Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather Forecast

• 21-07-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hello,

What websites/sources are good for weather forecasts (particularly wind speed and direction)? I'm thinking of going out dinghy sailing on Friday.

I know there are dozens of half decent weather sites that give you a 5 day forecast but they mostly seem to focus on sun, rain, cloud and temperature. BBC give wind speed but no direction.

I have looked at met.ie but can't really find much on it. I've always found that site to have everything except what I'm looking for! A good pictorial map of Ireland like the one on the TV weather forecast, where you can change the day/time would be nice. Their main forecast is just a few lines of text for today, tonight, tomorrow and 'outlook' for the following few days which is usually fairly vague!

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Hello,

What websites/sources are good for weather forecasts (particularly wind speed and direction)? I'm thinking of going out dinghy sailing on Friday.

I know there are dozens of half decent weather sites that give you a 5 day forecast but they mostly seem to focus on sun, rain, cloud and temperature. BBC give wind speed but no direction.

I have looked at met.ie but can't really find much on it. I've always found that site to have everything except what I'm looking for! A good pictorial map of Ireland like the one on the TV weather forecast, where you can change the day/time would be nice. Their main forecast is just a few lines of text for today, tonight, tomorrow and 'outlook' for the following few days which is usually fairly vague!

Thanks,
    Brian

Hi, I use accuweather.com. I usually just google accuweather and the place that I want to know the weather. It gives a 15day weather forecast and sailing and mountaineering forecasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Check out www.windguru.cz and select Ireland and your area. Also, check out www.ugrib.com and download the software. You can then get grib weather files for specific areas to download to your PC. It's very accurate an free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 murphyme

I use accuweather as well

If you're sailing in/around Dun Laoghaire they have a weather station which is on the the web on their web site.

Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Donie75 wrote: »
    Check out www.windguru.cz and select Ireland and your area. Also, check out www.ugrib.com and download the software. You can then get grib weather files for specific areas to download to your PC. It's very accurate an free.

They're both good sites. There's also magic seaweed, which is similar to wind guru.
    Don't dismiss Met Eireann's site though - their marine forecast is usually pretty spot on.
    It's always best to check a couple of different forecasts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two more to add to the list

http://www.passageweather.com/

Metvuw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks very much. Some fairly useful looking sites there. Just what I was looking for! I'll download GRIB later and give it a try too.

Pity, looks like there's very little wind due on Friday afternoon :(
    Ah well, probably best for a beginner like me!

Another question (or two) about the tides...

I'm thinking of going out around Howth harbour on Friday afternoon. I've checked a few sources for tides and High Water is at about 13:00. I will be launching at about 14:00 so the tide will be receding for the duration of my outing.

Anybody here have any information on the local effects of the tide around Howth? I've heard a the tidal current travels parallel to the coast in the channel between the harbour and Ireland's Eye. If so, what direction will it be travelling on Friday afternoon as the tide goes out? I'm guessing towards the South East and around the corner towards Dublin Bay.

Also, if I'm out in my dinghy and the wind is very light, is there a serious danger of getting dragged along by the tide at a greater speed than the wind is able to push the boat?

Finally, how does the strength of the current change over time from hight tide to low tide (or is it fairly consistent)?

Thanks,
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

www.met.ie and go on to the sea area forecast. The tide is an important factor, as it ebbs and fills in Howth it does different things in different areas. The narrower the strait, the stronger the tidal flow. Tidal stream information is available on local charts, its stongest in mid flow and obviously does nothing at slack tide. Spring tides are incredibly strong, neap tides the weakest. Safest not to venture too far, check the weather and make sure there is enough wind, but not too much. Invest in a vhf and bring some paddles.

Thanks lightening. Paddles will definitely be on board! I had a look at Howth Yacht Club's website and found this page which gives very detailed local tide stream information.. Probably too much for somebody at my level but the diagrams are fairly easy to follow.

Has anybody ever gotten stuck in a situation where the tide drags you away at a speed greater than you can sail at in light winds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Has anybody ever gotten stuck in a situation where the tide drags you away at a speed greater than you can sail at in light winds?

Yes. Often. That's when the engine goes on.

I don't know the area, and only scanned through the website, but perhaps if you could head North at 1400 the tide might still be slack, and return south with the ebb when you're returning to Howth. A local will be able to guide you better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations?Loc=FR

Hover your mouse over the arrows for details. Good for looking a few days ahead and has been pretty reliable over the years. There seems to be plenty of wind on friday afternoon for a beginner!

On getting sucked out by the tide, yes it's happened to me, and yes it'll take you away faster than a light wind will sail you back. It will probably take you away faster than you can paddle too.

Make sure somebody knows you're out, and when you expect to be back. Make sure you know the correct methods for calling for help. Keep aware of your surroundings and don't get too wrapped up in what's happening inside the boat. Better still, sail in company.

If you're properly prepared none of this need be a problem, so enjoy yourself.

Cheeble-eers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I've checked a few sources for tides and High Water is at about 13:00. I will be launching at about 14:00 so the tide will be receding for the duration of my outing.

High water is 14:07, according to the Howth YC site.
    Anybody here have any information on the local effects of the tide around Howth? I've heard a the tidal current travels parallel to the coast in the channel between the harbour and Ireland's Eye. If so, what direction will it be travelling on Friday afternoon as the tide goes out? I'm guessing towards the South East and around the corner towards Dublin Bay.

Based on my limited experience of the area .. there is a strong tidal flow running East/West & vice-versa. The estuary, beside Portmarnock GC, contributes to this flow rendering the beach at Burrow Road notoriously risky for swimmers. Beyond the neck of the estuary, it lessens in strength and flows, in general, either side of Ireland's Eye.

While one would expect the tidal flow to change some time around the advised time, more experienced sailors would say that the surface flow would have changed some time before that time, e.g. at 14:07, the surface flow would be West to East (tide falling). The orientation of the moored boats in the harbour should indicate for you the flow at the time of launching. I assume you're launching off the public slipway ?

Thanks again everyone for the very useful advice. That xcweather website is excellent!

Yes, I'll be launching from the public slipway and I'll keep an eye on the moored boats for signs of the flow (good tip that!). I intend to exit the harbour fairly cautiously and I'll be ready to retreat at the first sign of difficulty.

I've had the dinghy out twice so far and got on fairly well with it (in Dun Laoghaire and Blessington Lake). I've also been out in Howth and Malahide crewing on bigger boats a few times recently so I have a reasonable knowledge of the area. I'll be telling my Dad what time we are going out, where we are going and what time we are expecting to come back.

Cheers,
    Brian

Yeah, dropped a small grapnel once, was racing the other times and got towed after the race was abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

There is also www.windfinder.com. Quite detailed. Do people find it accurate ?
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Wait till saturday, there will be more wind and there will be match racing on..... good to watch better to sail in :p

Thanks for the tip but I've already booked the day off work and I'm getting married on Monday so I'll probably be busy for the weekend :D

I can always bring a hair dryer just in case it's not windy enough! :p

Good man! Congrats and best of luck dude!

Advertisement