Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with fish tank

Options
  • 21-07-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

HI, I recently bought a 200 ltr tank. I noticed my fish have ick so I turned the temp. Up to 30• up from 24. I then went to the pet shop got meth. blue and performed a 20% water change. Can anyone give me any more advice and also can you recommend a good cheap external filter. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I'm more familiar with cold water fish, but I don't think it's a good idea to turn up the temperature, as this reduces the dissolved oxygen and might stress the fish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Oh yeah sorry, you probably know this, but raising the temperature has the benefit of speeding up the life cycle of the parasite, so it gets to the larval free-swimming stage faster (the treatment kills them when they're at this stage). You just need to make sure the tank is really well-aerated while the water temperature is higher. The tank should be treated once or twice a day, for a few days (not sure how long exactly). Also, it's important to disinfect any nets, brushes etc used in the tank.

Hope you're fish get well and white-spot free soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

THanks very much for the quick reply. Yeah I was worried about the among of air in the tank so I've turned up the pump. Does any know about the salt treatment I have warm water fish mainly mollies, tetra, dano's, red tail shark and fighter fish. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,52/
    have a web page, very helpfull
    hope the mods don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Did you cycle the tank? If so for how long? Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is?

What are your water readings for Nitrate/nitrite/ammonia? Do you have a test kit?

What maintenance are you doing? water changes? Are you dechlorinating the water?

How many fish did you add? How soon after setting it up? What fish are they?

What filter have you got at the moment?

You should get onto the Irishfishkeepers site or irishfishforum.com for some advice.

Whitespot/Ich has no doubt been brought on by poor tank conditions, most likely "new tank syndrome". I reckon your filter isn't mature enough to handle the bioload.

• Advertisement
Advertisement