Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where are the good weather predictors now

• 21-07-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

oh yeah, as reliable as the daffodils in spring they get thir little 15 min slot on the radio usually around april predicting hot sunny summers , its the animals its the snails , its the ducks back side etc etc. and could even have a prolonged drought also.
    well ya's have got it wrong again boys , washed out here in the sunny south east, and no sign of getting better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

well said,ur thread is funny!!the only good thing about the weather this summer is, its better than last summer,at least its warm when it rains!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

only rained here twice last week.

first for 4 days then for 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

yet many still listen to theese weather fortune tellers who repeatedly get it wrong while at the same time dismissing climate change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

irish_bob wrote: »
    yet many still listen to theese weather fortune tellers who repeatedly get it wrong while at the same time dismissing climate change
    I wrote a post here back in early June (which is missing for some reason) about a man in Australia that correctly predicted the Irish weather for last year. This year he said that we would get a fine week in May, a fine week in June, July would be a washout, August not much better and September would be our summer. He predictions are true so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

July really seems to be a bogey month the last few years..you have to say its looks like the summers are consistantly bad at this stage, last year led to awfal problems between housing cattle early and feed shortages..if it goes that way again this year i will be cutting back big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I wrote a post here back in early June (which is missing for some reason) about a man in Australia that correctly predicted the Irish weather for last year. This year he said that we would get a fine week in May, a fine week in June, July would be a washout, August not much better and September would be our summer. He predictions are true so far.

Your post is still here > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60123143#post60123143

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

But his perdiction is already wrong we had more than two fine weeks so far. July has been a crapy month but weather was ok up till that.

Still nothing compared to last year although it was worst come august we will have to wait and see what happens there.

Thanks for finding that post kfk.

emaherx he was talking more about the south of Ireland and yes we had more than 2 fine weeks since May we had about 3 fine weeks if you add all the fine days together. In my book being out a week in 3 months isn't bad forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mooverlive

well if its warmer this theres nothing growing here in cork nw, cows are nearly eating there tails there going around the rotation so fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

mooverlive wrote: »
    well if its warmer this theres nothing growing here in cork nw, cows are nearly eating there tails there going around the rotation so fast

If ye can't grow it down in the sunny south, what chance have we further north...
    Seriously, are ye guys finding this a very bad year for grass. I'm carrying less stock, put out more fertiliser, yet I seem to be chasing grass all year. Silage was cut late & I will still need a second cut, my first year ever doing a second cut.
    Still think this summer is some bit better than the last 2, at least we have some bit of sunshine.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

desperate bad year for growth on the west coast anyway..maybe ground was too wet for too long or something bu nothing growing, 2nd cut fert out 4 weeks now and crop v poor so far. you would think this muggy kinda weather would be good for growth but no..its appears to have made a fair flood here last night, ground starting to get fairly soft again now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

what a shockin year. Half my farm is wet growing next to nothing other half fairly dry not doing too bad now. Silage is going to be scarce and dear.
    The winter would'nt want to arrive till next easter.
    How is it no one from the green industry has mentioned "CLIMATE CHANGE" :P

scaniaman wrote: »
    what a shockin year. Half my farm is wet growing next to nothing other half fairly dry not doing too bad now. Silage is going to be scarce and dear.
    The winter would'nt want to arrive till next easter.
    How is it no one from the green industry has mentioned "CLIMATE CHANGE" :P

increased rainfall is a symptom of climate change and the enviromentalists remind us of this all the time

The climate is allways changing does'nt mean we caused it though!

increased rainfall is a symptom of climate change and the enviromentalists remind us of this all the time
    Bob why do you have to turn every thread about the weather into climate change nonsense?

Tut Tut Sam another non-beliver:D

scaniaman wrote: »
    The climate is allways changing does'nt mean we caused it though!

i never said we caused it , that remains an open question , only a fool would deny its existance though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

put my cows in tonight ... its unreal no grass growth and ground conditions are really bad ... i had some of the sheds powerwashed :mad::mad: so will have to do them again if i ever get to let them out full time again .. hope to let them out during the day for a while

with the advent of climate change, farming in ireland will have to change as we know it , on heavier soils , dairy farming will inevitably be more indoor based , some are already making the change , article in last weeks farming indo about a farmer in monaghan who is zero grazing , have to admit his system sounds like it has much going for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

whelan1 wrote: »
    put my cows in tonight ... its unreal no grass growth and ground conditions are really bad ... i had some of the sheds powerwashed :mad::mad: so will have to do them again if i ever get to let them out full time again .. hope to let them out during the day for a while

my neighbour housed 45 heavy bullocks to day had them on an out farm which is waterlogged, the home farm is not able to feed his cows so no other option. he was already low on silage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

On the market gardening end of thing its much the same, Fields that we have tilled and drilled are just slurry managed to muc in 100,000 plants the other day (Tue) but thats was it conditions are just to bad. In place drills have been washed flat due to the weather. Ground is that wet that it wont even soak now.... 5 yrs ago if you got a days rain in july 24hrs later it was soaked.. Now its like bog.. Things are getting bad with no sign of let up cerial farmers who invested in trackes combines invested well....
    even as lads are saying above cattle are being brought in to stop them poaching.... Hope those subs where kept for a rainy day..!!!:p:p

with the advent of climate change, farming in ireland will have to change as we know it , on heavier soils , dairy farming will inevitably be more indoor based , some are already making the change , article in last weeks farming indo about a farmer in monaghan who is zero grazing , have to admit his system sounds like it has much going for it
    Stop worrying about climate change Bob when we all pay our carbon taxes the weather will improve;)

Stop worrying about climate change Bob when we all pay our carbon taxes the weather will improve;)

thats funny , assume i vote for the green party because i believe in climate change , i dont vote green as thier wishy washy liberals on most issues although right on ireland pursuing a green agenda, theirs money in being green down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

theirs money in being green down the line

I presume you mean "There is money in being green down the line." :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

http://audio.todayfm.com/ken_ring_january_1.wma

Have a listen... he says th weather happens in cycles....

Yes this is supposed to be year three of a seven year cycle.
    This climate change nonsense will turn out to be one of the biggest scams ever carried out. The trouble is we won't be around to have a laugh about it. The green industry will lump us with a carbon tax of coarse which i'm sure will solve it straight away. Anyway what would i know about it i'm only a fool:p

Advertisement