Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little black eggs on my nasturtiums

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm growing nasturtiums up the wall of the back garden for the first time and they're truly great. In one season, they've managed to cover a wall that my parents wasted years and pots of money on by not asking proper advice in the garden centre about what climbers were suitable......and their flowers are great too.

The only problem with them is that some random bug has decided to make them home for a whole colony of little black eggs. I suspect flies of some description, but I can't pin it on them!! I tried treating the infestation by picking off the affected stems during the dead-heading process as I'm always reluctant to use chemicals, but needless to say, the amount of eggs has soared and I'm eager to put an end to them before hatching time so as not to be swarmed by the very bugs that my plants helped to nurture.

Any advice on who the culprit might be and suggested methods for taking them down would be most appreciated. I'll even consider chemicals:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Probably blackfly, a close relative of greenfly. They are all over mine too; what the hell, life is short, I've just left them to it as the plants don't seem too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

As JuliusCaesar said, they're most likely blackfly, which love nasturtiums. Nasturtiums grow so fast they won't be bothered by blackfly - the only thing that will stop nasturtiums from their bid to take over the world is a hard frost.

Advertisement