Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My phone assploded... Need a recommendation please :)

• 21-07-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Yeah... My phone's been acting increasingly dodgy recently and today it got really hot during a call and then turned off.
    Wouldn't turn back on again...

What I need:
    1) I NEED an MP3 player - I can't function without music - whether walking to town, doing housework, study or other chores, everything takes me roughly 1.5 times longer without it, I'm a very music central person. A card slot helps here.

1b) STANDARD HEADPHONE JACK (and standard USB is nice but not really necessary). I could settle for an included pigtail though.

2) Decent speaker quality (for calls, not music - my Sennheisers do that) is paramount - I much prefer calling people to texting. I'm gonna put good antenna in here too, not sure if it warrants its own point.

3) Nice, separate, preferably slightly raised buttons make texting SO much nicer.

4) A camera also is hugely useful - I use it for everything from capturing moments with friends/family/girlfriend to taking down notices (faster, more efficient than writing it down, no chance of error) so I'm gonna put that as a need too. My k800i is perfect with a 3.2mpx, xenon flash camera

5) Preferably not a flip/slide/twist/bend - I want a brick!

6) Bluetooth. It's illegal not to have a handsfree in the car, I need to accessable at all times. I also want to be able to play music over bluetooth to my car stereo.

7) The "standard" features - multiple alarms and a calendar.

Meteor, prepay (although I may be able to convince the parental figures to get an upgrade on one of their meteor bill pay phones and give it to me), or unlocked.
    And now the fun bit: I'm skint :(
    Needs to cost as little as possible, as I'm jobless and probably going to be borrowing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Whats your budget?

Look at the Nokia 6303 classic. Its only out but you could pick one up for about €150 sim free. One thing to note, this is not a 3g phone. You did not mention internet usage, if you had i wouldn't have suggested this phone.

For more money, the N82 would be worth a look, what do you think of the buttons. Has everything else you want including the xenon flash.

Or for a similar amount you might like a e52. Not out yet but will be in a week and its an ideal monoblock style that you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If one of your folks is due and upgrade i'd be pushing them to get you a sony w995, ticks all the boxes your after mentioning...I think it's a cool looking phone, looks like it's been made from a rock..

If you've to buy it yourself you won't get everything your looking for, Nokia 3120 is probably the best phone you'll get under €100

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

Yeah, I realise I'm not going to get everything I want, I really should've and thought I did mention that. Just as many of those things as possible would be awesome.
    How do I know whether the phone is capable of playing music over bluetooth? Is it a standard feature of bluetooth 2.0 or does it need A2DP? (I came across that term whilst trying to research but I can't find concrete information about it...)

Internet usage isn't important. I never use it. Ever. I can't afford it :p. Wifi would be nice for checking emails at the occassional hotspot, but really, that's all it would be - a nice perk.

The flash isn't HUGELY important.

Budget: I'd like to spend less than €100.
    I'm trying not to get greedy, but if I could push the rents to let me rob their upgrade privilege the LG Arena looks drool worthy.

From those suggestions:
    N82 & E52 look pretty cool (I mean, good/worthy, looks aren't hugely important). Dad has an E51 (I think?) which looks similar...
    3120 & 6303 look alright too.
    W995 is a slider so it's out before I even look at ANYTHING else about it.

Oh I forgot to say: I need to sync it with windows contacts too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Budget: I'd like to spend less than €100.
    I'm trying not to get greedy, but if I could push the rents to let me rob their upgrade privilege the LG Arena looks drool worthy.

You spec'd you wanted buttons for texting,, but you want the arena :confused:

You could get the LG KP500 Cookie for close to the ton mark.
    From those suggestions:
    N82 & E52 look pretty cool (I mean, good/worthy, looks aren't hugely important). Dad has an E51 (I think?) which looks similar...
    3120 & 6303 look alright too.
    W995 is a slider so it's out before I even look at ANYTHING else about it.

Oh I forgot to say: I need to sync it with windows contacts too...

I think the 6303 is your best bet, its new, and cheapest apart from the cookie

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

Davy wrote: »
    You spec'd you wanted buttons for texting,, but you want the arena :confused:

You could get the LG KP500 Cookie for close to the ton mark.

I think the 6303 is your best bet, its new, and cheapest apart from the cookie
    Yeah, that's just the geek in me wanting everything just because he can't have it :p
    I'll give the 6303 a go.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement