Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband on Ubuntu Linux

Options
  • 21-07-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if Eircom Broadband works with Linux operating systems? I've recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a desktop pc and I want to have wireless internet access, the same as my laptop which is running Windows XP. I have the eircom installation disk which I put into the DVD drive of the desktop but I'm not sure if/how you can install it from there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ISP's are not operating system Dependant.

so yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Best to move this to the Unix forum. But anyway - yes it does work. I've a variant of Ubuntu on my laptop (wireless) and desktop (wired) and it works fine. Are you getting a wireless signal at all? If not is the wireless driver installed - it should be but post the model of the card anyway in case it's a non-standard driver you need.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose the first thing to check is whether your wireless card is detected. If you click on the icon on the top right of the screen (that looks like a computer monitor) does it show you any wireless networks, or just a wired connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ubuntu, Centos, Windows for WorkGroups, even DOS

ANYTHING that works ethernet TCP/IP or has TCP/IP for a WiFi airpoint on a Router will work.

Only Expresscard/PCMCIA/USB modems for weird not-quite-broadband are problematic.

All real Broadband works with any Linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have the eircom installation disk which I put into the DVD drive of the desktop but I'm not sure if/how you can install it from there.

Throw that in the bin. Those CDs are a waste of time, and only make people think they need it to get broadband.

You're looking to access it wirelessly, so all you need is a wireless network adapter that is supported by Ubuntu. After that, simply connect to your wireless router. Same with XP or Vista computers, just connect to the router either through the Wireless interface, or a wired Ethernet interface. You'll never need that eircom CD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TGE

I'm having an Eircom related problem too. I'm a Ubuntu newbie, which probably doesn't help my cause.

It's related to the one thing the CD is useful for: the WEP key. If there's another way of obtaining it, please let me know.

wcid displays my wireless connection. The one which works problem-free in Windows 7. I've typed in the key I had written down in the advanced setting section, but it never gets accepted. Does it get affected by whether you select WEP 1/2 (Passphrase) etc.? I've tried selecting all of the WEP options and still nothing happens.

Basically, my problem is that I have typed in the correct WEP and have verified its accuracy, but the authentication process runs on and on and then just gives up. I have tried it over 20 times.

As I've said, I'm a Ubuntu newbie and am way out of my depth with this stuff, but I'd hope for at least my wireless connection to work.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use your web browser via ethernet cable to set up the router.

change to WPA + AES and long random passphrase > 20 characters.

This is the correct & normal procedure for all OS and Routers. Never ever use the vendor supplied keys etc.

Also write down and change the default router password or a drive by web page can use the default via cross site script to change the DNS on the router to a malicious one for Man in the middle attacks. Ubuntu is no protection. Strong non-deafult passwords are.

Advertisement