Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving tips.

Options
  • 21-07-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

So lads.. One thing every guy as to face... Shaving!

Hate it or love it, mostly hate I'd say, but any of ye got some good shaving advice or some golden tips for getting the perfect shave?

And how to avoid shaving rash... Always seems to get me!

Sudzy's numero uno tip: Shave while in the shower/bath. Can't really explain why, but I manage to get the best shave if I do it in the shower, maybe it's all the steam or that the face is exposed to warm water for longer. A small mirror for in the shower is the first thing I bought when I moved into my new house for college. :cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

www.badgerandblade.com loads of stuff in there.

Have you consider using a safety razor? I got one for Christmas and haven't looked back since. It gives a much closer and longer lasting shave and with a bit of practise, very little nick.

You need a decent brush and you need to work up a good lather before applying. Trick is to get the hairs to "lift" up.

As for avoiding shaving rash, I use a shaving soap that has aloe vera in it which helps sooth the skin. I also use a non-alcohol aftershave moisturiser to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm going to write down everything I've learned in my 20 years of shaving.

First, I've found it's better to shave in the evening than the morning, unless you can shave after a shower (I couldn't be bothered). I shave on Wednesday and Sunday.

First trick is to get the hairs on your face as wet as possible. I wash my face with as hot water as I can stand using whatever scrub is there - don't use the stuff with the little bits in - they'll screw up your razor. Then rinse six or seven times.

NExt, oil up. I use one spray of shaving oil, spray it into my palms and then work it into my face - chin and 'tash first, then cheeks and neck. Try to scruff up the hair (go against the grain) as much as possible, and work the oil in. Next, shaving cream. A couple of squirts into my shaving brush (really really good thing to get, btw) and use the brush to work up a lather, again going against the grain to scuff up the hairs.

NExt, the shave. Pull the skin tight and shave in short strokes. I always shave against the grain, they say that's worst but it doesn't irritate my skin. Anyway, short strokes and make sure you rinse your razor after every at least 3 strokes.

I start with my neck, then cheeks and finally chin and 'tache. Finally, splash your face a couple of times with cold water to close up the pores and use balm or cream. That's important because it makes the shaved hair softer, so it tends not to irritate the skin when it's coming through.

Good topic! would love to hear if anyone has any tips, given we spend a fair amount of time doing it! (except me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

use a new razor - and keep getting new razors - i only get razor rash if the blade is blunt (indeed starting to get this means I need a new one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I use the bic disposable razors and find them so much better than any of those fancy mach ones! Much smoother shave imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gillette triple blade sensor is my weapon of choice....don't like the fusion that much > feels too heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

GREAT THREAD.

As a Baldy I'm always looking for the perfect shave and have resigned myself to the fact that every shave is different.
    Some days its a lovely experience, some days rough? and it doesnt matter about razor types, though newness helps I find. but who can afford new Mach 3's everyday.

What I've noticed is, to get a nice comfortable shave I wet my head and face with hot water "in the shower always". Apply soap, prefarably Oilatum soap 3.11euro in McCabes pharmacy in the Blanch Centre.
    I use this soap as I have Ecxema and find it helps keep it at bay.
    Then I wash it off, it comes off about 5-10 times faster than shower gel or shampoo and I use it all over, great for a quick shower.
    then I apply the shaving gel and then shave it off. Against the grain on my head and with the grain on my face as its sensative and I find if I go against the grain on my face my Excema flares up.
    I use a Mach 3 razor with the same blade I've been using for about a month and it still gives a smooth shave, but obviously you'd get a much better shave with new blades.

WASH YOUR BEARD WITH SOAP OR SHAMPOO BEFORE SHAVING FOR AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE.

Again. Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Am I the only insane one around here who dry shaves? Like...just completely dry shaves? No water, soap, foam, anything, just me and my razor(fusion)... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Am I the only insane one around here who dry shaves? Like...just completely dry shaves? No water, soap, foam, anything, just me and my razor(fusion)... :D
    Probably ... but then you have nothing but bumfluff as yet! :p

It won't be such a good idea after a while, I promise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

your either harder than Chuck Norris or completely bonkers dude. If I tried that with my hedge-thick growth you'd hearme screaming in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

The last time I dry shaved was when I found my Dads old Bic when I was 7 and cut the face off myself, blood everywhere. I think all little fellas have done this at some point. My eldest son is 7 now and Im just waiting for that scream.

DAAAADDEEEEEE!!!!.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Well I just had a brilliant shave! tbh, followed your method quite closely and man does my face feel gooood, thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd really... not... do this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Another tip I've heard or read once, is to shave second thing in the morning, after you've eaten. The chewing activity, talking and little bit of extra time tightens up the facial muscles and makes it easier for the blade to do it's work. That might help?

Products - I swear by King of Shaves gel, you can see what you're at and it's good for sensitive skin. Try moisturising (plenty of non-scented and manly scented ones available) afterwards. KoS do good stuff moisturiser, which also has Sun protection factor apparently...Still using Mach3, though I've been tempted by some of the other razors mentioned on boards. Whatever razor you use, rinse regularly whilst shaving, and change the blades regularly.

Advertisement