Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games would you like to see as an anime?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Theres often manga and anime based on games, and sometimes the reverse such as Devil May Cry.

What games would you like to see made into an anime, and do you think it would translate well?

Personally I think a decent Zelda or Metal Gear Solid would be cool, and on the opposite end I'd love a decent UC Gundam game more akin to Mech Warrior or Armoured Core.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Zelda, definitely, with a sufficiently dark storyline it could be great. They might have to get a few words out of link though.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Final Fantasy would be great, for those of us who can't be arsed to play the game, but still want to know what happened!

That aside, err

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Metroid :D

seriously though, Metroid. It would make a pretty good Anime.

EDIT: Oh Bioshock would be good also

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gearoidof wrote: »
    Final Fantasy would be great, for those of us who can't be arsed to play the game, but still want to know what happened!

That aside, err

there is the movie, i got a dvd with mine that had ingame video of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Based on the comics and the special edition of SFIV. I'd love to see a decent Street Fighter series. Rival Schools would also make a decent setting for an anime, think Cromartie Highschool meets the spirit of Naruto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

That aside, err

WHile the games would be nice to see in anime form, there is this.

Also I'd like to see Fallout but only if it was done well.

I know about the movies they made, but they're either not movies of the game, or post game movies.

I'd like to see an actual movie for FF7, condense the story, not a sequel...

I remember that movie with minogue of SF, was atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Final Fantasy VII: Last Order is a very good OVA set before the game.

The main protagonist is Zack; it's interesting to see a prequel to VII and one from that point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I wouldn't want to see any major games series animated. Good games are about so much more than story, and film can't do them justice. You could never capture the experience of Metroid in an OAV.

Original works are always better. Games can't be replicated in other art forms. Books and manga are butchered for adaptation. And most importantly, original works of anime are often great. See: Bounen No Xam'd, NGE, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Mobile Suit Gundam, etc.

eh, call me a poohead, but the anime your listed there....

NGE, let's not go there,
    TTGL has no plot (or, if we count this as a plot, we're opening the floodgates)

Now, manga adaptations:
    Ghost in the Shell specifically comes to mind of an anime which outshines the manga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

eh, call me a poohead, but the anime your listed there....

NGE, let's not go there,
    TTGL has no plot (or, if we count this as a plot, we're opening the floodgates)

Now, manga adaptations:
    Ghost in the Shell specifically comes to mind of an anime which outshines the manga

Personally, I hate NGE, but it is very highly regarded.

Your statement regarding TTGL is unqualified. It has a great plot, and irrespective, is a fantastic animation.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC is one of my favourite shows. But let's be honest, that's one good adaptation in a sea of how many inferior ones?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

greyed wrote: »
    Zelda, definitely, with a sufficiently dark storyline it could be great. They might have to get a few words out of link though.

I take it we're ignoring this, then? ;)

Personally I agree with Cy_Revenant - a lot of games are about an experience that doesn't easily translate to a non-interactive narrative. I've loved many of the Metroid games, but I don't see them making a good film because it's the exploration that makes them fun and a film (or even a series) based on someone exploring a planet, occasionally fighting a big boss and getting weapon upgrades, then eventually leaving the planet after completing a mission isn't going to be very entertaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

^ yeah, just saw that today on ANN.

Mamoru Oshii who directed the origional Ghost in the Shell is doing one of the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

On the subject of...

Great news indeed. *raises glass of happyness and toasts the horizon*
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cats12

Hmm. Anime is a japanese thing, I've seen secondary characters as african-americans, never the main character (except afrosamurai), maybe the japanese would have trouble identifying with it. Anyway, Black Lagoon anime has a good supporting character (coolest if you ask me).

Advertisement