Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Time

• 21-07-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am 27 and thinking of getting a motorbike, prob good idea now cause I seem to have gotton out of my 'nothing is too fast' stage.

Anyone have any idea's what type of bike is best for me, I have never ridden a bike before and this may be just a passing interest. I am usually in Galway or Roscommon.

Thanks,

Mike...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Honda Varadaro 125

And stroll over to www.biker.ie for some good advice and some vicious putdowns :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hyabusa would be the right bike for you. :D :rolleyes:
    Let us know how you get on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

mikemac wrote: »
    vicious putdowns :P

Thats the bit putting me off!!!
    I ain't got any idea what a fairing is or some of the other stuff....
    So I ain't going to pretend I know something when i don't

P.C. wrote: »
    Hyabusa would be the right bike for you. :D :rolleyes:
    Let us know how you get on. :D

By now, I hope you realize that ^^^ that was a joke.
    Mike... wrote: »
    Thats the bit putting me off!!!
    I ain't got any idea what a fairing is or some of the other stuff....
    So I ain't going to pretend I know something when i don't

Ok, lets start at the beggining - we are going to ask you lots of questions. This will help us to help you.

1.) have you done the theory test for the A licence?
    2.) what is your budget?
    3.) what style of bike do you like?

Do you like bikes like this (A):

sportster-883.jpg

Or like this (B):
    800px-2006HondaCBR600RR-profile.png

Or like this (c):

Photo54.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hi,

I am 27 and thinking of getting a motorbike, prob good idea now cause I seem to have gotton out of my 'nothing is too fast' stage.

getting a motorbike tends to spark a new 'nothing accelerates too fast' stage :pac:

Or like this (B):
    800px-2006HondaCBR600RR-profile.png

Or like this (c):

Photo54.jpg

Def B or C, more likely B
    Wossack wrote: »
    getting a motorbike tends to spark a new 'nothing accelerates too fast' stage :pac:

Think I see your point....look at B :D

OK, so more the sports bike. :)

They do look good, but you also have to like the riding position.

C would be 'Naked' or 'Street Bike' - they have a more upright riding postion than the race bikes.
    You can also get a semi fared Street Bike.

Take the bike in pic C - that is a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion.

Here is the same bike semi fared:

2009_XJ6-Diversion.jpg

Looks very different to the Naked version, but it is the same bike.

Now

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Try a few lessons man. You'll have to get them anyways if you're gonna take it further.

A few hours in the saddle would give you a feel for whether you've got the appetite for it or not.

P.S. don't get too hung up about the lack of knowledge side of things.Vast majority of bikers are happy to share in a non-a$$holey way.

Personally I still haven't figured out the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke bike. The way it's talked about it must be something important but I haven't a clue.

I know its to do with science and motors and engineering and such, but beyond that I haven't a notion.

You can always nod and say 'yes' in a knowledgeable way and hope for the best. But I suppose that's kind of a life skill in and of itself anyways...

oh also www.bikesafe.ie is a good site for a general overview of bike types, insurance and test issues.

In particular link below goes through the broad different categories of bikes:

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/whichbike.html

• Advertisement

Think I see your point....look at B :D

all the nice colourdy bits on B is called the fairing (the aerodynamic bodywork) ;)

P.S. don't get too hung up about the lack of knowledge side of things.Vast majority of bikers are happy to share in a non-a$$holey way.

Now you are just trying to make me feel bad about the Hyabusa joke. :o
    Personally I still haven't figured out the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke bike. The way it's talked about it must be something important but I haven't a clue.

I know its to do with science and motors and engineering and such, but beyond that I haven't a notion.

When you have some time, I will explain the difference to you.

It is a bit of science and engineering, and a lot of wizzadry*. :D

*and in return, you can teach me how to spell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Or like this (c):

Photo54.jpg

This is the style you want for a first bike, no expensive plastics to break up when you inevitably take a tumble.

the mechanics of em are easily explained by searchin out some animated gif's for the different combustion cycles :)

they're quite popular at the moment, due to legislation near killing them off due to their high emissions. Not sure theres any in production, bar small highly restricted small displacment things (mopeds etc)

the mechanics of em are easily explained by searchin out some animated gif's for the different combustion cycles :)

they're quite popular at the moment, due to legislation near killing them off due to their high emissions. Not sure theres any in production, bar small highly restricted small displacment things (mopeds etc)

And lawn mowers. :D

Gets coat.

lawnmowers are generally 4 stroke

hedge strimmers / chainsaws 2 :)

(sorry!)

Great stuff lads..
    Thanks for all the help...
    Oh yeah google Hayabusa...deadly looking yoke :D:D:D

OK, so more the sports bike. :)
    Now

Budget?

Still trying to decide that, was thinking about 3k,
    Will look at a few options i.e must get a lesson on a bike first and see what it's like.going to try getting some instructor in galway.

I'd personally recommend a 250 for a first bike

- cheap to insure, buy and run (massive mpg not unusual out of some... 60-70mpg out of a cb250 for example),
    - not too heavy - big factor imo for a first bike. Had a couple of near-drops on my old 125, that have taught me valuable lessons come my big bike. **** you just wouldnt think of (such as baggy trousers catching foot pegs when putting your foot down :eek:)
    - decent power that wont immediate ruin yer underwear, but wont bore you out of em either,
    - and big enough to do your 'A' test on

Now you are just trying to make me feel bad about the Hyabusa joke. :o

[/SIZE]

Hehe PC, we all know you are a complete gent!

Will go off and have a look at those animation, see if i can figure it out....:)

• Advertisement

2 stroke:
    http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.shtml

4 stroke:
    http://www.animatedengines.com/otto.shtml

So you can see how the 2stroke revs harder, which is why they tend to wear a lot quicker than 4stroke engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

KamiKazi wrote: »
    This is the style you want for a first bike, no expensive plastics to break up when you inevitably take a tumble.

Speak for yourself:P

2 years driving and though Ive had countless near misses, theyre getting less frequent and Ive yet to fall off <touch wood>

lawnmowers are generally 4 stroke

hedge strimmers / chainsaws 2 :)

(sorry!)

I regularly use a lawn mower that has a bigger CC than my first bike!!!:eek:

Speak for yourself:P

2 years driving and though Ive had countless near misses, theyre getting less frequent and Ive yet to fall off <touch wood>
    pfft

KamiKazi wrote: »
    pfft

See you this evening:p

See you this evening:p

*puts baseball bat and length of chain up jacket sleeves*

Lets see ya stay on two wheels now! :D

Advertisement