Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rental Thingys à la Vélib' in Paris

Options
  • 21-07-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few of these around the place(Nassau Street, Stephen's Green, Merrion Square), at least, that's what I assume they are.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's the deal the council did with JC Decaux, personally I think it's a disgrace the way the pavements are being left after the holders are installed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

its the goverments plan to get more people cycling and leaving the cars at home. There will be loads of sights for them too, they were working on one at parnell square recently. theres also plans to provide a further 10KM of cycle track across the north side in the next year or so too, enevitably you'll see some of these sitting in your local canal but its nice to see we are catching up with the more developed transport systems around europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When's it gonna be operational?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Masada wrote: »
    enevitably you'll see some of these sitting in your local canal

:eek:

Some?

The little scrotes who inhabit our fair city's streets on a day to day basis will see this project abandoned within a year.

Unless there are plans for making people pay a deposit for these.

Even then, once they can spot the rental bikes, the scummers will target people on them.

If they got rid of the scum from the city, this could work, until then, it's doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In Paris, you swipe a debit or credit card, and it tots up how much you owe when you return it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I think this story was posted in a thread here about this before:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7881079.stm

But off course this won't happen here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Talked about here and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

In Barcelona you have to register your details to get the free bikes. I don't think it's a case of just picking up a bike and dropping it off at a random spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

exactly, you have to register your details on a touch screen/swipe thingy to take one, so if it goes walkies you are responsible for it.
    I think they are the same type as the ones used in Paris too, and once they lock into the receiver at the bike station there's no budging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 trish71

you will have to pre register and pay a fee of 10 euro per year. Rental is free for 30 minutes and then 50cent per hour or half hour after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Masada wrote: »
    I think they are the same type as the ones used in Paris too, and once they lock into the receiver at the bike station there's no budging them.
    Those poncey frogs, nothing compared to Dublins finest scrot's, the bikes'll be gone in no time. Actually perhaps we could get them rigged with car batteries some nasty and clear off a few of Dublin's finest, we could start with soap.

Advertisement