Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCDSU officer has swine flu

Options
  • 21-07-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0721/swineflu.html
    A sabbatical officer member of UCD Students' Union has a confirmed case of swine flu.
    In a statement issued tonight the Union said it is believed that a member of the team contracted the virus at the Union of Students in Ireland annual training week, held in Waterford Institute of Technology from 13-17 July.

Anyone know who it is?

Wish them a speedy recovery regardless.

commence the pig jokes...

Now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Twelve voices were shouting in anger and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which
    *bleet* *moo* *neigh* *quack*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Im suprised that its only one member. The ****e that occurs at UOS Training, National Council and National Congress is conductive to epidemics of alcohol poisioning, mono, syphallus,crabs, drip dick,the clap, scarlet fever, and pneumonia. Not suprised that Swine Flu made its way in amongst the most sexually driven members of hackville/

There is also a very high chance that you will get off with a bird who will rank somewhere between 0-2 on the scale of beauty (ask the UCDSU Postgraduate Officer 2006/2007) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

It is all ahead of us. From Sunday Tribune
    Colleges poised to deal with mass swine flu deaths when term starts

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/jul/19/colleges-poised-to-deal-with-mass-swine-flu-deaths/

The state's largest university, UCD, has also compiled its own detailed flu-contingency plan, which predicts that a 20% absenteeism rate among staff could seriously impact on its ability to function normally.

Based on four different levels of alert, the plan notes that it may be necessary to close the university, stop all teaching and learning activities that involve gatherings, and "identify mortuary facilities if necessary".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

graduate wrote: »
    and "identify mortuary facilities if necessary"

Doesn't the library already fulfill this function?

[BA DUM TISH]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Tom65 wrote: »
    Doesn't the library already fulfill this function?

[BA DUM TISH]

Don't pick it up, just go.

And close the door on your way out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Scottie Ahearn as far as I know. He should visit his welfare officer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There is a serious chance of him infecting students if he came into college.

I think he should sty away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Twelve voices were shouting in anger and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which
    *bleet* *moo* *neigh* *quack*

Nice! Great piece of one of George Orwell's finest novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/jul/19/colleges-poised-to-deal-with-mass-swine-flu-deaths/

The state's largest university, UCD, has also compiled its own detailed flu-contingency plan, which predicts that a 20% absenteeism rate among staff could seriously impact on its ability to function normally.

Based on four different levels of alert, the plan notes that it may be necessary to close the university, stop all teaching and learning activities that involve gatherings, and "identify mortuary facilities if necessary".

Looks like I got out just in time!

Dave! wrote: »

How convenient...

• Advertisement

How convenient...
    oink oink !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Dave! wrote: »
    Me too! Well, out of Belfield anyway. I'll be spending the next two years safe and secure in the disease-free confines of St Vincent's University Hospital... Oh wait. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

It is rather worrying how UCD is going to deal with swine flu though.Especially since a bit of snow this year basically caused the campus to shut down..

Dear Colleague,

In dealing with the influenza outbreak the Department of Health have now moved away from infection containment to an infection treatment response. UCD through its Flu Response Team has put into place a comprehensive plan which is based on the current guidance as issued by the Department of Health to deal with the expected increase in the number of influenza cases in the community.

As part of UCD's influenza A(H1N1) response planning, I would like to take this opportunity to bring to your attention the information, including symptoms, prevention and HR issues, that is available on the UCD website at www.ucd.ie/influenza. Please check this site regularly for updates.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Peter Coulahan,
    University Safety Officer,
    Safety Office,
    Science Centre Hub Building,
    UCD,
    Dublin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

UCD lecture halls, September '09...

swine_flu_0427.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

when there was a couple inches of snow most stayed at home so I would imagine a pandemic will leave it more like this! :D

2846197912_0a3bf2821a.jpg?v=0

Are you making a point about there being to many Asian people in UCD? Thats awfully racist of you.

He's always doing that Grimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nah just saying the locals are too soft. I was being complimentary. :pac:

I enjoy people equating snow and swine flu. Wasn't there big snow fights a few months ago? Does mean there'll be swine flu fights? People running around trying to sneeze on one another?

• Advertisement

I enjoy people equating snow and swine flu. Wasn't there big snow fights a few months ago? Does mean there'll be swine flu fights? People running around trying to sneeze on one another?

People running around trying to infect eachother with various diseases. Yeah something like that has been a pastime in UCD for years, especially on USI junkets?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

We could always raid the virus research lab and literally hurl viruses at each other. That could be fun. A bit like Pokemon, but less cute, and in UCD, and with people getting sick and dying and stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

I seriously hope he is okay - he is a very nice guy.

EH - UCD was grand last year with the snow.

Some things were cancelled, most were not and a bitta craic with the snow in between
    just because you used it as a doss day....

How can a thread about Swine Flu in UCD reopen the "People were pushed off bikes and pelted with rocks hidden in snow v. The It was all just a bit of a laugh snow day" debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Ooh, sounds like we should sleep in till noon and not go to any lectures or tutorials ... for our own safety, of course.

I went to a conference in UCD a while ago. There were like 80 of us crammed into a classroom for a day. Three days later all of us were sick as dogs! Good times. Good times.

994 wrote: »
    Ooh, sounds like we should sleep in till noon and not go to any lectures or tutorials ... for our own safety, of course.

I agree. In fact, I've been practicing this since the college year ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Grimes wrote: »
    Scottie Ahearn as far as I know. He should visit his welfare officer

The welfare officer who had swine flu was on the six one news a half hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Overall at the minute is it not being debated that the common Flu kills more people each year than the swine flu? so Why is everyone so worried about the thing?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

IxM wrote: »
    so Why is everyone so worried about the thing?:rolleyes:

Because it's killing people in the middle of the summer and it's spreading increasingly faster. I'm not about getting all worried but you need to be realistic

Advertisement