Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing Code to 'talk to' fingerprint reader

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22

Hi guys, can't seem to find what I'm looking for on google on this so worth a try here! I've been playing around with the fingerprint reader on my Dell XPS laptop and after taking a while to get used to it, I quite like it. Really handy for logging in a storing log in details for websites you visit. Anyway, it got me thinking if I could use it for logging into some of my apps. One web app in particular is installed in a location where many people use the same laptop during the course of a day, they all use the same login, so its not too secure but no worries there. Anyway, for the web app which is used as a sort of CRM tool for customers they all have their own logins, but if they want to use it they need to either login, do their bit, then logout again, or stay logged in and the next person logs them out when they're logging in etc. Anyway - you get the idea. I'd like a way of 'hot swapping' users in and out of the app, say like the do in pubs or restaurants where they touch a fob or swipe a card which logs them into make a sale. Anyway, I wonder if by using the fingerprint reader could I capture this 'login' and log them onto the site... anyone tried anything like this? Or anyone got any ideas on other ways to achive it. I already now know I could have an account for each person and whenever they swipe theirt fingerprint it will switch user, but I want it to automaticlly lauch IE and login using the stored passwords - but can't seem to get that to work..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

look for white paper by Matthew Lewis, it has everything to get you started.

dell might use their own protocol though which you'd have to study through reversing the binaries, although there might be some DLL with exportable API to make it easier.

the data is probably stored in a file or registry.

Advertisement