Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some websites wont open!

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

When i try to open some websites they wont load, they come up connection timed out. When i try to ping them i get request timed out however when i use a anonymous proxy like youhide.com i can load the website so they are definately working.

I have tried opendns.org and eircoms dns, restarted my computer and router however all devices on the network have the same issue. I can still access most websites. Websites im having difficulty with are www.magicseaweed.com, www.meebo.com. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

me too,I know not why I can get into boards though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Having the same problem, eircom must be experiencing 'heavy' demand again!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I'm having same problem with Eircom in Wicklow Town

neon_glows wrote: »
    When i try to open some websites they wont load, they come up connection timed out. When i try to ping them i get request timed out however when i use a anonymous proxy like youhide.com i can load the website so they are definately working.

I have tried opendns.org and eircoms dns, restarted my computer and router however all devices on the network have the same issue. I can still access most websites. Websites im having difficulty with are www.magicseaweed.com, www.meebo.com. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

this is a good site to use
    http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

stick the web site in it

BTW both those work for me on Digiweb.

It always helps if you say what ISP you are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Does anyone know how to set up a proxy for my actual browser instead of using something like youhide.com. youhide.com is not letting me login to certain websites or run javascript.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Just to throw my hat in the ring .. Im in Carrigaline via Eircom using OPENDNS. Noticing a load of sites timing out also. Including politics.ie most recently ..

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Hmmm , I am having problems accessing 3 or 4 different browser based games . Like Facebook Poker , and 2 other facebook application games thingies , and Evony . I can get on Facebook no problem and the evony website , but not actually play the games . Which is odd because I was only playing them around 8 o clock and haven't restarted the pc since .

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Having problems with some sites timing out aswell. In wicklow, with Eircom.

Eircom too. I've changed to open DNS but it hasn't fixed it.

This actually is something else and not DNS related due to this happening with opendns also. I reckon if you had a look with a diag app you would find huge PACKET LOSS, that may be the issue being caused by an attack ..

Aidan

• Advertisement

how do i set up a proxy connection, so i connect through a different ip and is this safe for using passwords and how do i set this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

I have openDNS and the level3 ones in and it doesnt work here.

Then again the service eircom have provided me with for the last 3 months im lucky to be able to load google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Eircom/openDNS.
    Dot Com sites not opening for me.

Yip - running Ping Plotter ( free ) - Packet loss averaging about 30% or more. Thats high. The trace address I used is www.eircom.net - on route to that it goes throw chuchfield exchange ( I think ) b-ras1.chf.cork.eircom.net, its here the loss is constant at 30%. Tried another Irish forum also - large losses on all parts of the trace.

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There is no need to change your DNS settings.
    Noticed the same problem with Eircom earlier this evening, performance seems to have improved somewhat now.

C:\>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.120
    2 91 ms * 42 ms b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.27]
    3 * 44 ms * 86.43.242.53
    4 42 ms 42 ms 42 ms 86.43.243.241
    5 44 ms 42 ms 42 ms 86.43.244.153
    6 45 ms 42 ms 42 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    7 48 ms 47 ms 48 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

aidanodr wrote: »
    Yip - running Ping Plotter ( free ) - Packet loss averaging about 30% or more. Thats high. The trace address I used is www.eircom.net - on route to that it goes throw chuchfield exchange ( I think ) b-ras1.chf.cork.eircom.net, its here the loss is constant at 30%. Tried another Irish forum also - large losses on all parts of the trace.

Aidan
    I've no idea what you just said but it is fixable and if so how so?

Check for example http://www.politics.ie/forum.php - OR other forums and sites - very slow. But this could vary from person to person based on what exchange they are running off.

Whats happening now with slow site loads, non DNS related happened about 3 years ago - the net via Eircom at the time all over the country was like dial up or less for weeks ..

Aidan

What about sites that dont load at all. any fix to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Aidan, does this look like Eircom are being hacked again albeit in a different way to the last couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Thank god, I'm not the only one who is experiencing problems, but of course i go straight for my system and restart routers, reinstall connections on so on and so forth.

This has been happening quite a bit since last week, after the attack.

Edenderry, County Offaly here.

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote: »
    I've no idea what you just said but it is fixable and if so how so?

Ping Plotter and apps similar trace the route your site request from your browser goes through before reaching its destination. Most sites take a number of "hops" to eventually get to destination. Going through various exchanges and sub exchanges and the like on the way.

Like Pa ElGrande said you can get an idea by clicking START then RUN, into the open box, type cmd and then click OK. This opens a DOS box, at the prompt type:

tracert www.eircom.net

It will tell you the hops and how fast it is to travel through them to the destination.

An app like PING PLOTTER does this in a graphical way BUT it measures the average dropped packets.

Information is sent through the net in little parcels called packets. So an email with an attachment of size 2mb is say broken into 4 500kb packets. Each packet is sent and will only ask for the next one if the system recieving those packets says it got an uncorrupted packet. Packet loss is when the likes of Eircoms system gets flaky and starts dropping packets all over the shop.

When your browser requests a website the request has to be answered on the other end, if part of it gets dropped it will keep resending / requesting BUT will eventually time out particularly if the packet loss level is very high.

Apparently 2% or so packet loss is acceptable, at the moment here its averaging 30% or more.

Try it yourself - http://www.pingplotter.com/

Aidan

Again tryin keep the explanation simple, so took liberties in the explanation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
        Packets: Sent = 7, Received = 7, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 19ms

similar to heanet

Digiweb ISP

I'd regard as much as 1% loss as serious.

Slimity wrote: »
    Aidan, does this look like Eircom are being hacked again albeit in a different way to the last couple of weeks?

Could be, though the last time this occurred - albeit on a larger scale - it turned out that some of the exchanges were over subscribed / hit capacity for the want of newer bigger equipment - so I was told anyway!

Aidan

30% Packet loss :(

packetloss-1.jpg

And just for a more visual version:

pingplotter.png

Loads a red, 30% and higher packet loss. All the action here in Cork anyway at Churchfield exchange - as far as I know is a BRAS .. see below!

For those who want to get a bit techy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Remote_Access_Server

"A broadband remote access server (BRAS or BBRAS) routes traffic to and from the digital subscriber line access multiplexers (DSLAM) on an Internet service provider's (ISP) network.

The BRAS sits at the core of an ISP's network, and aggregates user sessions from the access network. It is at the BRAS that an ISP can inject policy management and IP Quality of Service (QoS).
    "

If you google the words "packet loss" dos - articles have been written on this. Heres a quote:

"If a DoS attack can lead to a packet loss rate of 20%, it can effectively bring down a network."

The plot thickens :D

Aidan

neuromancer,

Quick tip - In Pingplotter under the FILE menu is SAVE IMAGE. You can use this at any one time to get a better snap shot of pingplotter, saves as a PNG file.

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

hahaha! i posted a similar thing a few days ago. Ive been getting this for THREE MONTHS! And 30% packet loss is nothing compared to my 50%+

eircomsuck.jpg

Hope this loads.Packet loss was at 60 at one stage,it keeps changing.
    I see it didn't,I'll try again

That is sofa king annoying.

aidanodr wrote: »
    neuromancer,

Quick tip - In Pingplotter under the FILE menu is SAVE IMAGE. You can use this at any one time to get a better snap shot of pingplotter, saves as a PNG file.

Aidan

I don't use Pingplotter, i use Multiping by Nessoft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

jonski wrote: »
    Hmmm , I am having problems accessing 3 or 4 different browser based games . Like Facebook Poker , and 2 other facebook application games thingies , and Evony . I can get on Facebook no problem and the evony website , but not actually play the games . Which is odd because I was only playing them around 8 o clock and haven't restarted the pc since .

Having the exact same probs today... very annoying

Advertisement