Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog training

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 year old cocker spaniel. He's very obedient and has learn many tricks and commands I've given him, but I can't for the life of me get him to play fetch. He'll run after a ball if I throw it, then when he gets there, just kind of look at it for a moment before losing interest.

If I offer him food to bring it back he just drops the ball and comes for the food. :(

Has anyone successfully though their dog fetch or is it just instinctive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some dogs just aren't into playing fetch or they will sometimes and then get bored. Our collie didn't play fetch until she copied our previous dog and our other little dog doesn't really play fetch or she'll run off with it and drop it. She's more of a sniff around the garden doing her own thing where as the collie loves to play fetch and brings it back to you every time.

Fetch is a great way to burn off excess energy but if he's really not interested perhaps try something else that he likes. Like hiding treats around the garden (rather than the house coz he'll be forever rooting around the house then even if there's nothing there) methinks spaniels like to use their noses more than fetching so any games that involve finding things he should love.

Advertisement