Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plassey village

Options
  • 21-07-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Im hoping to go to UL in september and ive applied for accomodation in plassey as its meant to be dominated by 1st years but ive heard its a bit run down? can anybody tell me what its like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

ya its a bit run down, especially compared to some of the other on campus accomodations however i thoroughly recommend stayin there for first year. Its a great way to meet people as the houses each have 8 ppl stayin in them. its unreal crack there is constantly something going on and generally always a good buzz about the place.

Its near the offlicence, shop and only a few mins walk to any building in UL.

The houses arent too bad either if kept tidy, which may be hard living with 7 other ppl.

I lived there in first year and would happily live there again if the place wasnt almost entirely populated by first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I second that, I lived in courtyard for first year but ended up in Plassey a lot, now while I had my comforts in the courtyard I have to admit there was always more stuff going on at plassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Plassey isn't that run down, unless you're used to lavish luxury, it's grand. They're 'doing it up' this year aswell new double glazing, new carpet and floor coverings, new bathroom fittings etc. This is what I've heard anyway, my house had the new windows this year... nice.

I was there for 4 years, I was going to move out but when I weighed up all the pro's and cons I honestly couldn't find anywhere better on campus. As far as on campus goes unless you really want a double bed and en-suite the others are no better, they are all way too far away and alot more expensive... you'll be glad of Plassey when you're carrying your shopping back from Superquinn or stumbling home from the lodge :D

I'd say some of the best friends I have I met in Plassey, if you're lucky and meet a good bunch of people it's the best, but there are some houses full of immature first years too it's just the luck of the draw (of course if you're in first year it's great either way :p).

P.S. Dunno if you're male or female but alot of the nice study abroad ladies stay in Plassey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Plassey village seems to be completely dominated by foreigan students. Now I'm not for one minute saying thats a bad thing, all Im saying is that living with them might prove a bit difficult language or culture-clash wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Plassey village seems to be completely dominated by foreigan students. Now I'm not for one minute saying thats a bad thing, all Im saying is that living with them might prove a bit difficult language or culture-clash wise.
    While a lot of foreign students end up in Plassey, saying its dominated by foreign exchange students is seriously over exaggerating it.
    Its mostly first years by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yea there is a lot of foreign students but not normally with first years, typically it's all first years in a first year house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 queenann

lil_dee wrote: »
    Im hoping to go to UL in september and ive applied for accomodation in plassey as its meant to be dominated by 1st years but ive heard its a bit run down? can anybody tell me what its like?
    please check your house apartment asap after arrival check that everything is working,nothing is broken and everything is there.check that heat and hot water are working,all rads are heating,hot water works in your room,rad works in your room...
    please check that all cups,plates and all cooking utensils are there,
    check that cooker,fridge,tv +remote are all ok
    check then check again report all and every fault no matter how small
    get an answer as to when the faults will be addressed and make sure you get written conformation of this (DON,T BE FOBBED OFF) you could be charged for damage that was there when you moved in when you are due to move out
    also do not pay for WARE AND TARE that's not your problem...
    there is a very good reason for offering this advice,don,t get caught... it happens a lot more than you think ( DONT TAKE ANY CRAP AND GOOD LUCK)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

queenann wrote: »
    please check your house apartment asap after arrival check that everything is working,nothing is broken and everything is there.check that heat and hot water are working,all rads are heating,hot water works in your room,rad works in your room...
    please check that all cups,plates and all cooking utensils are there,
    check that cooker,fridge,tv +remote are all ok
    check then check again report all and every fault no matter how small
    get an answer as to when the faults will be addressed and make sure you get written conformation of this (DON,T BE FOBBED OFF) you could be charged for damage that was there when you moved in when you are due to move out
    also do not pay for WARE AND TARE that's not your problem...
    there is a very good reason for offering this advice,don,t get caught... it happens a lot more than you think ( DONT TAKE ANY CRAP AND GOOD LUCK)

Im they checked it back in 2009..

Advertisement