along with the same stuff it has been for the past few years. When I get into work I listen to radio 1 chris moyles show, I have to say after you get used to the format (which I think a certain lunchtime todayfm dj tried to copy/emulate) its good fun and a clever show.
    I switch to Phantom from 10 till 1 (Michelle Doherty), some great alternative music. Its back to radio 1 for Edith Bowman from 1 till 4.
    I did spend 6 years listening to today FM up to last year, just couldnt take any more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Yep it's definately getting very stale. Gift grub hasn't been the same since Oliver Callan left. Think he was the real talent behind it. Mario just is not funny anymore. And Ian is starting to send more and more like Tony Fenton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

pity oliver callan is so ****e on his own as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

This country is really hopeless when it comes to national breakast radio which is odd given that its meant to be the flagship output from the station.

Personally I think Ray Foley would make a much better job of the morning time slot, Dempsey's show is just sounding very stale and sitting on its laurels at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I have to say, I found three weeks of Phil Cawley very tough... He strikes me as a 'provincial' radio host. As far as I know he lives near Arklow, and the amount of Wicklow / Arklow stories / events etc. he mentions on the radio is shocking! If there's a garage sale on in Arklow he'll broadcast it to the country. And he rides a bike, so there's a ton of announcements about any kind of bike event too. It just all seems to be about his area, his hobbies, which I think just doesn't work for a National Radio station.

I'm not a huge fan of Ian either, but I much prefer him to Phil!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i got bored of it years ago the sound of daniels voice makes me want to throw up. its red fm and a bit of 4fm for me in the mornings now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I can see them trying to edge Foley in eventually - he already thinks he's Chris Moyles as it is. He's even ripping off his jingles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Is Paul "bainisteoir" Collins still doing the sports news?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Is Paul "bainisteoir" Collins still doing the sports news?

He does it on the Ray Darcy show. Not sure about Dempsey as have stopped listening to him

jasonb wrote: »
    I have to say, I found three weeks of Phil Cawley very tough... He strikes me as a 'provincial' radio host. As far as I know he lives near Arklow, and the amount of Wicklow / Arklow stories / events etc. he mentions on the radio is shocking! If there's a garage sale on in Arklow he'll broadcast it to the country. And he rides a bike, so there's a ton of announcements about any kind of bike event too. It just all seems to be about his area, his hobbies, which I think just doesn't work for a National Radio station.

I'm not a huge fan of Ian either, but I much prefer him to Phil!

J.

In fairness, if you want hobbies, I wonder might Ian like golf at all? I'm sick of his goings on about Golf and Portugal and that resort company that's always trying to plug their developments over there. He's obviously gotten a good deal on something over there with them. He's like the Daddy of blagging and Phil Cawley is the aprentice if you ask me. Did anyone hear him chipping in this morning after Leagh mentioned that U2 will be playing in NY in October for the 25th. anniversary of the Rock'nRoll hall of fame? something like 'Oh that might be a nice mid-term break thing for us' or words to that affect! I really hope he was joking because I'm sure there are plenty of people in the country who would love a trip to NY and having this eejit swanning off over there for no better reason than to see U2 beggars belief! They've already blagged a trip to the UAE a few months ago which was a week-long advertisment for the UAE tourist board. Gimme a break!

Yes, Paul 'How're you gettin' on Horse' Collins is still doing the sport. I do like him. He's a twat but a funny twat so you have to give him some credit.

As for the Daniel impressions, I agree. Christ change the record Mario! You do't even hear much of the real D O'D these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I think Ray Foley will be the next Breakfast show presenter. He already has a successful show that's like a breakfast show in the afternoon.

He's made no secret of wanting the gig.

He's in with a real shot I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bonobox

Fago_25 wrote: »
    I think Ray Foley will be the next Breakfast show presenter. He already has a successful show that's like a breakfast show in the afternoon.

He's made no secret of wanting the gig.

He's in with a real shot I think.

Oh God!!! 'It's just a pile of CRAP for your morning!' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Badabing wrote: »

I honestly think that they are all **** including Ian Dempsey. The ipod will do me for the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

no way ian is still the best show in the mornings. but ya as a lot of people said mario is getting tiresome. no real new sketches in how long. give daniel a rest FFS. my favourite is the robbie keane ones. they should ditch paul collins though, just read the sport and stop trying to be funny..your soo not!

and as for phil cawley...ohh pleaaaasssse. worst radio dj ever. sounds like an arrogant bore to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

If Iano says "No problem" one more time....!

I agree its time for a radical change and what Willie O Reilly should look at the Red roster and poach KC and Lenny from Red FM, they run the award winning Red Rooster, just like John Clarke did when he poached Colm and JimJim from FM104.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I have listened to it in ages, Dempsey always did my head in. He can never get to the point and always sounds like he's winging it. I think its time that Rosenstock finally put down horse thats hes flogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

Did anyone hear Iano playing "I will survive" for Gerry Ryans ex the other morning, quite bizzare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Heard him interview Adam Sandler this morning, thought Iano did a poor job asking sillly questions in between his silly inappropriate giggles, luckily Sandler cottoned on to the type of interviewer he was dealing with and turned it to his advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Gift Grub has to be the "UNfunniest" thing ever. Cant stand it.

Same goes for that idiot oliver Callan on 2fm -- his sketch show is also horrible.

Done to death.

Advertisement