Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4890 Not Working

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey all, I'd appreciate a quick reply! I just got my Sapphire 4890 today and put it into my system. Now I didn't get a manual and I was confused with the power part of it. I have a toughpower 750w so I know I have the power.. its just how to use it. There's 2 six pin slots on the card... so I got 2 PCI Express six pin cables from the power supply and plugged them in. once it was comfortable and everything was where i thought it should have been I turned the computer on. Once it booted into Windows... I was greeted by the use of the onboard graphics.. not what i was expecting. And then when I was adjusting the card (computer off after a few minutes), it was VERY HOT! It was sore to touch for over a few seconds! I tried with one six pin instead of two and the fan in the 4890 just spins really fast with no picture. And then I put in the cables they gave me... the 6 pin to 4 pin molar thing. With 2 of them I got the same result as the first time!
    Have I got a dead card?
    So I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, but try and help! :D
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What do you mean I was greeted by the use of the onboard graphics?

Are you saying that you had to switch the monitor from the card to the onboard GPU to see a picture? Or that you had a picture from the card but it was crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Huxoin

marco_polo wrote: »
    What do you mean I was greeted by the use of the onboard graphics?

Are you saying that you had to switch the monitor from the card to the onboard GPU to see a picture? Or that you had a picture from the card but it was crap?

Sorry, probably wrong wording. I got picture from the card but it was crap! And then i went to control panel to look and it was like 8mb of video memory. And the windows experience index thing gave it a 1! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You need to install the driver for it, www.ati.com

XP or Vista?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

astrofool wrote: »
    You need to install the driver for it, www.ati.com

XP or Vista?

What he said.

Or else if you have the CD that surely came with the card that would have the drivers on it.

Although it is never any harm to get the very latest version off the website

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Pray your card isn't damaged - sounds like the botched drivers also killed the fan, so the card got very hot :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Solitaire wrote: »
    Pray your card isn't damaged - sounds like the botched drivers also killed the fan, so the card got very hot :o

Umm, modern graphics cards do get REALLY hot, its normal.

As the other lads were saying it sounds like you just need to install the graphics card drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Huxoin

Thanks all. I needed the new drivers. stupid mistake really! :o
    thanks

Huxoin wrote: »
    Thanks all. I needed the new drivers. stupid mistake really! :o
    thanks

Good times. Enjoy it :)

Advertisement