Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding on Subject Title for PhD

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi folks

I'm currently contemplating undertaking a PhD next year. It would be in the HR field but at the moment I haven't a clue what area or what title would be suitable and would be of the interest that everyone seems to advise you need to have in order to stick with it for the PhD duration.

How did you guys decide on the subject area/title for your PhD? Did you make the decision before you began degree or was it something that cropped up as a result of initial research or as a suggestion by supervisor etc?

Its approx 4 years since I've done my MSc but as this was done through distance through an overseas university I'm now trying to determine the best university here to do the PhD through. Again - if you have any advice on how you made this decision (other than it was the university you did your masters through), I'd be grateful for any insight or advice you can provide.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If you're applying for government funding (IRCSET/IRCHSS) you'll have to stick with whatever your original title is. Otherwise you can change it during the course of your study. Don't worry about it too much - if it's something worth studying you should at least be able to come up with a semi-decent title for it:P

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

How did you guys decide on the subject area/title for your PhD? Did you make the decision before you began degree or was it something that cropped up as a result of initial research or as a suggestion by supervisor etc?
    If you're applying for government funding (IRCSET/IRCHSS) you'll have to stick with whatever your original title is.

I have IRCSET funding for my PhD (engineering) and am now near the end of my second year. I have to say that the research I'm doing now is very different to what what I put down on my funding request. Its still in the vague general area but the topic is really completely different. In some cases a supervisor may have a very specific project in mind but most of the time in my experience the PhD topic is more fluid. You really need to have more knowledge in the area before things can be nailed down and you won't really have that until you are maybe a year in.
    Its approx 4 years since I've done my MSc but as this was done through distance through an overseas university I'm now trying to determine the best university here to do the PhD through. Again - if you have any advice on how you made this decision (other than it was the university you did your masters through), I'd be grateful for any insight or advice you can provide.

I was lazy and stayed in the same university that I did my undergrad. To be honest you really should be basing this decision on the research group/supervisor and your interest in their existing research. Maybe have a look at recent publications with your supervisors name on them and look at the quality of the conferences/journals they are published in. Try and talk to existing postgrad students of the supervisor if possible. They will be best placed to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

I wouldn't worry too much about a title. Call it what ever you want to get the funding. I think allot of people find that the original question they set out to answer is eclipsed by other more important questions they meet along the way. What I'm working on now has changed significantly from the original research title but my supervisor/research group is happy. IF you make a genuine intellectual contribution to your field then you'll get your PhD, title change or not! Also as to how to pick your college etc! Go talk to people. Make appointments with lectures and see what they are like. See if they get much research money. Are they the sort of people that you could work with. Do they have many other students. ie a good track record of getting people through it all. Do they have many publications etc. Getting the wrong supervisor can make or break your PhD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Laurenpedro

Many thanks for all your responses - they are very detailed and have given me food for thought (and apols for taking so long to respond as I was away on hols :)). Wishing you guys all the best and thanks again (fingers crossed about 6 years down the line I'll have gone through the PhD journey and come out in one piece on the other side ! lol ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hey Lauren

Doin an HR related research masters currently, doin an Occ Psy MSc next year, then plan to do an HR/psychology related Phd following.

My ten cents worth would be to think about one of the usually topical areas in HR, like change or performance management, OD, talent management etc etc I realise these are broad subject areas, but my thinking with my own Phd will be to make it relevant to a field I'd like to work in.....in my case leadership development (from an occupational psychology perspective).
    Before starting my research masters, I spoke to several faculty and got good advice and ideas about a research focus. They do this year in year out, so their advice is usually worth something. Faculty research interests are usually listed on uni websites.
    Depends why you want to do a Phd.....if its for career advancement, then choosing a focus thats going to be relevent/in demand in several years time would be handy :) As someone else may have mentioned, you're going to be doing a considerable amount of work, so choosing a subject that is going to hold your interest is pretty important I'd say. That said, my focus in my research masters did shift somewhat, particularly after getting unexpected data back from survey respondents.
    Best of luck! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement