Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing myself

• 21-07-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So 7 weeks from now, I'll be in Kyoto on day 1 of my Japan trip (actually officially day 2, day 1 will be spent on a plane). I was just wondering how to introduce myself. Both my first name and my last name has a L in them, and various other convoluted consonant/vowel combinations.

I've managed to work out how to spell my name in katakana and pronounce it, but would it be better just to introduce myself in English? Would pronouncing my name this way be just annoying to the Japanese, on a par with going to France and saying, "oh I've just spent a week in Pareeeee."?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Your name is inevitably going to get mangled regardless, so just say it how you usually do, and let people figure out their own pronunciation of it.

And just use your first name, it's going to be hard enough for Japanese people to pronounce and remember this without your second name as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

FruitLover wrote: »
    And just use your first name, it's going to be hard enough for Japanese people to pronounce and remember this without your second name as well.

That's what I thought, but thought giving them my rough translation of it might aid them somewhat. I think I'll follow your advice and just go with the english pronunciation and live with whatever they come up with :)

(Maybe I should pretend my name is Akira...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I usually changed Claire to Ku-re-a クレアor Ku-ri-a クリアwhen introducing myself.
    It's a particularly hard name for Japanese to pronounce though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Here's what I would suggest, if you need to tell someone your name. When you say your name for the first time, say it as you would normally say it. Then sound it out very clearly as it would be written in kana, then say it normally again. This is because the hearer won't catch it properly when you say it the first time, especially if it is unfamiliar or has difficult sounds.

So, let's say for example your name was Liam. You would say:
    [Watashi wa] Liam [to moshimasu]. RI - A - MU. Liam.

Advertisement