Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wallander (BBC) [** Spoilers **]

• 21-07-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching this on a Monday?

Tis good, detective/policier described as the Swedish Morse but not really, he is more like Frost to my mind (while the stories are like early Targart) with a bit of Morse thrown in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They showed two of the Swedish episodes (Before the Frost and Mastermind) a while back when they also showed the 3 English versions the BBC had made starring Kenneth Branagh as Kurt Wallander.

It looks like they're going to show all 13 episodes of the so-called 'Yellow Bird' series, none of which were actually based on the original books by Henning Mankell, the creator of Kurt Wallander. Those 9 original Mankell books were made into films (made for SVT) and starred a different actor.

The company that made these, Yellow Bird, is currently filming a new series of 13 episodes, the first of which is already released.

I really like Wallander, I must say, and it give me a chance to try and practice my really rusty Swedish (as long as I can manage to ignore the subtitles!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People should watch this it gets more 'Swedish' by the episode. This weeks was pretty strong esp in light of what happened to the actress that plays Linda Wallander.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭endaob

mike65 wrote: »
    People should watch this it gets more 'Swedish' by the episode. This weeks was pretty strong esp in light of what happened to the actress that plays Linda Wallander.

What he said.

Excellent series, quite dark storylines. Was thinking that too about the actress when I watched this week's one. Have started reading the original series of books now too. Worth giving them a go if you like the TV series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is a new series of this starting on BBC 1 on Sunday at 9pm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is a new series of this starting on BBC 1 on Sunday at 9pm

Starring Kenneth Branagh and not Krister Henriksson, who , for me, is the only credible Kurt Wallander. I just don't get the anglicised version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Branagh ones that I've seen seem to be poor copies of original Swedish episodes, with Branagh playing a whiny Wallander wallowing in misery and self-pity.

I haven't checked the details of the new BBC ones, so don't know whether they've got new plots, or are still relying on ones that have already been done in Swedish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

They had this on BBC 3or4 a while ago, watched nearly all of them, as I've got rid of my TV I bought one boxset (Golden-disks) last week and looking forward to getting the other boxsets very soon.

That ''The Swedish Morse'' is really off putting, I never could watch Morse, now unless Morse had a bit of nudity, Machine guns, bombs and high speed police chases, internet-terrorism, with amazing dark atmospheric story lines, then I must have of missed something.

Great show, the fact that it's subtitled even makes it more gripping.

Now Iike the new Sherlock Holms, but still not a patch on this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Third series
    • An Event in Autumn (July 8th 2012).
    • The Dogs of Riga (July 15th 2012).
    • Before the Frost (July 22nd 2012).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(British_TV_series)#Third_series

Branagh's Wallander
    https://sites.google.com/a/blowupthenandnow.com/branagh-s-wallander/season-3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Episode 3x01 is out....

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Ah UPC box cut off last few minutes of last nights episode. Could someone PM what was ending? Kurt and his new lady having a chat....

This episode did not grip me like the previous Branagh ones. Was the camera work less impressive? was it the English accents of characters? Plot not so interesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 vince mc

has anyone seen wallander. it can be found on the UPC on demand, under BBC drama boxsets.

its as good as any TV detective show, the only wierd thing is that it is set in Sweden but they all speak with english accents... kenneth Branagh is the main guy, never saw him so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wallander threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC4 are also showing the previously unseen 2001 series which features the most desolate
    Wallander - Henning Mankell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

BBC4 have, in recent weeks, gone right back to the start with Wallander, featuring the impressive Rolf Lassgård in the title role.

lockman wrote: »
    BBC4 have, in recent weeks, gone right back to the start with Wallander, featuring the impressive Rolf Lassgård in the title role.

Bump.
    Saturdays, 9pm, BBC4.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

lockman wrote: »
    Also available on Netflix. Seems to have all three versions, although just the first two seasons of Brannagh's.
    Which is the best version?

ixoy wrote: »
    Also available on Netflix. Seems to have all three versions, although just the first two seasons of Brannagh's.
    Which is the best version?

Afaik, there have been 3 Wallander's: 2 Swedish versions (one film series starring Lassgård; and the tv series starring Krister Henriksson) and the Branagh English version.

The one that the bbc are currently showing (with Lassgård) I am seeing for the very first time. This Wallander is a very different creature to Henriksson's interpretation. They are as different as chalk and cheese.

I really enjoyed the Henriksson version (~ 32 episodes over 2 seasons) and it was interesting watching him develop over the episodes, and especially his relationships with co-workers, his daughter and so on. This Wallander was, imo, the best one.

I never took to the Branagh version, didnt enjoy it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Branagh version starting on RTE 1 tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

So.................Am i right in thinking RTE showed one episode of this?

OldRio wrote: »
    So.................Am i right in thinking RTE showed one episode of this?

No it's two episodes.

One on Monday 20th and one on Mon 27th.

According to DigiGuide the next episode is on Mon 24th August at the slightly later time of 10.35pm.

• Advertisement

Thanks brian. I must have missed the second one.

Last Monday was a bank holiday and next Monday is the Rose of Tralee but I don't know why they didn't put the third episode on tonight.

A strange episode of Wallander on Sunday I thought.

I find it hard to believe that a white foreigner would be able to safely travel anywhere in South Africa without a minder of some sort.

I also don't believe that a wounded black youth would be able to get to Wallanders hotel room like that and then walk out of the hotel - holding Wallander at gunpoint - without anyone noticing.

Yes it was poor. It just didn't feel like a Wallander. The detective is a complex character in the books and the Swedish TV adaptions. Last nights episode could have been about any fictional Detective character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Much improved last night.

Although in a way I wish I hadn't watched it.

The stricken look on his face when he got the phone call back from his doctor stays with me still.

I don't think next week is going to be easy viewing.

Tremendous episode last night. The scene between Branagh and Jenny Spark towards the end was heartbreaking.
    Some very clever and subtle visuals from the director. The sugar cube with the coffee and the smudging of windscreen by one of the wipers on the car.

Advertisement