Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU listening events.

Options
  • 21-07-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Picked this up on twitter. http://twitter.com/talktoeu

Haven't heard anything apart from a link to a facebook page with the details.

First event one is Dun Laoghaire next monday. Not sure how they are going about getting people to turn up since I've heard nothing about.

Anybody know who is behind these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Any idea who's running it? Is it actually being hosted by representatives of the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HP44

Any idea who's running it? Is it actually being hosted by representatives of the EU?

Two more have been announced for the following tuesday and wednesday, in Fermoy, and Longford. Looks like a similar spiel to the one mentioned above, with someone from the Commission. Looks like "TalktoEU" are running the the events. All they is have is a facebook ( http://tinyurl.com/nrukwl ) and twitter page though, so it's hard to find out anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Anybody going to these events?
    http://url.ie/246w

I'm heading along to the Dun Laoghaire event. Doesn't appear to be a pro or anti Lisbon debate, just an EU Q&A. Could be refreshing.

Will post details afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I am undecided, depends how much effort I am willing to waste getting out to dun laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

This seems very unclear.

Who exactly is running this? Who is attending? etc etc.

One of the links required me to enter my facebook login to see the content. Fortunately I have a facebook login.

I don't want to be too critical, but I would like to know more. For all that Facebook is telling me, it could be run by some dedicated amateurs. I don't think it is, but it seems to be going a little bit too far in being unofficial.

ix.

• Advertisement

The European Commission are the ones behind the events as far as I know. They'll behind the ones taking and answering the questions anyway. The talktoeu campaign are the hosts, which seems to be EU funded.

Dragged myself out to Dun Laoghaire for this last night. Was definitely worth the effort, and the whole town hall, and open mike style of the event went down very well, and everyone got a say, from all sides of the spectrum.

Turn out was ok-ish

A lot of Lisbon questions came up, although the event was more about what the EU does, and the its positive impact on Ireland, on the whole. Can't say I didn't expect it though, given the times, and since a few people representing anti-lisbon groups showed up.

The questions were answered pretty well by the folks representing the EU Commission, and usually made sense. Some of the skeptics had some strong arguments and good points, which made the debate intense at times, which added to the event.

They said there will be about 40-50 more of these events across the country. Worth a look. They are still only up on facebook for the moment, as far as I can tell, but they mentioned a website launch fairly soon.

Advertisement