Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Serious thread] Intel announces another 300 more redundancies...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wont be applying to Intel now so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Knowledge economy < high costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I know a guy working out in the older part of the plant (IFO) and he said they are trying to get people out of that part of the plant and get them to either take redundancy of else to take jobs in the Fab24 part of the plant...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is anyone remotely supprised by this?....Anyone except that buffoon Jack O'Connor that is.

Wages need to be slashed fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Intel Outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Anyone know how they are going to work out who will be kept on and who will be let go??? I heard that they are winding down the IFO part of the plant as its old technology at this stage, but there are a lot moe than 300 people working there, so the fear is that there will be more let go down the road...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

*cough*

a, if this really happened they would be Irish chips!

b, this is AH ;)

c, people whould understand sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Intel Outside.
    Funny was made.

I was passing by there earlier. Was wondering why RTÉ were camped outside.
    I owe my friend a fiver.
    Damn optimism made me bet that they were creating jobs.

Strange, the Intel chips in the boards server must be protesting...
    A few posts have vanished!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yes. A joke was made and almost 300 more people are out of work.
    Laugh it up.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Laugh it up.
    Fair enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

That's just the people who they are making redundant. This is not taking in to account the number of roles that weren't filled after other employees have left.

This is the game that these corporations like to play with their numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Terry wrote: »
    Laugh it up.

>_>

<_<

This is AH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

One of the problems is that this doesn't just affect people employed directly. Lots of Irish companies depend on Intel to keep them going. DHL is one example. But there's another issue. Intel is huge. Other big multinationals in Ireland will be watching them very closely, and if they twitch, the others will twitch too. We'll probably see the ripple effect begin shortly. Then again it's already started - look at Pfizer and Dell.

Confab wrote: »
    One of the problems is that this doesn't just affect people employed directly. Lots of Irish companies depend on Intel to keep them going. DHL is one example. But there's another issue. Intel is huge. Other big multinationals in Ireland will be watching them very closely, and if they twitch, the others will twitch too. We'll probably see the ripple effect begin shortly. Then again it's already started - look at Pfizer and Dell.

There's another one in Leixlip that looks a bit shaky as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Confab wrote: »

That is the worry :(

Unless we reduce our cost base though I think we will see more of this, can hardly blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Pfizer are safe enough, they have a huge foothold in Ireland and won't be going anywhere soon. They will probably make more redundancies but nothing on the scale of Dell. Their major problem was that they had a narrow product portfolio for products still under patent. This has been rectified by the purchase of Wyeth who have one of the largest biotech plants in the world located in Dublin. Since the merger Pfizer have announced a few investments in Ireland.

They'd have great confidence in the Irish manufacturing: Lipitor, which earned the company tens of billions and was the best selling drug for a few years, was produced mainly in Ireland. Also we are close to mainland Europe, members of the EU, on great terms with the FDA etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't think we can be complacent when it comes to any company here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If I remember correctly Intel are one of the top 5 (or was it 10?) companies that make up over 25% of the GNP, quite serious.
    IFO has been on the wind down for years as the flash products made there were only breaking even, it wasn't worth the risk. One of my neighbours was transfered to IR6 recently (the newer section).
    I woudn't like to be working in any tech area at the moment, it won't be asy getting another job if you're let go.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    That is the worry :(

Unless we reduce our cost base though I think we will see more of this, can hardly blame them.
    Yes, The cost base needs to be reduced, but is's impossible to compete with eastern European countries on costs alone.

We do need to reduce costs significantly enough to make it not worthwhile relocating.

Dell are finding out to their cost, that the disruption of the move has been very damaging to their business, for example delivery times have increased from one week to about five weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpauls

Is anyone remotely supprised by this?....Anyone except that buffoon Jack O'Connor that is.

Wages need to be slashed fast.

What does this the potser of this nonsense know?

1: Intel is not unionised so Jack O'Connor would not be involved.
    2: Wages at Intel are far below those of Public Sector and many Private Sector.
    3: Wage freeze has been in effect for a while at Intel anyway.
    4: Wage costs are not the issue for the closure its more to do with obselete technology and plant.
    5: The poster must be an ex PD. i.e. Slash wages is the answer to everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

What the hell is going on in Ireland? ffs... where does it bloody end..

DamoDLK wrote: »
    When the banksters decide so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

When the banksters decide so!

Yes all our mocking of the banking system has angered the economy and now we feel her wrath.

DamoDLK wrote: »

You're dealing with outsourced positions that were brought here because of the cheaper costs. These were jobs that started out elsewhere. This is the natural progression.

Eventually,all of these jobs will end up in the largest English speaking country in the world .....China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Dell are finding out to their cost, that the disruption of the move has been very damaging to their business, for example delivery times have increased from one week to about five weeks!

Would that not just be in the short term though?

I would have thought they would have factored in any disruption before making the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

To be fair, 200mm wafers are going the way of the Dodo, so this is as much a technology trend past obsolescence as it is a recession thing.

The 300mm fab is still AOK, I believe.

Advertisement