Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best semi auto

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

going to trade in my shotgun for a semi automatic shotgun was wondering what would be the best gun for 1200to1400 euro was thining of getting a remington or a fabarm any 1 have any views on this.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd strongly consider a Beretta AL391 before the other 2. can be had for around €1450 new.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

i picked up a second hand yildz for 500e
    the quality of the wood is exellent and it cycles everything flawlessly.only one small snag...
    it had one broken part that was replaced within the week
    they are a fine gun with no other problems

ian

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Can you have Saiga-12s in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're thinking about the Russian full auto combat shotgun forget about it. It would be as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike for hunting and target shooting purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

The Saiga is a semi-auto that uses a box magazine instead of a tube. I can't see how it would be that different from other semis, other than in looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

So long as the barrel is over 24" and you only use 2 round magazines the Saiga is no different from any other shotgun, except that it's probably pretty heavy for rough shooting. I've never fired one but i had a good look at one over in the Czech Republic, i liked it but it's probably a lot of hassle and money to import one. If you really want one these guys will get one to you: http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/firearms_saiga12.htm I think the 2 round mags might be hard to find, but you could always put a bolt into a 5 or 8 round mag to limit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Jonty wrote: »
    I'd strongly consider a Beretta AL391 before the other 2. can be had for around €1450 new.

+1

Totally indestructable, will cycles any load you care to feed it, 100% reliable and handles beautifully. IMHO:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I use a Benelli Montrefeltro Left handed semi auto........delighted with it. (They are one of the few left hand semi's)

The Benelli is very comfortable and slimline...feels like a o/u in your hand...not bulky due to the inertia recoil mechanism. It has a very light recoil and has never jammed once....I've it for six years & fire about 3,000 per year....I couldn't fault it & would highly recommend it.

My shooting partner has a Beretta AL391 ......also an excellent gun.....slightly more work to the cleaning, as it's gas operated.....but that's only once a year.....he would fire the same number of cartridges with no misfies, problems, etc.

My brother -in - law has a Remington 1187 ....lovely looking gun & solid build but I would find it bulky and heavy......feels cumbersome when compared to the Benelli.....otherwise faultless.

If I were you I would go to a gun dealer & handle all of the makes.....see what feels & handles well......I would go for a 'good brand' as some friends bought cheaper semi-auto's and they jam just at the wrong moment.....very frustrating and after a while they lost confidence in the gun and changed........buy once & buy right!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Re Saiga12,20,and 410s.Redaly available in the UK with 24in barrels,non folding skeloton stocks,etc from as mentioned Rusmilitary,also www.planetofgun.de do custom work on,and have them in stock them for practical shotgun competitions or in Aherne speak..."Combat training for criminals..:mad:"
    If you intend to stay in practical shotgun,get one... they are the score board wipers along with the SPAS15.
    If you want a "wild looking" gun get one,they are extremly tough and will laugh at near non maintenence and abuse,due to the AK gas operation system.Dont expect them to "point" like an english double..they wont,but are still fast enough for their size.
    If you want more normal looks that functions on most stuff shoved into it Remmy 11/87 or 1100. Or a classic,that can survive anything thrown at it the humpback Browning A5

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II and it jams often but is the best handling shotgun I have ever used

My brother has a Beretta Xtrema2 and it cycles everything flawlessly but its a little bit more bulky than the Benelli but its still a fine gun.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II and it jams often but is the best handling shotgun I have ever used

My brother has a Beretta Xtrema2 and it cycles everything flawlessly but its a little bit more bulky than the Benelli but its still a fine gun.

+ 1 for the extrema II they are a bit bulkier but they are chambered for 3.5" cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Vegeta wrote: »

QUOTE]

When cleaning the gun run the cleaning mop with some oil up the magazine holder (tube under the barrel) .....this could solve your jamming problem.....the cap on the spring here can get stiff.....bit of oil would solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

have to say my Bereta 391 urika is a great gun

Meh...Breatta copying an old idea.Try these..

http://www.cosmi.net/img/foto/002-big.jpg

http://www.cosmi.net/img/foto/cosmi4.jpg

100 parts totally handmade ,only 80K ever made since 1920s
    Used by Mussolini,Giscard'Destang ,Breshnev and apprently Slobo Milsovich.
    I know where there are two for sale very shortly one 12 GA other 20 Ga.

Serious offers over 10k euro only
    Gimme a PM if intrested.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If the age of a gun means nothing to you and you only care about quality and condition an FN Liege made Browning A5 is probably one of the best semsi's ever made. I still regret not having bought one a couple of years ago in Drogheda. It was a minter with a fixed 1/2 choke for €850...I decided to buy a Stoeger instead as they were a bit cheape..suffise to say that the Stoeger is long gone and replaced by a S/S.

Amen to that MS!:DOne of my grandfathers first postwar German gun was a Browning A5,which is apprently a prewar Belgian reg gun.It is the gun that got the least maintenence and the most shooting in his cabinet.Amazing how close to the ragged edge of failure they will still keep on working.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

davy_b wrote: »
    or to be different

http://www.ugb25xcel.com/

anyone ever shoot one? seen one there last week, lovely to point and hold but i cant work out what the point of it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

ayapatrick wrote: »
    anyone ever shoot one? seen one there last week, lovely to point and hold but i cant work out what the point of it is?

They're for for people how shoot comps and who are recoil sensitive.

you can only load two cartidges and the spent hulls eject downwards so as not to take the head off the fella next to ya.;)

They are not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Also since Hezz missed it but discribed the gun very well, as you can see the gun brakes,(open's like other shotguns) this shows that the gun safe. if you fancy walking around a clay shoot with a auto this is the easy option, other wise try walking around with another auto, hopefully with the gate open or you'll get your marching order's. hopefully now you can see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Jonty wrote: »
    They are not cheap.

bout 3k i thinks

Advertisement