Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak veneered doors - Solid wood core Vs Particle Core (Chipboard) - opinions ?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking at buying doors for my house that I'm currently building.

We're looking at oak doors and there are 2 main types (apart from actual real solid oak doors which are super expensive):
    Oak Veneer over a solid wood core
    Oak Veneer over a "particle core" core

As far as I know particle core is essentially like chipboard (maybe more dense), so I'm wondering which door would be the best to go for.
    It's hard to get impartial advice from a retailer as they usually only sell one kind or the other, and of course they say their kind of door is the best....

Has anybody any opinion on the 2 options ?

Would you recommend one type of the other ?

Thanks !!

BTW :
    The Particle Core doors are from doorsireland : http://www.doorsireland.ie
    The Solid core doors are from seadec : http://www.seadec.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the cheapest. because they are cheaper. And thats the best reason .

If the veneer is thick then no one will be able to tell the difference. Tends to chip if cut by a butcher .

I have found in the past that solid hardwood doors tent to shrink by as much a 4 mm in the first year of fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Solid hardwood is not an option these days unless you pay big bucks - I've been quoted €800 per door for solid oak doors.

The standard door, it seems, it the "engineered" oak which is what I'm talking about here - at approx €100 per door.

Hardwood isn't an option when you're talking about 20 doors....

I guess what you're saying is that they are much of a muchness really.
    If they are more or less the same price we might as well go for the one that looks the best if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

seadec have very nice doors. the veneer is about 16mm on the side.
    get your sizes as close as possible to what will be needed or if you can pack your frames to suit the nearest door size

80x32 inches
    78x30
    78x28
    78x26

the door is a wood core and has a good weight so feels very good.

engineered doors will not warp as can sometimes happen with true solid doors.

the regards the red deal you are looking about 3 times more expensive and will take an age to make as red deal mills are closed for summer at the minute.

there is only 1 or 2 real red door manufacturers. the rest import from china

One of the guys in work reckons that the "particle core" type engineered door is more flame resistant than the wood core engineered door.
    Any truth in this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

deadl0ck wrote: »
    One of the guys in work reckons that the "particle core" type engineered door is more flame resistant than the wood core engineered door.
    Any truth in this ?

id agree with that ,and would say they are less likely to warp too.
    id go with the cheapest,maybe go with prehung if you can/still havent fitted the frames.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Any truth in this ?

that is 100% true.

that is 100% true.

Jebus - really ?

That's a pretty good selling point to be honest.

Would they be much more fire resistant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

you will get 1/2and 1 hour fire rated doors as standard, these will come witn certs so if looking for them dont presume ust cause of the makup i.e. particle or otherwise that they are automatically fire rated.

also, if you are chasing fire ratings dont forget the intumesant strips and the rebated frames. they dont add alot to the overall cost and are often overlooked in residential homes, but are a nice piece of mind to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubcookie

hiya, i just asked my other half (he's a carpenter) and he says if you can stretch to it, go for the solid wood, as the chipboard tends to loosen up over time and isnt as good for attaching hinges and fixings. hope that helps!

Thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

dubcookie wrote: »
    hiya, i just asked my other half (he's a carpenter) and he says if you can stretch to it, go for the solid wood, as the chipboard tends to loosen up over time and isnt as good for attaching hinges and fixings. hope that helps!

just want to say the doors would have solid slips on the sides so hinges wouldnt be fitted to the chipboard,im a carpenter , and never had problems with these type doors.
    i think go with the door that the design /price suits best

Advertisement